Author Topic: BronBron to Tayshaun...More of the Same?  (Read 5618 times)

BronBron to Tayshaun...More of the Same?
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Epic performance, instant classic for number 34...

Hate to be THAT guy, but is this the type of performance we need to expect out of Paul from here on out? Because if so, we might be in for a rude awakening…

After listening to a lot of post game reaction/comments, it seems like Paul is at least a bit relieved that he will no longer have to put up with the defensive intensity and physicality that LeBron was bringing every night (expect for that jump ball).  After talking to a few buddies, I think it’s safe to say that this sentiment is shared by most Celtic fans.

However, let’s not be so quick to overlook Paul’s next matchup with Tayshaun Prince.

At roughly 6 feet 8 inches and 210 pounds (soaking wet?), Tayshaun Prince is virtually the antithesis of LeBron James, physically speaking.  James stifled Paul with brute strength and speed – whereas Prince will have to rely on length and height to battle Pierce.

Yet despite this 180 degree turn in matchups for Pierce, is Paul still in for another loooong series? The numbers suggest he might be…

In the 3-game, regular season series versus Tayshaun and the Pistons, Paul averaged roughly 15 points on 37% fg shooting, 29% from distance.

Since Tayshaun doesn’t have as many offensive responsibilities as LeBron, perhaps an explanation is he is able to expend nearly all of his energy defensively on Pierce…

So how do you feel? Was that 41 point effort Paul’s coming out party? or should we expect more modest performances of around 20 a game? How do you feel about Tayshaun Prince as a defender compared to BronBron?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: BronBron to Tayshaun...More of the Same?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Tayshaun may have held PP to 15 ppg, but PP held Tayshaun to 5 ppg, I believe. Tayshuan wasn't able to do ANYTHING against Paul.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Prince gave Pierce some problems, but it will still be easier for him then Lebron.

Plus, the key for Boston all year against Detroit is in the paint.  Boston is bigger, stronger and controlled the inside all year against Detroit. 

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Pierce roasted Tayshaun the previous three years. Scoring 22+ points, 7+ boards and shooting 50+% from the floor (actually 46% in 04-05).

Tayshaun is a fine defender who'll cause Pierce some problems but he can't limit Paul the way James did. LeBron's defense below the three point line on Paul Pierce was simply immense, he stopped Pierce on his usual mid post action. James was quicker, stronger, taller, bigger (bulk), longer, and better. Tayshaun is slower, weaker, taller, smaller (bulk), longer and worse. Prince has some advantages his way but Pierce has more than enough areas to attack him at. Prince will be vulnerable to Pierce's strength, his ability to muscle his way into the paint of the mid post. His reach will make the shot difficult though.

As Bankshot pointed out, Pierce has defended Tayshaun very well, I'd say better than Tay has defended Paul.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Paul seems to play better versus Prince than he has against James. I think he'll be fine.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
A big part of Pauls game is bullying defenders in with his shoulders. You can imagine why he had trouble against Lebron. Prince is a great defender, but Paul has had his number for the last hand full of games. The real matchup to talk about is Rondo against Billups.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Prince was a non-factor against us during the regular season.

We need to get inside Rasheed's head, which is pretty easy to do. He will self-destruct their team if that happens.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
How healthy is Billups really?

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How healthy is Billups really?

Game 1, run Rondo everywhere.  Of screens.   Back and forth. 

Test that leg out. 

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
At key moments during those games, Pierce schooled Prince. The one in Detroit with all the assists in the fourth was what I hope we will see this series.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Mentally Pierce will carry over his defensive intensity but physically he may be fatagiued.  Someone else may have to step up hardcore like Pierce, I think KG who was really dissappointed with himself in game 7 will be that man.  But I wish it would be Ray.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
At key moments during those games, Pierce schooled Prince. The one in Detroit with all the assists in the fourth was what I hope we will see this series.

Don't get me wrong, i'm with most of you in that it'll be a nice change to see ANYONE else out there on Pierce besides LeBron - but Pierce really only had one game that could even be considered decent in the three that were played in the reg season against Detroit.

Besides that one game, he was 10 for 32 from the field and 1 for 10 from 3.  Pretty ugly numbers to say the least.  Now maybe you can chalk that up to a couple of off nights and/or good team defense by Detroit, but certainly Tayshaun had SOMETHING to do with those performances.

Steve - nice thoughts on the fatigue factor..all that energy expended/cameramen knee's into the hip won't help against a rested Prince either.

Despite that, if Billups is healthy, that Pierce/Prince matchup might be our best bet considering the way Ray has played and the fact that 'Sheed always elevates his game when playing KG.  

Hopefully we'll continue to see those high pick-n-rolls between Pierce and KG, 34 needs to touch the ball every play.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Not more of the same to me.

Pierce will be able to exploit Prince offensively.  Perk PJ Powe and Baby will keep either McDyess or Maxiell busy on the block.

Ray Allen will not be double teamed like he was by Cleveland.  I really believe this will be a much different series.

Celtics in 5.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't think it will be the same. Paul will not have to expend so much energy on defending Tayshaun so he will have much more in reserve on offense.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Pierce will step up. KG will have some big games. Rondo I think will step up against Billups.