Poll

Will this Game 7 go down as one of the greatest?

Yes
17 (68%)
No
2 (8%)
I'm too drained to answer.
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Will this Game 7 go down as one of the greatest?  (Read 3327 times)

Will this Game 7 go down as one of the greatest?
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I think so. I was too young to watch Bird and 'Nique go at it. It was two all-stars back and forth for all the marbles. At the very least, I think it'll be rebroadcast on ESPN Classic.

Re: Will this Game 7 go down as one of the greatest?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
The Q's Old School Classic Recorder went off today. Yes, this was a good one, a very good one.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yes indeed.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
this one has instant classic written all over it, especially if the c's go all the way
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
No. There was a nice 2nd half duel between Lebron and Pierce, but that was about it. Don't get me wrong - it was a great game. But there was no massive rollercoaster of emotions (where you think you've won only to turn around and think you've lost) - not a single lead change the whole game. I was full of nervous energy, but I never had any doubts about this game.

That Bird/Wilkens duel in '88 had at all. The duel was more pronounced, lots of back-and-forth with momentum and lead changes, and there was no way to be confident about who would win the game (other than having the leprechaun on our side). 

That's my take...

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I can easily see this one showing up in heavy rotation on ESPN classic, especially if the Celtics go on to win a championship.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
No. There was a nice 2nd half duel between Lebron and Pierce, but that was about it. Don't get me wrong - it was a great game. But there was no massive rollercoaster of emotions (where you think you've won only to turn around and think you've lost) - not a single lead change the whole game. I was full of nervous energy, but I never had any doubts about this game.

That Bird/Wilkens duel in '88 had at all. The duel was more pronounced, lots of back-and-forth with momentum and lead changes, and there was no way to be confident about who would win the game (other than having the leprechaun on our side). 

That's my take...

Old School in me says no -- but common sense says it was right up there with the other great Celtic game 7s --- if, they continue to move forth.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Doubtful...The Celtics had the lead the whole time...Both offenses were pretty stagnant besides Pierce and Lebron, they were the only thing that made this game exciting. (Eddie House and PJ Brown i could throw in there as well.)

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I can easily see this one showing up in heavy rotation on ESPN classic, especially if the Celtics go on to win a championship.

I agree.  Absolute classic.  Relish the moment fellas.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 07:48:03 PM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
i think it will be remembered as a classic by celtics fans especially if they win, but i dont htink it will be remembered as one fo the greatest ever by non celts fans.  i think this is due to the fact that so much fo the game was spent at the line, there was a stretch there where pretty much every possession was a foul and it got kind of stagnant.  but for me, and im sure for all of you, with the way pierce led this team to victory, we will remember it as one of the best ever.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

That's my take...

I, on the other hand, had many thoughts racing through my head, including a "What the Celtics need to do in the offseason." post. Even in the final minute, I was unsure of the outcome, but that was more due to fear of LeBron. There's only two players in the league that scare me like that and LeBron is one of them. The other is awaiting the Spurs/Hornets.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »

Offline jared1187

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
paul pierces performance is one that will represent how great this game 7 was to me.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
No

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
It was a foul shooting contest. Not one of the greatest. If Cleveland makes a few more foul shots the ending may be different.