Author Topic: Ray Allen facing "serious" off-court family issues / Ray gripes to media  (Read 19375 times)

Re: Ray Allen facing "serious" off-court family issues
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here are Ray's quotes:

“Personally, it’s been tougher than anything I’ve ever seen,” Allen admitted after practice yesterday at HealthPoint. “They did everything they could to try to take away anything that I have. So they made it tough for me to create any type of rhythm out there. So, kudos to their game plan.”

During the regular season, the Pistons crowded Allen only on pick-and-rolls.
Allen expects Detroit to follow Cleveland’s game plan.
“They put me in a situation where you become a playmaker as much as a scorer,” Allen said, “but I would like to be involved more, just trying to create that rhythm in my offense throughout the flow of the game.”

Allen said it’s up to his teammates, especially point guard Rajon Rondo, to get him more involved. Winning has helped Allen accept his role — at least up to a point — as a decoy, drawing defenders away from Pierce and Garnett.

“But,” Allen said, “we still can’t forget the contributions that I do, and can, make out there on the floor, so it’s important for Doc and the guys to recognize so they keep me involved in the offense.”

And Doc's:

Quote from: Doc Rivers
“Cleveland took it to a different level,” coach Doc Rivers said. “They did it on everything. No one’s done that. We don’t mind that. We got layups and dunks off of that. We didn’t make them all, but we got a lot of them. For Ray, it’s a different role.”
“If they’re going to trap Ray on every catch,” Rivers said, “he has to make the right decision for the team and not try to get himself going. I thought the one game in Cleveland he forced it a little bit, but other than that, I thought Ray did exactly what he should do. If they’re going to trap you, make the correct pass, and if the guys he passes to score, they’ll stop trapping.”

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080520/NEWS/805200601/1009

Ray was definitely griping a bit, but it's not like it was over the top.  He just indicated that he wants everyone to remember that he's still an elite player, and needs to get the ball in positions to score.  That's an understandable sentiment, if not one that should be divulged to the media.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Roy said:
Ray was definitely griping a bit, but it's not like it was over the top.  He just indicated that he wants everyone to remember that he's still an elite player, and needs to get the ball in positions to score.  That's an understandable sentiment, if not one that should be divulged to the media.

That's my take too.  There's a difference between a guy analyzing his situation and a guy griping.  Sounds like he's being more analytical than anything, but because he's talking about himself it comes across as a bit more of a gripe.
Yup

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here are Ray's quotes:

“Personally, it’s been tougher than anything I’ve ever seen,” Allen admitted after practice yesterday at HealthPoint. “They did everything they could to try to take away anything that I have. So they made it tough for me to create any type of rhythm out there. So, kudos to their game plan.”

During the regular season, the Pistons crowded Allen only on pick-and-rolls.
Allen expects Detroit to follow Cleveland’s game plan.
“They put me in a situation where you become a playmaker as much as a scorer,” Allen said, “but I would like to be involved more, just trying to create that rhythm in my offense throughout the flow of the game.”

Allen said it’s up to his teammates, especially point guard Rajon Rondo, to get him more involved. Winning has helped Allen accept his role — at least up to a point — as a decoy, drawing defenders away from Pierce and Garnett.

“But,” Allen said, “we still can’t forget the contributions that I do, and can, make out there on the floor, so it’s important for Doc and the guys to recognize so they keep me involved in the offense.”

And Doc's:

Quote from: Doc Rivers
“Cleveland took it to a different level,” coach Doc Rivers said. “They did it on everything. No one’s done that. We don’t mind that. We got layups and dunks off of that. We didn’t make them all, but we got a lot of them. For Ray, it’s a different role.”
“If they’re going to trap Ray on every catch,” Rivers said, “he has to make the right decision for the team and not try to get himself going. I thought the one game in Cleveland he forced it a little bit, but other than that, I thought Ray did exactly what he should do. If they’re going to trap you, make the correct pass, and if the guys he passes to score, they’ll stop trapping.”

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080520/NEWS/805200601/1009

Thanks Roy.  And I also just watched the clip from Drive for 17 (I had orginally seen it on Sports Tonight, which was definitely different).

Honestly, from all that, I don't think it was too bad at all.  Clearly Ray is frustrated, and I get the feeling he was asked a bit of a leading question to bring about those comments, but I didn't think they were all that bad.  I don't think he threw anyone under the bus, he just stated the truth...the ball needs to find its way to him in a good spot, if he is going to break out of it. 

I never fault a player for being honest like he was.  He wasn't being cocky, or self-centered, and he was certainly not attacking anyone.  He was just a frustrated player, who was giving credit to the defense, while reminding everyone that he is still the player he always was, and he shouldn't be forgotten.

Sure, maybe he should have held his tongue a bit more, and just gone with the standard lines...but there was nothing very offensive about what he said.

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was all prepared to be indignant about how Ray is portrayed as the consummate professional and then this... but this doesn't really seem that bad to me?  It's not like he's insulting anyone or anything.  It sounds to me like he was just trying to figure out his situation/stating a fact.  If anything, Rondo seems to agree with him?  The quote right before that Ray's saying he needed to rely on his teammates (especially the point guard(s)), which is probably where the quote on Rondo stemmed from.

Honestly, it just seems like the media is blowing it slightly out of proportion.

Edit:  Having read the whole globe article, it seems even less of a big deal.  He doesn't even sound like he's bitter.  Maybe his tone of voice on the show was different?

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
RE:  Doc throwing players under the bus.....
For truth in reporting purposes I am and have always been a Doc fan.
I watch too many games and see too many post-game press conferences and I remember Doc "calling out" ONE player in all the time he's been here. That player was Mark Blount and Doc's comments hit the MARK. Blount was complaining that he wasn't getting enough shots. Doc said MARK should get some $%^&*^ rebounds. Again, for truth in reporting purposes, I never did like Mark Blount.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said earlier I think his comments on Sam were analytical and praise worthy of Sam. His comments about not getting the balls in the right place and rhythm are truthful.

But this comment:

and this:

"With Rajon, he's the point guard and I think he has to become more aware of just getting me more easier looks," said Allen. "The whole team does."

and this:

"Well, I got to get rhythm. I got to establish getting the ball and shooting the ball. If you shoot the ball four times in a game, you're not going to get any rhythm."

were rather unfortunate comments that did show his frustration and put the onus elsewhere. I don't think Doc or his teammates cared a hoot about the comments and to a point agreed with them.

But those three comments were rather petty and not like the Ray Allen we have seen or heard from all year.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As I said earlier I think his comments on Sam were analytical and praise worthy of Sam. His comments about not getting the balls in the right place and rhythm are truthful.

But this comment:

and this:

"With Rajon, he's the point guard and I think he has to become more aware of just getting me more easier looks," said Allen. "The whole team does."

and this:

"Well, I got to get rhythm. I got to establish getting the ball and shooting the ball. If you shoot the ball four times in a game, you're not going to get any rhythm."

were rather unfortunate comments that did show his frustration and put the onus elsewhere. I don't think Doc or his teammates cared a hoot about the comments and to a point agreed with them.

But those three comments were rather petty and not like the Ray Allen we have seen or heard from all year.

I saw them as not necessarily appropriate, but I didn't find them to be petty.  Ray is a rhythm shooter, and to get into that rhythm, he needs more than four shots per game.  It's the initiator of the offense's -- in this case, Rajon's -- duty to get Ray the ball in the right place.

The thing is, Rondo agreed with him.  Much adieu about nothing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But this comment:

and this:

and this:

I saw them as not necessarily appropriate, but I didn't find them to be petty.  Ray is a rhythm shooter, and to get into that rhythm, he needs more than four shots per game.  It's the initiator of the offense's -- in this case, Rajon's -- duty to get Ray the ball in the right place.

The thing is, Rondo agreed with him.  Much adieu about nothing.
True that, not a big deal and I think everyone in the organization realizes Ray is right.

I only thought they were petty comments because they were ill timed, in public, and not really necessary. There's no law that says you have to answer every question and some things, even as minor as this, should stay in the lockerroom.

That's the only reason I said petty. Keep it in the family is my motto, for those type of things.

I guess not appropriate is another good way of describing it.

Still. Much ado about nothing.

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:32 AM »

Offline rmcc4444

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
TP for posting this.

Now perhaps people will get off Allen's back.

if this is true, he needs to do whats best for the team and let others get his minutes.