Author Topic: Sam says he's fresh for the Pistons and Doc will play him more this series  (Read 10901 times)

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If "more" means five minutes a game, ok.
I think he will see at least 10-15 mins a game in this series

15 would be a mistake. 10 im ok with, leaves rondo 38.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
One thing is for sure: Doc will not be able to put Rondo and Eddie on the floor at the same time in this series.

If Ray plays like he did during the Cleveland series I think they should give it a try. I understand the defensive problems, especially with size, but Hamilton doesn't strike me as someone who would be very effective posting up and Eddie might be better than Ray and getting through screens and at least getting a hand in Rips face during jumpers. My thinking is Rip usually gets his shots running around, getting a couple screens, and popping a jumper. I'm thinking Eddie might be able to close out those screens quicker than Ray can at this point.

its not all about posting up, if your significantly bigger and taller than your defender (and rip is to eddie) then you get a good look at the basket every time.

same with how KG shoots over smaller guys in the post, rip has made a career of shooting over smaller gaurds.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Honestly, I could care less what Sam says, actions are stronger than words. If Doc plays him and it works, great. If Doc plays House and it works great. If Doc has to use House one day because he's hot then use a quick hook when he struggles to put Sam in and it works, great. If Doc has to use Sam one day because he's hot then use a quick hook when he struggles to put House in and it works, great.

I don't care!!

As long as it works I could care less who's feelings are hurt, who is used, who is not used, what everyone here at Celticsblog thinks, what the ooposition thinks or what my dog thinks.

All I want is it to work and for the Celtics to advance.

Last series the Celtics would have had a hard time winning games 1 & 2 without Sam and hard pressed to win game 5 and 7 without House. They were both pivotal in the series and both can contribute. So use what's working until it isn't working and go in another direction.

It worked last series, it can work again this series.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I could care less what Sam says, actions are stronger than words. If Doc plays him and it works, great. If Doc plays House and it works great. If Doc has to use House one day because he's hot then use a quick hook when he struggles to put Sam in and it works, great. If Doc has to use Sam one day because he's hot then use a quick hook when he struggles to put House in and it works, great.

I don't care!!

As long as it works I could care less who's feelings are hurt, who is used, who is not used, what everyone here at Celticsblog thinks, what the ooposition thinks or what my dog thinks.

All I want is it to work and for the Celtics to advance.

Last series the Celtics would have had a hard time winning games 1 & 2 without Sam and hard pressed to win game 5 and 7 without House. They were both pivotal in the series and both can contribute. So use what's working until it isn't working and go in another direction.

It worked last series, it can work again this series.

TP!!

Great post.  This really is all that matters.  We can all sit here and try to say what should be done, and what will be done, but the fact is, these coaches have a lot more information and resources than any of us do.  There are going to be gameplans put in to defend certain players.  No matter what Doc wants to do now, he will have to make adjustments throughout single games, and the entire series.  Whether its House coming in first, or Cassell, I am confident they each will play a role in this series...the only question is whether Doc will push the right buttons at the right times.

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Regarding Eddie's being abused in the first Detroit game...

I might well be insane (pretty sure that I am), but Eddie seemed to me to grow into the PG spot as the season wore on.  He seemed to be a bit more comfortable, and the offense seemed to flow better with Eddie at the 1 later in the season (pre-Cassell) than at the beginning.  I don't have any stats to back that up, but Eddie didn't seem to have as many problems against Chauncey in the later games.  I mean, he didn't exactly light Detroit on fire (we'll leave that for Pistons fans should they happen to win the title), but as the season progressed he seemed to get better.

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Oh, how quickly people forget how bad our ball handing is without Rondo on the floor....  Remember the 1st home game against Detroit where Lindsey Hunter wouldn't let the Celtics advance past half court on three consecutive possessions?  That was our first home loss - we were exposed.

This series is the exact reason we signed Sam Cassell.  That said, I don't know why he bothers telling the media he's going to get more minutes this series.  While true, he knows it, and he should know better and keep quiet.

To me, this proves that Cassell is still insecure about his role on the team and his performance thus far.  Disappointing, because I was looking forward to seeing him back next year - if the season were to end today, I doubt he'd be back based on his performance.  Time will tell.

I'm glad House had two great showings the last two games, especially given the horrible slump he was in the last 25 some odd games of the season.  People blame it on Cassell's arrival, but the fact is that House's performance dropped even before the Cassell signing.

We are going to need Eddie to continue to perform at that high-energy level when called upon, whether he plays 15 minutes or 15 seconds.

He had one turnover in that game, where's the huge problem?

By he, I assume you mean House... sure, the statistics show that he had one turnover.  That wasn't my point, nor does it factor in the fact Posey picked up two within 35 seconds due to House's inability to bring the ball up against a full court press.

What I was saying is that Sam should not be saying things like this to the media, and that it was great to see Eddie break out of his slump after getting no minutes for virtually the whole playoffs...

I don't think there is a problem.
God bless and good night!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Regarding Eddie's being abused in the first Detroit game...

