Author Topic: Sam is going to see more time against Detroit / What is Sam's role? (merged)  (Read 3023 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know Eddie played great for the last two games, but he just doesn't have the size to match up with billups in the post and neither does Rondo. I don't worry about Billups really taking Sam off the dribble because a pulled groin muscle takes a while to heal, I don't think he will be 100% at all. We can still use Eddie in certain situations, but I think we are gonna see Sam I am with the backup PG minutes in this next series.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:49:46 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Doc should stick with Eddie. House is the best defender at the point on screen and rolls, he muscles his way through them and keeps up with his man better than Rondo and miles better than Cassell. His defense is needed on Chauncey Billups. The team also needs his shooting, ball movement benefits, belief and his energy.

I dislike the idea of Sammy on Chauncey. It's giving their their best matchup a free lunch. Sam isn't a good enough defender.

Doc needs to work on how they handle backcourt pressure from Detroit. I'd like them to plop KG in the centre cirlce area and have Eddie pass ahead to KG, then KG pass ahead to the wing. Then reset and get into the halfcourt offense if there's no easy scoring opportunity. I'd rather not see Eddie forced to beat the pressure by himself, that'll cause unneccessary problems.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I agree that Sam has a shot to play more.  Remember, it was Detroit's ability to pressure House in the first Detroit game of the season that made everyone cry out for a real back up point guard. 

While you could argue that Pierce or Allen can handle the ball, that really isn't the ideal situation either.  Despite Pierce's strong play today, he still had some turnovers and near-turnovers that wouldn't have happened had  he not been handling the ball so much. 

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Kind of like earlier in the year when the Clips played Detroit and Sam had 4 pts and Billups dropped 23 on him?! Or how about last year when he got outscored 11-3 and 17-2.

Billups will eat Cassell for lunch. House is at least a pesky defender. I am not sure that House is the answer either, but Rondo will have to do much of the work. I am betting that we might even see Ray on him and Rondo on the quicker Hamilton.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Sam needs to be ready.  This is the series that they got him for.  The Pistons still can provide the heavy pressure. 

Unless the Celtics prove this series they can get the ball up and into the offense without Rondo on the floor, they need to have Cassell ready.

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Sam ain't playing.  It's been clear all year that House was the best option at backup PG.

I haven't been on this site for a few weeks but, it's nice to see nothings changed.  I have to wonder if some people actually watch the same games.  Anyway Sammy ain't playing.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How quickly the Sam haters forget, we wouldn't have won this series without Sam. He hit 3 clutch 4th quarter shots in game 1 and we won by 4 . Then in game 2 he was the spark off the bench that got the Celtics back in the game when they were down by 14, he scroed like 7 or 9 points and then after that the celtics took control of the game. He is clutch and will be again in the pistons series !!

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Yeah I don't know where they would be if his back hadn't act up.  Wink Wink.  Let's be thankful for the blessing.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline Fastbreak

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
You are correct rondohondo..good thread btw...with that being Who, the poster, does make the point that Eddie certainly proved that he deserves more minutes going foward..I guess it all depends on how healty Billups is..

Should/Will Cassell now get any more minutes this postseason?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Huge props to Doc for finally telling himself "ok Sam isn't shooting well at all, so why else should he be out there?" and bringing in Eddie House.

The question is, is that move for good?

Believe it or not, I actually hope it isn't.  Now I'm not saying that I think that Eddie should be put back on the bench.  I think he should get more minutes but I do want to give Cassell another opportunity for the next series.

Re: Should/Will Cassell now get any more minutes this postseason?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think he play in the next series.

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
We can make a pretty good use of tony allen on Chauncey too
no mather what a dumb foul during season says by itself.
he can carry the phisicality of chauncey for stretches too
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Should/Will Cassell now get any more minutes this postseason?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 10:42:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wouldn't play Cassell again until the team is consistently ineffective with Eddie on the floor.  So long as he's producing, and more importantly the team's producing, I'm fine with leaving Sam on the bench.

That being said, Eddie had trouble with Detroit's on-the-ball pressure earlier this season.  The best thing for Doc to do would be to allow Pierce or Ray to be the primary ball-handler when Eddie is in there.  I wouldn't be shocked if Doc uses Eddie's past struggles as justification to bench him, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think Eddie still brings more of the up-tempo offense and stifling defensive energy that we need, and that he should be the first rotation at PG. But, I also think there may be more situations arise with the Pistons where Sam could be helpful, (if he's hitting his shot, obviously). I feel we may get lulled into the half-court with Detroit, and Sam can be effective in that situation.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *