Author Topic: ECF Game 1 Pistons at Celtics 5/20 8:30 PM ESPN  (Read 68145 times)

Re: ECF Game 1 Pistons at Celtics 5/20 8:30 PM ESPN
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »

Offline Aussie Celtic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Here is my usual pre game shout out to wish the guys all the best and may the leprechauns be with us, as they were in Game 7 against the Cavs.

Apart from Ray's comments, I am feeling good about everyone and everything else.  Paul has to be feeling at the top of his game.  Here's hoping the touch stays with him for the duration of the Championship run.

We are up against a very tough opponent who has been here many times before, but there must some shadows in their minds as well after last year.

The nerves are killing me and I won't be able to post anything until after the game.

Ray is the x-factor, his comments seem to me to be the first crack in "Ubuntu" that I have heard from GAP.

Here's hoping it was a storm in a tea cup and his mind is all about winning and not just his shots.

Good luck guys.

Go the Green !!!!

I'm still cheering down under.

Cheers

Aussie

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think that the emotion from the last series is going to help us and not hurt us. We should be fired up and not tired from this, and that should = a team that is going to come out with intensity that won't be matched by detroit. And I also believe that detroit will have an over confidence issue. The pistons may be more rested, but that is not always a good thing. Last game was just what we needed as in PP getting a good game under his belt and restoring confidence in the team. The key to this series is going to be ray. As long as KG and PP do there thing and Ray contributes at least 15, we won't have a problem with detroit.

Good points, AG (TP) ... I truly feel that it's game two that we need to be more concerned with, but not until the time comes, obviously. If there's going to be a "let-down", that's where I'd expect it to come. I actually think we may do well in Detroit, and that these guys are now far more focused on winning an away game, and may take home court for granted.

I have believed for some time that the Piston's will leave Boston with at least one win.  If the C's win 1 & 2 I'll be equally surprised and ecstatic.  That would put the pressure on Detroit for their 2 home games as they could not afford to lose either.   But it's my expectation that we'll lose at least one of the next 2, and if I had my choice I'd rather lose game 2.  Losing game 1 will put an enormous monkey on our backs and really put us in a must-win game in game 2 -- emotionally, that's not where I hope we are.  If there is a letdown in game 2 as you describe, a loss there can be overome.  Losing game one to me would provide such a psychological lift to Detroit that I think it would be insurmountable.  Every night is huge in this round, but I put tonight's game as a real 'statement' game for both sides -- I really hope AG is correct and that the intensity level is there throughout for the C's.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Yeah, you think Paul was glad to see LeBron go; I'm sure Perk is just as glad to be moving on to Rasheed.

Excuse my lack of observation of the Boston-Detroit games in the regular season as I don't recall who guarded Rasheed, but I would think the more natural match-ups would be Perk on Antonio and KG on Rasheed.  I'd figure Rasheed is a bit too quick for Perk and his game would keep Perk further from the hoop, whereas I think Perk could manage McDyess rather well inside. 

Can anyone remind what we did with the big guys in the 3 games v. Detroit and offer your assessment of the way the match-ups unfolded.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
You may be right, and that may be the better for Perk.  My only nded intepoint was that Perk will be back to dealing with a regular, NBA-scale opponent, rather than a guy who's just too big for him.  Perk doesn't need to score a lot anyway, but it will be good to see him likely grabbing some more boards and holding his ground more under the basket.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i truly wanna see perk act a fool..and no reason why powe pimpin cant get his...everyone one on this team throughout this round should have they time too shine...

*sips 40oz ole e*

im gettin ready..

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
You may be right, and that may be the better for Perk.  My only nded intepoint was that Perk will be back to dealing with a regular, NBA-scale opponent, rather than a guy who's just too big for him.  Perk doesn't need to score a lot anyway, but it will be good to see him likely grabbing some more boards and holding his ground more under the basket.

There are still unknown elements in terms of how this series will play out and its good to hope for match-up advantages.  I agree that Perk should handle McD better than Z, but still this match-up is probably not one that favors the C's.  But who knows -- who would have thought that the Wally-Ray match-up would favor the Cavs.

The bench match-ups are as intriguing as the starter match-ups.  Maxiel and Stuckey could be factors and I am hoping one of Powe, BBD, Sam, Eddie, TA or Posey can be major factors as I really beleive the starter match-ups give an edge to Detroit.  If the C's can catch a hot player off the bench in each game that may make a big difference in this series.  TA may be a factor as someone, along with Ray, has to do Rip duty.  

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A month ago I'm not sure I'd have given Detroit the edge for starters, but now I think you're right. 

Though Rondo's had mixed success with Billups, both he and Perk have a history of getting up for and outperforming superior matchups--so we'll have to hope for a little of that here.  And I really think that last game was a career-breakout playoff game for Pierce. He's been his own worst enemy at times like this in the past, but I think he's ready for a post-season leadership role finally, within the context of the team.  KG will probably continue to be our best performer, but I think Pierce understands better now where he can and should assert himself.  We'll see.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
i truly wanna see perk act a fool..and no reason why powe pimpin cant get his...everyone one on this team throughout this round should have they time too shine...

*sips 40oz ole e*

im gettin ready..

Except for the choice of lubricant, I'm in complete agreement.  Let's see our stars and role players find the ways they can be effective and exploit them.  And I'll sips my Bridgeport ESB.  Only wish it came in a 40oz!

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
On the pregrame, Tommy thought adreneline would carry them tonighht; Wed. might be the drop off. Let's go!
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
-Gooo Celtics-

Let the drama begin!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
And I really think that last game was a career-breakout playoff game for Pierce. He's been his own worst enemy at times like this in the past, but I think he's ready for a post-season leadership role finally, within the context of the team.  KG will probably continue to be our best performer, but I think Pierce understands better now where he can and should assert himself.  We'll see.

Man, I get shivers thinking "What if Pierce brings that every night?"  The 41 points were one thing, but the effort and the awareness were truly mindboggling.  I hope that the Pistons have been lying awake thinking the same thing I'm thinking . . .

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Let's go boys, come out and make a statement...

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
make em shoot outside all nite long......
come on kevin..!

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Great heady defensive play by Allen!

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell