Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 2759 times)

Gardening
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
ok, so if anyone can help me, let me know here:

I have an interview for a gardening job (summer jobs rock btw) coming up, and I have some experience with landscaping, but very little with planting (which the job involves) - anyone that can give me advise, knowhow that type of thing, I'd appreciate it - I certainly want to be able to spend my summer outdoors and get a little money while I'm doing it
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I tried one a couple of summers ago, but the weeds got the better of it.  I did have one renegade cucumber that decided it was going to grow no matter how neglected it was. 

I ended up mowing over the whole [dang] thing.  Now we have a wold rhubarb and some mint growing on their own.

Good luck with the job interview though :)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I didn't even consider weeds, what's the consensus pull them or spray them? I'd say pull, I'm all about being green these days
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:50:34 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
CD, what do you need to know? I've been gardening for almost 20 yrs.
If you have landscape exp. that's a huge plus.
I'd assume they're not going to send you out with a truckload of plants and no experience, so I'd just be honest and say you like working outdoors, you have some landscaping experience, and you're willing to learn.
It's not all that complicated once you're shown how.

I'd also recommend lots of fluids, some sunscreen, sunglasses, and one of those goofy foreign legion hats that covers your ears and neck!
Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Gardening has become a hobby of mine recently, I have a veggie patch at my house with tomatoes, silverbeet, garlic, papaya, heaps of different onions, pineapple, parsley and chilli.  8) I really don't think I'd be able to help you due to the entirely different climates we each live in. Advice I could give you I guess is if you are replanting in a garden it's sometimes a good idea to rotate around where you place a certain type of plant, as to reduce the chance of soil disease.