Author Topic: Pistons must be happy  (Read 2484 times)

Pistons must be happy
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

Offline CelticSteve

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
They interviewed Billups at halftime of the game and asked who he wished to play, the Celtics or Cavs. He stated he didn't care, and as a competitor that may be true. However, I think they are happy it is the Celtics because if they play the Cavs, they run the risk of having to play against the Cavs bench- the League and REF bias- man crushes all around for LeBron! Lebron gets way too many calls and it only takes a few to take the opposing team out of their flow. Can you imagine how many technical fouls Rasheed would end up with if he he took a charge from Lebron but was called for the foul. I think the Pistons are jumping for joy- and I want the Celtics to figuratively break their ankles.

Re: Pistons must be happy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
either way the Pistons are in for a hard fought series - it'll be interesting to see how this plays out - while the c's have more "superstars" both teams have been built on the team concept - no marketing edge IMO as far as the league is concerned, though a Celtics/Lakers Final would be big money

as for the matchups - I think either way the Pistons have their hands full - and the C's bench is clearly better than the Cavs bench, don't know where that comment came from - this one could easily go to game 7, and hey, we've held serve twice, whats to say we won't do it again... best playoff ride ever - the playoff beard keeps growing!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Um, yeah - Homecourt vs no homecourt, 3-1 vs the Cavs in the regular season vs 1-2 against us with the 1 win by 2 points in the last second, the revenge factor from last year's playoffs - I think it's safe to say they would rather play the Cavs than us.  Being the Pistons, they think they can beat anybody though.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I hate when the media guys ask that question.

I think in this case, it's like asking somebody do you want me to poke you in the left eye or the right eye? You have to deal with Lebron, who already knows he can beat them himself, or the Celtics, who have taken the season series with Detroit. Either way you have to start expecting these series' to go to the brink at this point in the playoffs regardless. The only real reason I could see Det. hoping for Cleveland is to get home court.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't know what Billups was thinking but any team would rather have the home court so for that reason alone, Detroit would prefer that.  All he has to say is having home court gives our fans more games (probably) so that is better.

As far the match-ups, Cle is not the same team that Detroit played during the year.  I think Cle's length would give Detroit trouble in the same ways they gave us trouble.

We can start the predictions right here but I think the Celtics have an easier time with Detroit than they did with Cle.  We might even shoot more free throws than Detroit.

Boston in 5.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think so. They had a much better chance of beating Cleveland than the C's. They should be unhappy with this result.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The Pistons had to have been expecting to play the Celtics in the Conference Finals since about December.  That the Celtics have had to play 14 games to get to the ECF vs the Pistons 11 games, might make Detroit happy though.

Any status report on Billups?
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Um, yeah - Homecourt vs no homecourt, 3-1 vs the Cavs in the regular season vs 1-2 against us with the 1 win by 2 points in the last second, the revenge factor from last year's playoffs - I think it's safe to say they would rather play the Cavs than us.  Being the Pistons, they think they can beat anybody though.

Yeah, exactly - and to the OP's point about the referees - the only difference is that we have 15 guys that get questionably beneficial treatment instead of one that gets blatantly beneficial treatment.
God bless and good night!