Author Topic: Horrible Scheduling for the Playoffs: Where's the Rest for the #1 Seed?  (Read 8183 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know it doesn't help that the Celtics have been on two game 7s this playoffs, but they haven't had a two day rest since the 3rd game against Atlanta.  This is really completely unacceptable, no other team in these playoffs is getting this treatment and the game 7s shouldn't factor in because no team had they gone to game 7s would've had to play all these games with this little rest.

So what's the deal with this treatment of the Celtics?  Let me use an example... the Spurs played on Friday, why the heck weren't they playing on Sunday? Orlando vs Detroit had two days rest between games 4 and 5. Utah vs Lakers, they got two days rest between games 1 and 2 AND between games 4 and 5. What's this crap? Where's the rest for the Celtics?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:47:28 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
we all know that stern has it in for the celtics.  he fixed the lottery.  he influences his refs.  i'm sure he can influence the schedule.  The celtics have an uphill battle if they are going to win this thing because the "stern factor" may be enough to tip it in the other direction.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
we all know that stern has it in for the celtics.  he fixed the lottery.  he influences his refs.  i'm sure he can influence the schedule.  The celtics have an uphill battle if they are going to win this thing because the "stern factor" may be enough to tip it in the other direction.

Why would Stern want to screw the Celtics again?  A Finals with the Celtics is guaranteed to make a ton more money than any other Eastern Conference team, other than probably the Knicks.  Stern cares, first and foremost, about revenue.  The conspiracy theories just don't make sense to me.

I'm not sure why we play every other night, but I'm sure it has something to do with both of our series going seven games.  I'm sure with the television obligations, series / rounds have to end by a certain date.  I know that if the Celtics had taken care of business in Game 6, Game 1 would have been yesterday, and presumably the round would have ended on the same day, meaning the team would have had two additional off-days.  They lost, and now they have to play every other game again.

Regarding the San Antonio / New Orleans series, they didn't play Saturday so as not to compete with the WNBA opener, and they didn't play yesterday because of the Celtics game.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I know it doesn't help that the Celtics have been on two game 7s this playoffs, but they haven't had a two day rest since the 3rd game against Atlanta.  This is really completely unacceptable, no other team in these playoffs is getting this treatment and the game 7s shouldn't factor in because no team had they gone to game 7s would've had to play all these games with this little rest.

So what's the deal with this treatment of the Celtics?  Let me use an example... the Spurs played on Friday, why the heck weren't they playing on Sunday? Orlando vs Detroit had two days rest between games 4 and 5. Utah vs Lakers, they got two days rest between games 1 and 2 AND between games 4 and 5. What's this crap? Where's the rest for the Celtics?

If the Celtics had not gone to 7 games in both series they would have had a few days of rest.  That being said this is the price you pay for not finishing your business early.  The does owe the Celtics any favors about all these thing are agreed to before the play-offs even being

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
How would our second round schedule looked had we won game 6 against Atlanta on that Friday? Our first game against the Cavs would've been on that Sunday (this was game 7 against Atlanta)... would the rest of the games also play just about the same schedule? Like game two being on Tuesday (was game 1) for example and game 3 on Thursday (was game 2)?

And again, I point to the Lakers vs Utah series... they had TWO instances with two days rest, and we can't sneak one for the Celtics?

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
you want rest?  then win on the road...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
you want rest?  then win on the road...

Yet, that's not what this is about.  The way I see it, even if all the teams had gone to game 7s for the first two series, the Celtics would've been the only team to play this much with little rest.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
And again, I point to the Lakers vs Utah series... they had TWO instances with two days rest, and we can't sneak one for the Celtics?

And yet, even with that rest, had that series gone seven games, it would have finished before the Celtics series.

The NBA has to make sure each round is over by a date certain, I'm assuming.  This year that date was presumably today.  Now, it would have made more sense to schedule a potential Game 7 of our series for tonight, and a potential Game 7 of San Antonio / New Orleans for Sunday (thus giving each team a couple of off days) but I'm assuming they didn't do that because Sunday afternoon is prime time for basketball scheduling, and the Celtics vs. Lebron brings better ratings.

