Author Topic: Is Ray Allen on a short leash for the ECF?  (Read 9076 times)

Re: Is Ray Allen on a short leash for the ECF?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nope

Every player is on a short leesh in a Game Seven.

Doc knows Ray's quality and he'll continue to play Ray big minutes throughout the rest of the playoffs .... as he should do.

I also think Ray sitting down had a lot to do with Paul Pierce and the rest of the team, Doc didn't seem to want Paul defending LeBron, using up all his energy, since he was the only one consistently scoring.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Wow, I thought Doc was insane for continuing to give Ray almost 40 minutes a game during this "slump", but I see that lots of Celticbloggers still think he's going to "come out of it" if the team goes out of their way to get him shots.
Sorry folks, but he couldn't possibly have been more open than he was on some of his shots yesterday and they didn't go in. There is something wrong with Ray, either mentally or more likely physically. This has been going on for a long time- finally yesterday even Doc, who obviously has great faith in Ray, used Eddie House and Rondo together in the 4th quarter, which I give Doc credit for.
So, yes, I'm hoping the leash is very short. Posey, Pierce, House, and yes, even TA can take minutes at two guard if Ray isn't helping.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yea, I hope it's short also. If he's struggling against Cleveland, the Detroit defense is only gonna get worst. It's one thing not to score, but he's not helping much in other aspects either. 1 basket, No rebounds, 1 assist yesterday in 30 mins. Scal could put up better numbers then that. His D was better on Wally yesterday, but he couldn't keep up with Wally on screens earlier in the series. I think Doc's decision to play him 40 mpg for most of the year is catching up with him at his advanced age. 

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Nope

Doc knows Ray's quality and he'll continue to play Ray big minutes throughout the rest of the playoffs .... as he should do.

I also think Ray sitting down had a lot to do with Paul Pierce and the rest of the team, Doc didn't seem to want Paul defending LeBron, using up all his energy, since he was the only one consistently scoring.

agree on all points. TP. putting Posey on LeBron early in the 4ht is an under-recognized move by Doc IMO. Pierce was really able to focus on his O due to that...

Ray will have a tough defensive matchup chasing around Rip, but he should have an easier time getting his shot off too. I think we will see a resurgence of Ray in this series.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Nope

agree on all points. TP. putting Posey on LeBron early in the 4ht is an under-recognized move by Doc IMO. Pierce was really able to focus on his O due to that...

Ray will have a tough defensive matchup chasing around Rip, but he should have an easier time getting his shot off too. I think we will see a resurgence of Ray in this series.

He's gonna have an easier time getting his shot off against Rip rather then Wally? Wally is one of the slowest 2 guards and worst defenders in the league. Rip played him very physical in the regular season, and held Ray to 12 ppg, while he averaged 24 ppg against Cleveland in the regular season.

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Nope

He's gonna have an easier time getting his shot off against Rip rather then Wally? Wally is one of the slowest 2 guards and worst defenders in the league. Rip played him very physical in the regular season, and held Ray to 12 ppg, while he averaged 24 ppg against Cleveland in the regular season.

well it depends on whether DET doubles him like CLE did so often....but also Wally may be slow, but he had a size advantage.....

mostly it depends on whether DET doubles...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:37:20 AM by winsomme »

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 09:33:01 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

I've been going back and forth on this. I like that Pierce had the offensive energy for sure, but I also think that LeBron scored a lot easier with Posey on him. Posey didn't do as well with keeping LeBron in front of him as he did early in the series.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Tired of hearing excuses . He is payed 15 million per year and you just don't score 2 points or as a matter of fact should score less than 15 per game.

Rip hamilton gets double teamed but the guy still finds a way to score. You remember reggie miller?? still found a way to score hounded by double teams.

no excuses for ray allen.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
looks emotionally unable to handle this kind of pressure, he looks scared. Who can trust a teammate like that to come through for you?

You see eddie house?? the guy is so pumped up , it scares the other team. We really need this guy

Ray allen until he can prove something more should only play 20 mins . Big let down.

You see, it's remarks like these that get me really annoyed.

Ray had an off series, the Cavs were keying on him all series.  He struggled, all players struggle.  I think he'll come out big this series.

And your remarks about him not being ready for the playoffs are ludacris.  You clearly don't know what you're talking about if that's what you think about Ray.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

You see, it's remarks like these that get me really annoyed.

Ray had an off series, the Cavs were keying on him all series.  He struggled, all players struggle.  I think he'll come out big this series.

And your remarks about him not being ready for the playoffs are ludacris.  You clearly don't know what you're talking about if that's what you think about Ray.

Agreed. Somewhat. The Cavs harassed Ray Ray all series. The one time he got the ball without being double-teamed yesterday he made a really nice move to the hoop for a basket. He also made some clutch plays throughout the seris. On the other hand, a couple of times Pierce made a nice pass to him and he simply wasn't ready to shoot. And of course he bricked a lot of shot.

I think priority number one in the first quarter tomorrow is to get Ray some good looks. We need him to get going.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Tommy Point, Greg.

Guy's a great shooter. I suspect his ankles are bothering him, but he's been out there playing solid defense.

Might help to set a pick or two to shake him loose for an open look.

I agree. Allen will be better against the aging Pistons.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Reduce Ray Allens Minutes?
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »

Offline celticsguy

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
If Ray Allen does not start producing maybe it's time to give him some rest as continuing to play him has not helped his situation. We cannot afford at this juncture to worry about hurting his feelings. Eddie house is faster. Palys better D and at this point is shooting better. We are trying to make the finals- as pros they either produce or take a seat!!!

Minutes for Ray...
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I've posted about this before and I still strongly, strongly believe it now...Ray Allen is a jump shooter. He is not like Pierce & Garnett who have several ways to score. Pierce actually has multiple ways he can score.

As primarily a "jump Shooter" Ray Allen absolutely has to have his legs under him. I think a major part of his troubles right now are his legs.

Doc has played him way too much all season and now in the playoffs he's the one who seems most likely to go over 40 minutes as well.

This is equally frustrating to me because with Posey & TAllen we should have absoltuly zero problem in getting Ray's minutes to about 30 to 35 a game...MAXIMUM....MAXIMUM.

In fact, with the way he's been playing it would b beneficial.

I just think he's playing too many minutes. It happened during the regular season as well. And there was a direct correlation between when he was rested and played well and when he was being driven into the ground minutes wise.

I don't get it. And I don't buy the whole the players want the minutes or he's a superstar and it's hard for the coach to sit him...THAT, to me, is one of the difintions of the coach's job

Gt Ray rest.

Re: Minutes for Ray...
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
No question Ray Allen is a jump shooter and plays his best coming off screens. I don't buy "played too many minutes a game" theory.  Allen keeps him self in peak condition. I really just believe it's in his head. He's lost this confidences and he seems like he's trying to get open by dribbling around guys.  Like I said his strength is him coming off a screen and popping his shot.

Pretty disturbing yesterday to see him get 2 wide open shots and not hit either one of them. No excuses for missing those ones. We really have looked better with House playing, as he plays defense just as well as Allen and can stick the open shot. I'd like to think Allen can snap out of it, but the Celts can't get by the Pistons with Allen playing big minutes and not contributing. Good call by Doc on limiting his minutes in the 4th quarter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 03:54:52 PM by acieEarl »

Re: Minutes for Ray...
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Ray usually plays well against Hamilton. It's a Uconn thing. He'll be fine this series no matter the minutes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird