Author Topic: National media are all on Detroit's jock  (Read 10208 times)

National media are all on Detroit's jock
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I keep seeing all these national media guys like Jim Rome(not that I put much stock into his thoughts), Greg Anthony , Mike and the Mad Dog and Espn writers all saying how crappy the celtics look and how Detriot is absolutely going to win a Road game in this series and Boston can't win in Detriot.

Detriot is not a great team!! the last 2 years they have choked in the conference finals . They are living off that 1 title they won 5 years ago, a good team evry year yes , but not a great team(they are like the atlanta braves of basketball, always in the playoffs ,but only 1 championship). The media is all saying that a 1 man team(lebron's) ALMOST beat the Celtics this year, how quickly they  forget that a 1 man team(lebron's) actually DID BEAT the pistons last year!!

I like the fact that everyone is taking Detriot in this series, it's just going to be that much sweeter when these fools have to eat their own words.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:06:53 PM by Redz »

Re: National media is all on Detriot's jock
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
i love how all these guys jumped off the wagon. If they had any sort of ability to think and break down their problems they wouldn't be so quick to count them out. There are many factors that have played into these playoffs losses. How can anyone reasonably say that they are pretenders. I have not heard one of them say Boston can do it if they play the way they are capable. It's not that our team sucks its that they are slumping offensivley. How in the world can you count out a team that has all these weapons. I will be the house that if allen gets hot this series and they look like they did in the regular season that they will be changing their tune. >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

Re: National media is all on Detriot's jock
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I will be the house that if allen gets hot this series and they look like they did in the regular season that they will be changing their tune. >:(

that was weird, I did that logical connection thing and thought you were going to be in the house, then that didn't make sense, so I'm like oh be the house, is this an Eddie reference I'm not getting, but now I understand the culprit is a missing t....

regardless, its pretty cool to say "I am the house, I be the house" pretty cool mantra if you ask me
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: National media are all on Detroit's jock
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I felt the exact way at the end of the season and had no fear of Detroit defeating Boston in 7 games. That was until the playoffs came around and Boston couldn't win one on the road against the Hawks and then the same thing with Cleavland.
Ray Allen can't throw a brick in the ocean right now and Sam I Am is turning out to be a bust.
Detroit had it's bumps in the playoffs too. But they took care of the opponents faster and in their homes and have looked like the better team right now. I also think that the Pistons can and will win one on Boston's court. Possibly even game one.
I have no idea who will win this series at all. IF and I say IF Boston returns to the level of play they had before and can win on the road and have production from all 3 of the "Big 3" then I feel they can win. If they play like they have offensively
so far then we will lose this one in 6 probably.
I HATE Detroit and do feel they are overrated. But I can't ignore the fact they are a good team with more experience playing in the Playoffs together than Boston has.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
good, i prefer to be the underdog.  maybe the team will play better and be more hungry as the underdog.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
For all that experience they've only won a single title and are lucky Miami had injuries in 05 or they likely would have lost in the ECF that year too.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Frankly I agree with the national media.  The Celtics have not looked like a team that could beat Detroit.

There is no way that Cassell can handle Billups OR Rodney Stuckey, who can flat out play, and Tony Allen hasn't played in weeks.  Then you have Ray Allen, who seems to be playing at half speed, trying to cover Rip Hamilton.

If I thought the Celtics could get out and run on a consistent basis, I would give them a good chance.  But they haven't shown they can do that, and certainly not with Cassell on the floor.  They will lose playing slow down, half court basketball against the pistons. 

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Objectively, I think Detroit will win in 6.  The Cs just aren't playing in synch, for whatever reason or reasons.  Of course, that could change quickly, but Detroit is a well-honed machine, and I think they'll edge us out, beginning in game 1.

I hope I'm wrong.   :'(  Before the playoffs started, I gave us a 55% chance of beating Detroit, with them having a 45% chance of beating us.  Let's face it, we're pretty evenly matched.  But aside from not being in synch, it's becoming clear that the Cs have some fairly big holes in their lineup, more than Detroit has. Plus, Flip > Doc. 

At least, with all these 7-game serieses, Danny must have a good idea of the tinkering necessary in putting together next year's squad.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Frankly I agree with the national media.  The Celtics have not looked like a team that could beat Detroit.

There is no way that Cassell can handle Billups OR Rodney Stuckey, who can flat out play, and Tony Allen hasn't played in weeks.  Then you have Ray Allen, who seems to be playing at half speed, trying to cover Rip Hamilton.

If I thought the Celtics could get out and run on a consistent basis, I would give them a good chance.  But they haven't shown they can do that, and certainly not with Cassell on the floor.  They will lose playing slow down, half court basketball against the pistons. 

Imagine that Brick. You think the Celtics are bad. What a revelation! How are those Raptors and Twolves treating you?!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Objectively, I think Detroit will win in 6.  The Cs just aren't playing in synch, for whatever reason or reasons.  Of course, that could change quickly, but Detroit is a well-honed machine, and I think they'll edge us out, beginning in game 1.

I hope I'm wrong.   :'(  Before the playoffs started, I gave us a 55% chance of beating Detroit, with them having a 45% chance of beating us.  Let's face it, we're pretty evenly matched.  But aside from not being in synch, it's becoming clear that the Cs have some fairly big holes in their lineup, more than Detroit has. Plus, Flip > Doc. 

At least, with all these 7-game serieses, Danny must have a good idea of the tinkering necessary in putting together next year's squad.
how can say Flip> Doc? What exactly has Flip done that shows he's a great coach. Last year when Lebron was killing the Pistons in game 5 He refused to send any double teams to Lebron. Lebron was just driving down the lane every time, how is that great coaching? he has never been past the conference final and lost in the 1st round for 7 straight years when he had KG in Minny....

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:08:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
they have reason to.  Outside of the stumble early against Philly they have been taking care of business.  We have been making 7 game series out of what should have been a sweep (First round) and a 5-6 game series tops in Cleveland. If they want to look "impartial" they have every reason to believe Detroit will win this series, now what the truth is...we'll find out.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:16:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Game 1 looms large. If I am the Pistons, I would see this as a huge opportunity to take advantage of the rest factor and stomp the C's.  This loss would be devastating.  If the C's can weather the storm in game 1, then game 2 becomes somewhat less of a must win.  I know, I know, the C's can't win in Detroit.  But my thinking is this: if the C's have ANY chance to beat Detroit it will be because they have found their groove and are back playing the the way they are capable of playing.  If not, they really have no chance.  But if so, they then have a chance to win in Detroit.  I think a game 2 loss can be overcome, but a game 1 loss will be too destructive.  Just my opinion. 

Either way, if I were a betting man, I'd take the Pistons.   But I am hoping the C's can get their intensity going in game 1 and carry it through for 4 quarters.  If so, they have a shot in this series.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
First of all, from years of watching the Wolves, Flip is a bad coach.

That said, I think KG has a big series he put up 24 a game on 54% shooting this year versus Detroit and got to the line over 8 times a game. I expect big things from him.

Detroit played well against Orlando but they were expected to win in 5 games by most pundits. Cleveland was considered the tougher second round opponent and would have given Detroit just as much trouble as they did Boston if not more.

Here are some Detroit questions/concerns:

1) How healthy is Billups?

2) Will Billups be able to guard Rondo after he struggled against a fast guard in Miller in
   Round One?

3) Will they be able to guard KG effectively?

4) Will Prince be able to provide offense against Pierce?

5) Will Wallace be able to keep his emotions in check?

6) How will there bench perform?

7) Will their complacent attitude hurt them?

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 07:47:07 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I can easily see this series going 7, with either team winning.  Or I can see it being over in 5, either team again.

My hope is that yesterday's truly excellent game might just fuel the Celtics to perform better in the more "clutch" situations... like, say, on the road?

And if Ray remembers who he is, then I'd definitely say we're the favorites.  I hope Pierce can carry his breakthrough performance ahead!

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I agree that Flip is a bad coach, but Rivers is worse.