I might well be insane (pretty sure that I am), but Eddie seemed to me to grow into the PG spot as the season wore on.  He seemed to be a bit more comfortable, and the offense seemed to flow better with Eddie at the 1 later in the season (pre-Cassell) than at the beginning.  I don't have any stats to back that up, but Eddie didn't seem to have as many problems against Chauncey in the later games.  I mean, he didn't exactly light Detroit on fire (we'll leave that for Pistons fans should they happen to win the title), but as the season progressed he seemed to get better.

I think you are correct in general, although I think a lot had to do with matchups.  All season, House has had trouble with heavy pressure, and that is something that Detroit excels at.

Honestly, it is tough to tell what is going to happen, but based on what I have seen throughout the season, I expect to see more of Cassell this series.  He just is a better matchup...but then again, if Flip coaches like he did in the last C's-Pistons game, I wouldn't put it past him to not pressure as much, and allow the C's to use House more. 

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Oh, how quickly people forget how bad our ball handing is without Rondo on the floor....  Remember the 1st home game against Detroit where Lindsey Hunter wouldn't let the Celtics advance past half court on three consecutive possessions?  That was our first home loss - we were exposed.

This series is the exact reason we signed Sam Cassell.  That said, I don't know why he bothers telling the media he's going to get more minutes this series.  While true, he knows it, and he should know better and keep quiet.

To me, this proves that Cassell is still insecure about his role on the team and his performance thus far.  Disappointing, because I was looking forward to seeing him back next year - if the season were to end today, I doubt he'd be back based on his performance.  Time will tell.

I'm glad House had two great showings the last two games, especially given the horrible slump he was in the last 25 some odd games of the season.  People blame it on Cassell's arrival, but the fact is that House's performance dropped even before the Cassell signing.

We are going to need Eddie to continue to perform at that high-energy level when called upon, whether he plays 15 minutes or 15 seconds.

The Celtics should only worry about that if the Pistons move Hunter past the rookie on the depth chart. 

I don't see Flip doing that move.  Not exactly the best coach in the playoffs.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't know why Doc will go back to him this series when Eddie House has been so effective for us. I hope House gets more minutes than Cassell.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
One thing is for sure: Doc will not be able to put Rondo and Eddie on the floor at the same time in this series.

If Ray plays like he did during the Cleveland series I think they should give it a try. I understand the defensive problems, especially with size, but Hamilton doesn't strike me as someone who would be very effective posting up and Eddie might be better than Ray and getting through screens and at least getting a hand in Rips face during jumpers. My thinking is Rip usually gets his shots running around, getting a couple screens, and popping a jumper. I'm thinking Eddie might be able to close out those screens quicker than Ray can at this point.

its not all about posting up, if your significantly bigger and taller than your defender (and rip is to eddie) then you get a good look at the basket every time.

same with how KG shoots over smaller guys in the post, rip has made a career of shooting over smaller gaurds.

Agreed, I don't think the matchup is a good one for the C's, I'm just thinking it might not be as bad for the team as it first looks. Rays not going to block the shot and Eddie might be able to at least get a hand in his face more frequently than Ray. Either way I feel like Rip's going to put up some good numbers

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Like it or not, his ball handling will most likely be needed.  As pointed out earlier House was exposed against Hunter in the first game and we cannot afford to see critical turnovers like that again.  Coming from someone who has followed KG's career I can tell you that Cassell might have just enough left in the tank to come through big in the next series (or hopefully two).

Let's hope Doc can use his better judgement about who to play and where.

Offline PlayRyanGomes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
I find it all very shocking how people still want to see Cassell play.  It was a breath of fresh air seeing House in there the last 2 games.  House is a better shooter, passer, defender, provides more energy, and has the added benefit of actually knowing all of the team's plays.  When Cassell comes in it's the methodically dribble the ball up the court, stand around, and watch Cassell try to get his on national tv show.  Just horrible basketball.  He's second on the team behind KG in field goal attempts per 48 minutes in the playoffs.  He's a 30% shooting gunner.  On the defensive end he's comically inept.

This is not a matter of matchups.  Cassell couldn't guard the chair I'm sitting in.  His comments to the media reveal what a selfish player he is.  This is a matter of playing the superior player and thus the player who gives the Celtics the best chance of winning.  E. House
I'm just a celticsblogger.  We gonna blog on a sock, we gonna blog on a sock.

Offline Raygus

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 19
doc's going to go with cassell. sam's in boston for this series, and i dont think he'll disappoint. just a hunch.

i just hope that if ray's shot isn't falling, doc has the wisdom to give tony allen a little burn and let him check rip. i gotta think that chauncey will get his (if he's healthy) and that rip hamilton will be the key to this series.

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
It be a shame if Eddie gets cast off again just because Sam has been 'assured' some things beforehand.  I have no problem who gets minutes as long as they've earned it.  Eddie's certainly earned every minute he got in the Cleveland series.  Sam got more run than he deserved.  We'll have to see how they fare against Detroit.  I expect both will get their chance.  Right now, I like Eddie a lot more than Sam.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder if Sam has been Doc's first choice all along but went to House because Sam's back was hurting him to the point of not being able to play. So Sam took 3 games off and Eddie did well but if now Sam is feeling better he will once again get the minutes.

Just a theory.