Author Topic: Camby and melo to the Nets? (radio/espn rumor)  (Read 17574 times)

Re: Camby and melo to the Nets? (radio/espn rumor)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Danny, get on the phone.

Offer them Perkins, Tony Allen and some filler for Canby.

Definitely not. 

No 4th max contract.

No replacing Perkins, a good on the man defender down low and a good compliment to KG, with Camby, a weakside shot blocker who can be beaten by his man in the low post. 

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the Denver Gm trades Melo he should be fired immediately. How old is this guy? There is no way he has hit his ceiling yet. I understand moving Camby because he makes big money and he is much older. If you're gm and you are told you need to reduce salary don't you move your high paid players that are older first. Of their players that make a lot of money they should move K-Mart first then Camby then AI then Melo.I'm sure K-Mart or Camby could get them a late lottery pick like Golden State's. I don't want to see Melo in the east at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd definitely like to see Camby in Green next year. Maybe he'll make noise hoping to be waived if this deal goes down.

I think the Nuggets would be best served to keep Melo and move Iverson. It's a bit too late to start to build around Iverson, IMO.

Melo's not even near his prime yet so why trade him when he'll only get better and Iverson only worse.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Does Melo remind anybody else of Glen Robinson?

Re: Camby and melo to the Nets? (radio rumor)
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Do you think Keith van Horn will still be collecting paychecks when he's 60? The perpetually expiring contract?  Greatest job ever.

Yeah, no kidding.  How do I get that gig?

I don't really like that proposed deal at all.  I think they'd be better off moving Camby and keeping Carmelo.  Yes, he's flawed, but he's also a superstar, who hasn't even hit his prime yet.

also roy, with you being the guy i go to for contract questions, wouldn't this pretty much put up the white flag on lebron? thats a ton of money over the cap coming in, does it all come off by 2010?

just seems like such an odd move for NJ, they've been dumping contracts and cap at a pretty standered rate, i assumed it was to make a run at james, wouldn't this pretty much take them out of the running?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Does Melo remind anybody else of Glen Robinson?

In the "all-offense" sense maybe, but much more athletic.  I always loved the Big Dog, despite his weaknesses.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
also roy, with you being the guy i go to for contract questions, wouldn't this pretty much put up the white flag on lebron? thats a ton of money over the cap coming in, does it all come off by 2010?

just seems like such an odd move for NJ, they've been dumping contracts and cap at a pretty standered rate, i assumed it was to make a run at james, wouldn't this pretty much take them out of the running?

Look at it the other way: LeBron aint going to Jersey if there's not another superstar already there. He might go to the Knicks if their roster sucks, but he's not signing with the Nets if their roster sucks. Melo could be the perfect lure (even if they do play the same position more or less).

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 01:10:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Do you think Keith van Horn will still be collecting paychecks when he's 60? The perpetually expiring contract?  Greatest job ever.

Yeah, no kidding.  How do I get that gig?

I don't really like that proposed deal at all.  I think they'd be better off moving Camby and keeping Carmelo.  Yes, he's flawed, but he's also a superstar, who hasn't even hit his prime yet.

It wouldn't effect the Nets' long term cap too much; Carmello and Jefferson expire the same year, and Camby would be gone in the same off-season as Lebron is a free agent.  That part of it works.

In terms of moves, I expect the Nets to try to move Vince this off-season.  Interestingly, Cleveland would be a pretty good fit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
i believe camby is on for about 9m not mac and since our window is two years mac after this year, perk and tony and filler for camby makes sense

big dog was a perfect nickname for robinson!!

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
change my previous post to max not mac.....misplaced finger

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Definitely not. 

No 4th max contract.

Marcus Camby is on a descending scale contract.  He'll make 8 million next year and 7.5 the year after that.  That's as close to a bargain as you can get if he continues to play ~70 games a year which he has done the past five.  He also probably just put together his best statistical season, too.  Only 9 points, but 13 rebounds and 3.6 blocks a game.  Not bad for a 34 year old who gets cheaper as he goes.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I WANT CAMBY!!

Camby is basically a KG clone. They are virtually the same player. Imagine those 2 guarding the paint and playing pick and roll defense?

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 01:48:31 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Melo just strikes me as a guy who'll score a ton but never win. Doesn't rebound particularly well, play D well, pass much. In other words Glen Robinson.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Melo just strikes me as a guy who'll score a ton but never win. Doesn't rebound particularly well, play D well, pass much. In other words Glen Robinson.

What do you mean Big Dog wasn't a winner?  He picked up a ring in San Antonio!

(about as much of a factor in that series as The Chief was when he picked up his 4th ring with the Bulls)
Yup

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
change my previous post to max not mac.....misplaced finger

Twice?

Imagine that! ::)
Yup