Author Topic: National media are all on Detroit's jock  (Read 10223 times)

Re: National media are all on Detroit's jock
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »

Offline Babyeater

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
For all that experience they've only won a single title and are lucky Miami had injuries in 05 or they likely would have lost in the ECF that year too.

Alright.  This is my first post on here.  And I will be honest with all of you:

1)  I am a Pistons fan.
2)  I am only posting on this blog site because the Pistons and Celtics are about to play in what hopefully will be one of the greatest series in NBA playoff history
3)  I will not claim to always be subjective in my posts about this series, but I will do my best to leave my unwavering homerism back at the Pistons blogs.
4)  I don't expect you to treat me with any respect, but being the good guy that I am, I will do my best to respect you, your team, and your blogsite.

The national media jumping on the Pistons bandwagon is equally frustrating for many Pistons fans since as you know when you've got something to prove, you're likely to play with a bit more fire/passion/desire (whatever you want to call it).

Honestly, I was surprised to see any but the local media in Detroit favoring the Pistons over the Celtics in this series since I was under the impression that since Day One, just about everyone expected the Celtics to be in the Finals at the very least if not destroy everyone on their way to the Finals.

While I think that they're atrocious playoff road record is reason for concern, ultimately, they don't need to win a game in Detroit if they protect home court like they have thus far.

But rest assured that if there is a team in this league that can beat the Celtics on their homecourt, the Pistons are that team.

So here's to a fantastic hopefully six game series with Detroit winning 4-2 (;D).

Finally, until this Celtics team has been to six straight ECF's, 2 NBA Finals, and won a championship, I think it's a bit ridiculous to claim that Detroit isn't all that special simply because they got lucky a few of those years.  OF COURSE THEY GOT LUCKY.  Anyone who says luck doesn't play a factor in a playoff run must be crazy.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:54:28 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
While I HOPE that yesterdays performance will carry over into the Detroit series I'm not counting on it. Going 7 games and blowing out the Hawks in the end didn't help us any in our away games with the Cavs. And Detroit is more than capable of winning one in Boston.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Celtics are due for a road win.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
I hope that becoming the underdogs...and disrespecting what the Celtics have done this season will wake them up!

I sense a lack of urgency when they play on the road and the team is not running plays for Ray. I expect that to change in Game 1. 

I said here first - major breakout game for Ray on Tuesday.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

Offline 35Reggie

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Detroit isn't as tough as Cleveland. They're virtually the same team with Rip instead of Lebron and more offense from the PF position in Rasheed. I think KG owns Rasheed in this series and maybe even gets him to commit a few techs. The biggest challenge they will have is containing Billups if Cassell continues to play like crap.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline Babyeater

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Detroit isn't as tough as Cleveland. They're virtually the same team with Rip instead of Lebron and more offense from the PF position in Rasheed. I think KG owns Rasheed in this series and maybe even gets him to commit a few techs. The biggest challenge they will have is containing Billups if Cassell continues to play like crap.

I don't even know what to do with this post but laugh.  Objectivity is certainly not your strong suit.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Cleveland was better than Detroit last year.  Some Detroit fans seem to ignore that fact since they are busy making their plans for the finals because Boston struggled with Atlanta and Cleveland.  Also concerning KG and Wallace they aren't very comparable and that's as objective as I can be without being to disrespectful.  Also I’m not so sure that Billups vs Rondo match up is not push but, I’ll grant that I maybe in the minority in regards to that point.  It should be a long series.  I’m hoping we see the real Detroit team and not the regular season Detroit team.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
While the C's have played out of sync on the road, they've been just fine at home.  Why does anyone think the Pistons will win one of these first 2 games in Boston?  That makes no sense.  Our home dominance is just too much for them to overcome.  I think tonight's or maybe Thursday's game will even be a blowout.

So then the question becomes, can Detroit come back from an 0-2 hole to win a 7 game series w/o home court?  I say no.  Our role players play so very well on the parquet floor.  While they stink on the road, this team plays like a Hall of Fame squad right on down to the 12th man when the crowd is behind them.  No way Detroit beats us here.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
While the C's have played out of sync on the road, they've been just fine at home.  Why does anyone think the Pistons will win one of these first 2 games in Boston?  That makes no sense.  Our home dominance is just too much for them to overcome.  I think tonight's or maybe Thursday's game will even be a blowout.

