Author Topic: Yesterday Pierce was Bird-like.  (Read 9157 times)

Re: Yesterday Pierce was Bird-like.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I will say this is Bird like, taking over two deciding games in this playoffs. 

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 12:43:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
His finishing around the basket better, playing more patiently, using basic moves, head fakes, jumpstop... but he's using his midrange game more, which is so good, and he has been shooting the ball as good as anyone out there.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Pierce was the totally poised tonight.  Even on the crappy foul against him.  Awesome game
Yup

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 12:44:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Great point wd. bird was definitely a master of sticking the knife in and closing it out. And for two straight series Pierce's biggest game has come on the series deciding and ending game.

Very Bird-like indeed.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 01:05:57 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think it's important to note that the last two series' have ended on Pierce's best game, but they could have ended earlier.  The Celtics played two elimination games against the Hawks, two against the Cavs and one against the Pistons.  So Pierce has had two great games in five elimination games.

I think it makes the point that he's incredibly integral to the team's success.  When he's on in an elimination game, they win.  So while it's important to note that the individual games in a vacuum have been great, looking at the larger body of work is what made Larry Bird the player he was.  Pierce has had some great games in some important games, but Larry Bird had a career of great games in a career of important games.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think it's important to note that the last two series' have ended on Pierce's best game, but they could have ended earlier.  The Celtics played two elimination games against the Hawks, two against the Cavs and one against the Pistons.  So Pierce has had two great games in five elimination games.

I think it makes the point that he's incredibly integral to the team's success.  When he's on in an elimination game, they win.

Pierce is the guy ... he's the one all his teammates look to when times are tough. It's been that way all season long.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I think it makes the point that he's incredibly integral to the team's success.  When he's on in an elimination game, they win.

Pierce is the guy ... he's the one all his teammates look to when times are tough. It's been that way all season long.

Agreed, and I am so happy about the Finals appearance, but my one fear is that the media will hype Celtics=Pierce and Lakers=Bryant.  I think Paul Pierce needs to go out of his way in the next week to keep reminding people that the Celtics are a *team* not a one man show.  Ubuntu.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After trophy presentation:

Pierce: Booyah!

Team: Celtics!!!

Pierce and Team: Ubuntu!!!!

Pierce: We outta here!!

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Agreed, and I am so happy about the Finals appearance, but my one fear is that the media will hype Celtics=Pierce and Lakers=Bryant.  I think Paul Pierce needs to go out of his way in the next week to keep reminding people that the Celtics are a *team* not a one man show.  Ubuntu.
Actually I'm okay with that ... with Paul getting sucked in to a mano-o-mano situation. Oddly enough.

I didn't like it against a few other teams, like Cleveland, because they defended him really well and we ended up with turnovers and a disjointed offense. But against LA? The Lakers have nobody that can stop him. I want Paul to be a bit more self important in this series, I think it'll help the team. I'd be happy with that.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't think any player can match "Bird" in the views of the late 80's fan. I think Bird was better and I don't mean to diminish Bird. But part of what made Bird great was how he burst on the scene and saved basketball. How he at the time didn't have alot of players with a well rounded game like his - outside of Magic.

But PP was very Bird like - and played against much better defense then he ever faced. That's why Tommy correctly calls him the best offensive Celtic player ever. I can't stress the defense bit enough. They played alot less D in the 80s.  It's not just intesity that hurt D back then it was the rules. I DO encourage people to watch tape. The Bird pedestal is too high right now.

I just love how mentally PP is approaching this right now. People STILL think in the wrong mindset. It's not about how many points you score in a quarter but the decisions you make. PP is making EXCELLENT basketball plays down the stretch. He isn't trying to be a hero - just making smart plays scoring where he can and passing to open guys..

Pete

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 08:57:10 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
what he does for this team to win, nobody else does
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 09:02:47 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
to an extent pierce was bird-like, as he was in game 7 against cleveland.

let's hope he does what bird did and lead this team to the promised land.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:19:23 AM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Pierce played well, but he wasn't Bird-like.  For starters, Bird would never have missed that free throw at the end.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I'll take Pierce like.  Larry had his day(s)today belongs Paul.  Congrats to Paul for keeping your cool on the insane offensive foul call.  I'm just happy for him and Doc and that hug between the 2 said it all.  They've taken their shots, deservedly so in some instances but, they persevered and now the C's are going to Finals. 

I keep saying their going to Finals but, I'm still having a hard time believing it.  Just think where they were this time last year.  I bet you could have made a hefty amount of change betting the C's would make the finals on 5/31/07. 

The C's are going to the finals.........
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I TOTALLY agree.
I felt he couldn't miss last night.