The only reason our games are compressed is because we're losing, and extending series longer than they should be.  Take care of that against Detroit, and we'll have some rest prior to the Finals.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

And yet, even with that rest, had that series gone seven games, it would have finished before the Celtics series.

The NBA has to make sure each round is over by a date certain, I'm assuming.  This year that date was presumably today.  Now, it would have made more sense to schedule a potential Game 7 of our series for tonight, and a potential Game 7 of San Antonio / New Orleans for Sunday (thus giving each team a couple of off days) but I'm assuming they didn't do that because Sunday afternoon is prime time for basketball scheduling, and the Celtics vs. Lebron brings better ratings.

The only reason our games are compressed is because we're losing, and extending series longer than they should be.  Take care of that against Detroit, and we'll have some rest prior to the Finals.

It's not about losing that's the main point.  It's a combination of things, that all starts with bad planning.  Not only were the Celtics the last team to start the playoffs, they also gave them unneccesary days off early in the Atlanta series.

The only two days rest the Celtics have had was between the first games against Atlanta, were rest is less importnat.  Where's the logic in that, especially when Boston was the last team to start the playoffs?

Had they given the Celtics one days rest early in the series, then one two days rest late in the series, there would've been an opportunity to have two days rest in the second round. Bad planning through and through.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

It's not about losing that's the main point.  It's a combination of things, that all starts with bad planning.  Not only were the Celtics the last team to start the playoffs, they also gave them unneccesary days off early in the Atlanta series.

The only two days rest the Celtics have had was between the first games against Atlanta, were rest is less importnat.  Where's the logic in that, especially when Boston was the last team to start the playoffs?

Had they given the Celtics one days rest early in the series, then one two days rest late in the series, there would've been an opportunity to have two days rest in the second round. Bad planning through and through.

I'm sure it's for television exposure.  Arrange the schedule so you can get as many of your prime matchups televised and not competing with each other as possible.

I don't fault the NBA too much.  I'm sure they never imagined that the Celtics would choke on the road against Atlanta, extending that series to seven games.  I'm sure they assumed, like so many of us, that that series would be over in four or five games.

This is a self-created problem.

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
we all know that stern has it in for the celtics.  he fixed the lottery.  he influences his refs.

Yeah, I'm really upset with the way he fixed the playoffs so the Celtics had to lose both round 1 and round 2. He gave the series to LeBron James to punish the Celtics.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Well, we see we're not goin anywhere... In my opinion, it's not a self-created problem if the situation is not the same for every team. Again, had all the teams gone to game 7s, my understanding from what I'm seeing around is that the Celtics would've been the only team that would've had to play these many games with little rest. With that being the case, the problem is by an large due to poor planning. Regardless of how the Celtics are playing, the NBA should've planned before hand to make sure that there's an opportunity for rest because all other teams have had the opportunity.

No two days rest since the 3rd game against Atlanta, you know how long that has been? It's ridiculous.

Hard to find the "hypothetical schedules"  had all the teams gone to game 7s... but everything is pointing towards the Celtics having an unusual schedule that doesn't allow them to have rest. Again, I point towards the situation had the Celtics won game 6 against Atlanta.  They would've started game one against the Cavs that Sunday and pressumably played the whole second round on one day rest anyways.

So wether the celtics had won on 6 games or 7 games against Atlanta seems to be of little issue here, since they wouldn't, from what I see, had any more rest in the second round anyways.

We shouldn't have to EARN the right to rest... it should be given to us for simply being the best team during the season... we earned that much.

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Actually Roy the reason why the Celtics game was yesterday had to do with ESPN/ABC having the ECF only on those two networks.  TNT has the WFC.  If the Celtics won on Friday the ECF would have started on Sunday and the Spur and Hornets still would have played tonight.  It all had to do with the who had what rights to each game.  This had nothing to do with the Celtics vs. Lebron. This was already set in stone at the start of the play-offs.  

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Are we already Setting up excuses in case we lose to Detroit?
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Again, I point towards the situation had the Celtics won game 6 against Atlanta.  They would've started game one against the Cavs that Sunday and pressumably played the whole second round on one day rest anyways.

Why do you assume that?  We would have started the series against Cleveland earlier, but we would have had to end it by the same day, I'm presuming.  That would have given us two extra days of rest to be put in between the games somewhere.