So then the question becomes, can Detroit come back from an 0-2 hole to win a 7 game series w/o home court?  I say no.  Our role players play so very well on the parquet floor.  While they stink on the road, this team plays like a Hall of Fame squad right on down to the 12th man when the crowd is behind them.  No way Detroit beats us here.

I can think of a few reasons one might think detroit will take one in boston;

1) clevland almost got 2, games 1 and 7. detroit is a much better team than the lebron and friends show.

2) the've won in boston, somethign neither the cavs or hawks had done all year.

3) they are a good road team, and battle tested.

4) Game 1 could be tough on boston, coming off a war,  with detroit havign them well scouted/ practiced for and a week of rest.

I don't think detroit will win in boston these first 2 games, but i can see why they have an excellent chance.

also, i really can't fault the media for picking detroit, we are downright terrable on the road, have a key part of our offense mired in a prolonged slump, and have matchup issues at the point, where our second year, really first year starter will be going against one of his generations best point gaurds.

so yea, i don't really think what the media is saying is unfounded.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
But Detroit's best player is hobbled by a bad hammy, and he has to guard the 2nd or 3rd quickest player in the NBA!!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
But Detroit's best player is hobbled by a bad hammy, and he has to guard the 2nd or 3rd quickest player in the NBA!!!!

all reports are he is fine, he's had almost 2 weeks to rest it. it was a strain, not a tear or anything.

and, as has been mentioned before, rajon hasen't been attacking outside of game 5, so billips will probley not gaurd him out on the wing on most posessions, making rajon's quickness less of a factor.

regardless, im not saying detroit will win, i hate detroit and think we'll take this in 5 or 6. my point is you really can't fault the media for picking detroit, we havent exactly given them a reason to pick us with our horrable road play and incosistant offense.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

all reports are he is fine, he's had almost 2 weeks to rest it. it was a strain, not a tear or anything.

and, as has been mentioned before, rajon hasen't been attacking outside of game 5, so billips will probley not gaurd him out on the wing on most posessions, making rajon's quickness less of a factor.

regardless, im not saying detroit will win, i hate detroit and think we'll take this in 5 or 6. my point is you really can't fault the media for picking detroit, we havent exactly given them a reason to pick us with our horrable road play and incosistant offense.

The guy did a freakin split...There is no way that hammy is 100% and Rondo should take it right at him and force the issue..The media might be one thing but the Vegas line is boston in this Series,
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »

Offline CelticKings

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aienf65o9A3BFyZzSJOGvna8vLYF?slug=aw-celticspistonsgameonepreview052008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

so earlier this year, you'd never read an article like this. it was all about how the celtics were the new 'beast of the east' and the pistons were too old or werent going to play with the fire that the celtics had coming out to a 29 - 3 start. but now that we've struggled a bit in the playoffs and the pistons havent needed a game 7 yet, all of the sudden we dont have what it takes.

and btw i dont necessarily think that being called the best in your conference is always a good thing, however its crazy to change your position as much as the national media has by a teams performances in just two series. 

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I keep hearing that Detroit is better than Cleveland but I don't think that is true. I think if Detroit had played Cleveland this year they would have lost. We match up very well with Detroit. It will be the best match ups for us in these playoffs so far.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

The guy did a freakin split...There is no way that hammy is 100% and Rondo should take it right at him and force the issue..The media might be one thing but the Vegas line is boston in this Series,

well nevermind then, forget our road preformances and needing 7 to finsh off two inferior teams because of it, vegas has our backs. ::)

and no, im sure the hammy isn't 100%, but 2 weeks is alot of time to rest a strain. and rondo should be agressive regardless, but no ones 100% right now, lets be honest. pierce is admitidly nursing his knees and the quad from the other night, along with his back. Everyones beat up, i'm not goign to put any faith in some scenario where chuancy can't play through a hamstring strain.

the point is, again, looking at it objectivly, the media should be favoring detroit. the've looked like the better team all playoffs. doesn't mean they are, but they are clearly playing better at the moment. unless your a boston sports writer, if your being objective, based on whats happened so far, the pistons are playing at a higher level.