Author Topic: Leadership - Who's the Man  (Read 2746 times)

Leadership - Who's the Man
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline micah kenneth

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
For some reason we all said KG was Boston's # 1 man on the team and in my opinion he still is Boston's main man.
We sort of looked at the Big Three as being equal in terms of leading this team to a championship, well its becoming apparent that leadership can't be shared on this team, one person needs to emerge as the leader and have everyone else follow. Pierce has been here the longest but has never been the prototype of leader, he's always been a good player but never a leader, so when the team disgarded Antoine Walker they were left with Pierce who never knew how to handle leadership, being the top scorer on the team doesn't make one the leader !
Ray Allen is another good player and in my opinion an excellent side kick but he's not a leader.
Doc Rivers is a good talker and a fair coach at best, so far he's not been able to inspire his team to greatness, he's hasn't been able to establish a clear leader on the court when all three are on the court at the same time.
Pierce is much to turn over prone to be a leader,he is driven more by his ego than his desire to win at all cost.
KG has the most leadership qualities but KG needs the guidance of his coaach to inspire him to be the MAN, this so called MAN has to will his desire to win onto his team mates and then show them how its done !
Who's the MAN of the C's

Re: Leadership - Who's the Man
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
KG's the guy.  He led the team back a couple of times last night.  Unfortunately once they got with in striking range he missed a couple of chippies.  But his energy on the defensive end, and hot shooting on the offense led the Celtics back into the game.  He's trying to be a lot more assertive the last couple of games.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
KG. 

But they don't feed him enough after he comes back off the bench in the 2nd and early 4th. 

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i believe this has nothing to do with leadership...it has everything to do with a pathetic offensive gameplan, a lack of adjustments by the coaching staff, and the fact that cleveland is making this harder than everyone thought they would.

right now, perkins and allen are NOT producing...so, we're trying to win with a point guard that is still finding his way, a superstar who fades late in games, and our captain who is playing his butt off on defense, but needs more scoring help.

and now that our esteemed coach is tinkering with rotations it really is hurting this team.

there is plenty of leadership...it's these other items that are deeply hurting us.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
i believe this has nothing to do with leadership...it has everything to do with a pathetic offensive gameplan, a lack of adjustments by the coaching staff, and the fact that cleveland is making this harder than everyone thought they would.

right now, perkins and allen are NOT producing...so, we're trying to win with a point guard that is still finding his way, a superstar who fades late in games, and our captain who is playing his butt off on defense, but needs more scoring help.

and now that our esteemed coach is tinkering with rotations it really is hurting this team.

there is plenty of leadership...it's these other items that are deeply hurting us.

Perkins is producing what the Celtics need.  Defense.

The offensive players (Pierce/Ray/Cassell) have not produced like they are expected.  If they did, series over. 

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I have wrote it,said it,over and over,they need to feed KG the ball more in the fourth quarters in this series.He seems to be the only player,that has scored consistently in this series,why not go to him in the end?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:05:59 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have wrote it,said it,over and over,they need to feed KG the ball more in the fourth quarters in this series.He seems to be the only player,that has scored consitently in this series,why not go to him in the end?

I agree with them needing to go to him late, the problem is he seems to start missing in the clutch.  He was absolutely THE MAN last night leading the Celtics back, but once they got within range he missed a couple of very  makable shots.  I'll even point back to Game 5, when the Cavs were mounting their late comeback.  KG missed a 15 footer that he'd been hitting all night that would have pretty much clinched the win. 

From what I've seen, KG misses the same shots he generally makes at a much higher percentage when we get down to the last few minutes of a close game.

Love the guy.  He can absolutely carry the team for long stretches, but more often than not he misses the clutch ones.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

...and taking two or three bad shots for every one good one (and missing one out of every two good ones he takes)....5-15, 6 TO, holding the ball a lot in the offense--I agree that Perk and Ray were invisible out there, but they took 3 fewer shots combined than the captain, and made just as many as he did. Last night wasn't on them.

Just watch the differences when Ray is out with the second unit (as he was at the end of the first quarter/beginning of the second when PP picked up his second foul) and when Paul is out there with them (as he was in the 3rd/4th for a little while). Watch the ball movement (maybe that's because Ray isn't looking for his own shot, and this is a confidence issue, etc, etc...), watch the flow. Much, much better.

I just wish Ray was playing a little more selfish and Pierce was a little less (not just talking about shots, talking about moving the ball, overdribbling, etc...)...but maybe I'm watching a different game out there than the rest of you.

Anyway, I think we'd have won in 5-6 games if we drew Orlando, and Detroit would be having fits with Cleveland (who are absolute beasts on the glass)....

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Just watch the differences when Ray is out with the second unit (as he was at the end of the first quarter/beginning of the second when PP picked up his second foul) and when Paul is out there with them (as he was in the 3rd/4th for a little while). Watch the ball movement (maybe that's because Ray isn't looking for his own shot, and this is a confidence issue, etc, etc...), watch the flow. Much, much better.
Yep, I was really impressed with Ray Allen in the second unit last night also. They had a lovely flow to their offense. Lots more movement and passing. Good shots. The bench did really well when they were in for the second quarter. House had a really good stretch, Posey grabbing boards and dishing dimes, BBD played well, PJ was solid. Ray weaved that unit together very nicely.

Pity there weren't more scorers on the floor to take better advantage of it.

I didn't think Ray did that well with the second unit during the regular season though, so maybe it just one of those games where things worked that don't normally work.