Author Topic: Anti-Detroit PA Announcer thread - "Deeeeee-troit basketball!"  (Read 13789 times)

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
naw....he got flava...pumps the crowd..thats his job....

bbbbbillups...!!

Exactly.  At least the crowd can unite around his catch phrases.

Eddie Palladino is a great guy and all, but "WHOOOOOOO WANTS A TEE SHIRT?!?!?" isn't exactly the most inspiring thing in the world.
God bless and good night!

Offline bevtown88

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0

bbbbbillups...!!

Eddie Palladino is a great guy and all, but "WHOOOOOOO WANTS A TEE SHIRT?!?!?" isn't exactly the most inspiring thing in the world.

Eddie P is a hero!  I will admit he cant try a little too hard though trying to be more relevant (ex. yelling GEEEE...P! for Payton when he played here, yelling KG, Big Baby)  I know what the nicknames are buddy, just ask me if I want a t shirt and were cool

Re: Anti-Detroit PA Announcer thread - "Deeeeee-troit basketball!"
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

Offline VINandTonic42

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't Dickerson the announcer before eddie?

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

he tried out a few games...he sucked.

bring back andy jick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29

he tried out a few games...he sucked.

bring back andy jick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree I loved Andy Jick's voice and style. So professional and official. He treated it like a true PA would for a basketball game. The fans didn't need "Pumping up"

I also liked how he stayed after the game and read player stats aloud. Does anyone do that anymore?

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »

Offline VOG

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think that Eddie Palladino does a great job...his Pierce for threeeeee is a Garden classic...my kids at home watching the games try to imitate him...the nicknames are great too...good mix of old school announcing and just a touch of today's NBA PA'S...Heard him yesterday on Kiss108...sounds like a great guy and a true Celtic fan.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
I agree. Andy Jick was a true professional. I don't think the announcer should try to pump the fans. For one thing, he's supposed to be an official part of the scoring crew, so he should at least pretend to be impartial. When the clock shot broke, it was disconcerting to hear the time called by the same guy who was clearly biased in favor of the home team.

We have Lucky, the Green Team, the Celtics Pole Dancers, the DJ, the <menino>Jumbletroms</menino>, and more; all of them there to pump the crowd. That's enough. No, actually, that's too much. The team should pump the crowd by the way they play. Any other "pumping" is a sham. It's fake.

I'd rather hear Andy call the players by their real names, than have Eddie bellowing nicknames and speaking that bizarre "arena" language (e.g. "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!-ump ball!").
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:08:00 PM by Section 87 »

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
section 87 - TOTALLY agree...I loathe those stupid nicknames...

calling Garnett "KG"

calling Glen Davis "Big Baby"

I believe he's even referred to Pierce as "the truth"

I just HATE that - the celtics are DIFFERENT than every other team in the league...let's not stoop down to their level.

Andy Jick would always refer to every scorer by name and each who got credit for an assist was mentioned.  call me old school, but i really miss how Jick did it.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline bevtown88

• Jaden Springer
section 87 - TOTALLY agree...I loathe those stupid nicknames...

calling Garnett "KG"

calling Glen Davis "Big Baby"

I believe he's even referred to Pierce as "the truth"

I just HATE that - the celtics are DIFFERENT than every other team in the league...let's not stoop down to their level.

Andy Jick would always refer to every scorer by name and each who got credit for an assist was mentioned.  call me old school, but i really miss how Jick did it.

mannnnn thats what i said. those nicknames are lame as hell.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Hey, A little off topic, but am I crazy for going to Detroit saturday for game 3?  Considering I can get tix for 40 bucks, and get 3 other guys in on it... the gas + food won't be that expensive considering how much tix are on stubhub.

what do you think? would you do this?

I live in Toronto and am seriously considering going to Game 3 on Saturday.

I just don't want to get shot wearing my Celtic Green....thoughts?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »

Offline MBurke15

• Drew Peterson
The Orlando guy was the worst.

"Travel-INGA, INGA, INGA!!!!"

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

Offline Babyeater

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
For those of you considering making the trek to the Palace for Game 3, I wouldn't worry too much about Pistons fans being total ****s (not sure if swearing is allowed on this site), but I will tell you that their level of respect for you will be entirely derived from how annoying of a fan you are.

Like any fan in a hostile setting, if you go in there popping your jersey every 3 seconds and throwing out pelvic thrusts like candy at a thanksgiving day parade every time Pierce hits a shot, then fully expect the worst of it.

Keep in mind that Detroit and its surrounding areas are an incredibly depressed area economically so people could be more hostile than normal (although having the Wings in the Stanley Cup Playoffs could off-set the economic problems).

Oh and also take solace in knowing that the Palace of Auburn Hills is nowhere near downtown Detroit so your chances of being shot, robbed, mugged, carjacked, or otherwise victimized from violent crime is seriously reduced.

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

bbbbbillups...!!

Couldn't agree more with Bass and Brick.  I'm sure I'll be hanged for this one, but I've long been a Mason fan, and while he'll annoy the hell out of me for the next two weeks, I'll maintain my wish that the NBA could somehow contract him to handle the PA responsibilities at every big game.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
<snip>

Andy Jick would always refer to every scorer by name and each who got credit for an assist was mentioned. 

Somewhat off-topic, but I've never understood why announcers will shout the scorer and mumble the assist, even on a great pass or play by the home team - "PAUL PIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRCEEEEE! ...from Kevin Garnett."

Especially in a season that's supposed to be all about the team concept, you'd think they'd want to promote a great play in its entirety instead of just the guy who put it in

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
<snip>

Andy Jick would always refer to every scorer by name and each who got credit for an assist was mentioned. 

Somewhat off-topic, but I've never understood why announcers will shout the scorer and mumble the assist, even on a great pass or play by the home team - "PAUL PIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRCEEEEE! ...from Kevin Garnett."

Especially in a season that's supposed to be all about the team concept, you'd think they'd want to promote a great play in its entirety instead of just the guy who put it in

Fairweather,

Don't remember (if you've mentioned it on any past threads) where you're from, but you might want to try a trip to the Izod Center sometime.  It's a pretty forgettable basketball experience for the most part, but their PA guy (whose name currently escapes me) has long specialized in screaming "OFF THE FEED from..." after any assisted basket.

Experience in general, nothing to write home about.
Emphasis on swishing and dishing? Definitely.  Must be what happens when Jason Kidd is your point guard for most of a decade.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.