Author Topic: Is Ray Allen on a short leash for the ECF?  (Read 9013 times)

Is Ray Allen on a short leash for the ECF?
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
We saw a bit of a preview maybe of Doc's version of a short leash on Ray Allen. At like the 8 or 9 minute mark I think of the 4th, Ray couldn't hit a beyond wide open 3 from the top of the arc and so Doc took him out and basically sat him the entire 4th quarter except for that final minute.

With Eddie House showing his hussle, showing that he's starting to get on track with his shooting (unlike Ray Allen), and his ability to push the ball up the court, plus a flashy pass every now then...if Ray struggles, do we see his minutes decline?  by how much?  and you have to assume that House will be taking them right?

Re: Is Ray Allen on a short leash for the ECF?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If Ray doesn't pick it up, his minutes should be taken by Pierce and Eddie getting minutes at off-guard. 

I think more importantly, though, we need to run more plays for Ray going towards the basket and coming off screens.  We need to get him some easy hoops to get him going.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ray will come around.  He is too good a shooter not to.  Credit Cleveland for doubling him often and not letting him get started in any of these games.  I don't think Detroit will do the same, I expect straight man D from them.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »

Offline kenrti

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
If Rayray's shooting is off, having PP play the SG spot with Posey in the SF slot frees PP to have more energy on offense, and having Hamilton on him instead of Prince (if Detroit doesn't switch assignments on a per position basis) would make it much easier for him to have more 40+ pt nights....

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:22:05 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
looks emotionally unable to handle this kind of pressure, he looks scared. Who can trust a teammate like that to come through for you?

You see eddie house?? the guy is so pumped up , it scares the other team. We really need this guy

Ray allen until he can prove something more should only play 20 mins . Big let down.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
playin 20min wont help ray..maybe he needs to talk to dr phil i dont...he started off so good..big shots winning game..does he want to be in boston..i look at him while he chewing that gum and wonder what is he thinkin..

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm also expecting Ray to bust out of this slump.  I don't think we're giving enough credit to Cleveland.  They had a great defensive strategy on Ray, showing hard when he ran off screens and doubling him when he was dribbling.  Ultimately Pierce burned them on this strategy, LeBron was able to hold him in check for 6 games, but not the seventh.  I know Ray should've hit at least one of those two open third quarter looks but his rhythm had been taken away from him at that point. 

One thing I noticed, especially when shooting off the dribble, Ray seems to be releasing the shot on the way down instead of at the apex of the jump.  I think this might be a technical reason for his slump, as opposed to some of the mental reasoning given here.  Ray is a hard worker and a consumate professional, I was wicked mad and negative today when he missed those two 3's, however now that we've won and I'm thinking rationally, I have faith that we will see Sugar Ray before this playoff tournament is over.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:47 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if ray continues to shoot poorly, but play good defense, his leash wont be too short, as i think doc will let him try to "shoot out of it".  however, if his shots arent falling and he plays poor defense as he has throughout the majority of the playoffs, i think doc will do what he did today in game 7.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
We must remember that Ray helped to win Game Five with his tap out rebound to ice that one and he hit two clutch FT's tonight to help us win the series. 

We could have lost Game Five without him out-hustling a taller Wally for that rebound.

That is why Doc put him back in the last minute tonight.  Nice move Doc.  You won't get many compliments from me, so enjoy it Doc.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:40 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
We must remember that Ray helped to win Game Five with his tap out rebound to ice that one and he hit two clutch FT's tonight to help us win the series. 

We could have lost Game Five without him out-hustling a taller Wally for that rebound.

That is why Doc put him back in the last minute tonight.  Nice move Doc.  You won't get many compliments from me, so enjoy it Doc.

good points smitty.  however, i think the sole reason he was put in at the end of the game was for free throw shooting purposes.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »

Offline BlountTrauma30

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
keep in mind, Wally, who he was guarding, had 0 points, 0 assists and 1 rebound in 15 minutes...you have to give Ray Allen credit for playing great defense...Ray also was +3 for the game...so even if Ray isn't scoring, he is helping the team win and playing excellent D...

Posey was -5 because he kept getting burned on D...House had a great game (+13) because of his defense and hustle, BUT he had a terrible shooting night as well, going 1 for 5, compared to Ray's 1 for 6...don't sleep on Ray, and give a lot of credit to the Cavs D

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:43:11 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
keep in mind, Wally, who he was guarding, had 0 points, 0 assists and 1 rebound in 15 minutes...you have to give Ray Allen credit for playing great defense...Ray also was +3 for the game...so even if Ray isn't scoring, he is helping the team win and playing excellent D...

great stats, thanks for providing.  however, i attribute wally's poor game, numbers, and low minutes to his foul trouble.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:40 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
This whole series, I kept hearing about how they were going to try and get Allen more involved in the offense. And yet, game after game, I saw the same thing. When the defense shows high on the screening action for Allen, he simply isn't open and can't get open for a clean look at the three. Cleveland neutralized him to perfection. Detroit will watch the tapes and do the same thing. They have got to find a different way to get the ball in his hands.

If Boston is going to continue and use the screening action for Allen, Garnett should be setting the screens so that if Garnett's man shows high to prevent a clean look for Allen, Rondo can dump it to Garnett instead of Allen. You'd think they could get a major mismatch with Allen's man guarding KG on the switch. I don't know, it makes sense in my head. But surely, professional NBA coaches would have thought of this.....right?

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:38 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Allen has been facing a double team the moment he touches the ball for most of the series.  I don't expect that to happen with Detroit, so I expect that he'll be able to find his shooting touch again.  The player who needs to step it up if he's going to keep his minutes is Rondo (I'd say Perkins too, but Rivers yo-yo's him a bit anyway).

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 02:08:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I feel the answer to this question is how do they play him. The Cavs almost strictly face gaurded him. Wally played almost no help defense the entire series just planting himself in front of Ray. A good way for us to eleviate this problem would be to have him set screens in the pick and roll (pick and pop in this case), or to have him start the offense (he is more likely to get his flow back if he has a lot of touches even if he's not shooting often). Doc apparently does not want to deviate from his game plan in order to get Ray going or he has a different opinion about how to do it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19