Author Topic: Anti-Detroit PA Announcer thread - "Deeeeee-troit basketball!"  (Read 13792 times)

Re: Anti-Detroit PA Announcer thread - "Deeeeee-troit basketball!"
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Somewhat off-topic, but I've never understood why announcers will shout the scorer and mumble the assist, even on a great pass or play by the home team - "PAUL PIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRCEEEEE! ...from Kevin Garnett."

Especially in a season that's supposed to be all about the team concept, you'd think they'd want to promote a great play in its entirety instead of just the guy who put it in

Check my thread history - I pioneered this!  Although, I used it as a rebuttal for some guy's claim that Perk doesn't stink because he has the all-time FG% record.

"KENNNN-DRICKKK PPPPERRKKKKKIINS!........from Paul Pierce."

Can't speak to Andy Jick because I don't want BC and don't remember him on the Celts, but the only reason I brought up Eddie Pal to begin with was to highlight the irony of the homerism in the OP.  There are certainly cultural differences between Boston and Detroit, and our PA announcers reflect that.

The point I was (apparently feebly) making was that you shouldn't be anti a PA announcer for doing his job.  Feel free to be anti Pistons, anti-Billups, etc., but if it's the PA guy you have to find a gripe with to get hyped up for this series, well, I don't know what to tell you.

And on that note, let the embibing begin.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
can someone share the story behind andy jick's not being the public address announcer...i really loved that guy.  i live in florida so i'm not privy to all the information you locals have.  thanks!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
can someone share the story behind andy jick's not being the public address announcer...i really loved that guy.  i live in florida so i'm not privy to all the information you locals have.  thanks!

If I'm not mistaken Rick Pitino fired him to help move the Celtics into the new era. (Everything Pitino touched went to ruin before our very eyes)

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:20 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
DEEEEEETROIT TURRRNNNNOOOOVVVVAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

That is my remedy for that.

The most irritating announcer was that announcer for the Washington Bullets back in the 1970's when he would say!

[size=36]EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

SPOOOOOOOOON!!!!! [/size]

Gawd that voice put the spell on the officials to call everything Washingtons way back in the 70s.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Hey, A little off topic, but am I crazy for going to Detroit saturday for game 3?  Considering I can get tix for 40 bucks, and get 3 other guys in on it... the gas + food won't be that expensive considering how much tix are on stubhub.

what do you think? would you do this?

How did you work that deal? 40 Bucks is 1980's prices.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great thread that is so annoying. Yet DEEEEEE-TROIT BASKET-BALL is only the second most annoying thing a PA in the league says. If we make it to the next round and so do the Spurs you will be treated to a rousing HERE COME THE SPURS out of every dead ball in which they have possession. Anyone agree? If you haven't heard it watch the next Spurs game at home and I dare you to tell me it's not worse than the Detroit thing.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

Offline TheConnection

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
How did you work that deal? 40 Bucks is 1980's prices

Stubhub.com as of Monday. Pretty insane if you ask me.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Great thread that is so annoying. Yet DEEEEEE-TROIT BASKET-BALL is only the second most annoying thing a PA in the league says. If we make it to the next round and so do the Spurs you will be treated to a rousing HERE COME THE SPURS out of every dead ball in which they have possession. Anyone agree? If you haven't heard it watch the next Spurs game at home and I dare you to tell me it's not worse than the Detroit thing.

The "Go Spurs Go" chant isn't any good either.

If ever there were an arena atmosphere that really makes a fan base seem undeserving of four titles in nine seasons...it's that one.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

If ever there were an arena atmosphere that really makes a fan base seem undeserving of four titles in nine seasons...it's that one.

-sw

One thing that has bothered me about crowds lately is how alike they are from city from city. They have pretty much the same chants with different words on them.  The arenas are using similar music and sound effects... what's the deal? I'm a bit tired of the rhythmic "blah blah blah blah *clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*". Everyone has that crappy chant.

What about hearing a huge "Here we go Celtics, here we go *clap clap*" or something a bit more unique like that? I rarely hear it.  It's like all we do is recycle the same chant and simply change the words depending of the situation... and it's the same for most arenas.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »

Offline skowbball1999

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 9
The Detroit PA guy is Busch league. He shouldn't be able to act like an idiot like he does.

Actually a lot of PA guys are idiots. Thats the nature of their job.

Except for the Lakers PA guy, classic. Give me more of him.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
The Detroit PA guy is Busch league. He shouldn't be able to act like an idiot like he does.

Actually a lot of PA guys are idiots. Thats the nature of their job.

Except for the Lakers PA guy, classic. Give me more of him.

What do you mean by 'shouldn't be able to'?  It seems to me that Mason certainly does the job he's hired to do -- bring high energy and get the crowd into it.  People in Detroit seem to love him.

-sw

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I can't stand him at all, and genuinely hate the obnoxious DEEE-TROIT BAAAASKETBALL chant, but I guess that's the point. They don't want you to like it. I would be much happier with a normal speaking voice just giving out the info. The hype man craze hopefully will die out in the NBA, the guy in Cleveland on the court was just dumb, made it look like an And 1 game.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
I can't stand him at all, and genuinely hate the obnoxious DEEE-TROIT BAAAASKETBALL chant, but I guess that's the point. They don't want you to like it. I would be much happier with a normal speaking voice just giving out the info. The hype man craze hopefully will die out in the NBA, the guy in Cleveland on the court was just dumb, made it look like an And 1 game.

Absolutely.  Love Mason, can't stand that guy.  What a clown.

-sw

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

-sw

How about the atmosphere of chanting a role player's name for deliberately injuring the other team's best scorer while said scorer is still writhing on the ground?

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Aside from PA announcers, I am a huge fan of the "These Refs Suck!!!" and "Ref You Suck!!!" chants. The referees need to know when they are ruining a game. At game 7 vs. Cleveland, I don't think I have ever heard the bull**** chant so loud and clear, it was as if every single person was saying it in unison.