Author Topic: A little Perspective  (Read 6101 times)

A little Perspective
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Now that I have had a chance to sleep off last night's loss I have come up with a couple thoughts:

1- This is the reason locking down homecourt through the playoffs was such a big accomplishment. We have game 7 at home where we are a much different team.  Just like in the Atlanta series you knew that the refs were not going to have calls going our way at all on the road. Especially since Lebron gets the Jordan treatment.

2- We win one game in our building and we get to go play Detroit who we match up much better with and who has a player the refs will hate worse than anyone out there. (Rasheed) Maybe we'll get a few calls.

3- Only 1 team has won 1 game in on the road in the semis. As poor as we have played offensively the majority of this series we still are playing VERY well defensively which has kept us in games.

4- Despite some interesting rotations is finally appears we will see more of House that gives us an added dimension to our offense.

5- Rondo has typically followed up a bad game with a dominant one especially at home.

6- KG just won't let this team lose a game 7.

Guys, Cleveland is a pretty good team with a lot of weapons. We played horribly on offense and we STILL had a solid chance to win that game. Had Cleveland blown us out of the building I would have been concerned. The refs basically handed them the game and we still almost won!  The sky is not falling. Doc isn't the worst coach ever. Ray isn't in need of being benched. It's just not that big of a deal. All you can ask for in a game 6 against a good team is the chance at winning one in the end. We had that chance and it just didn't quite work out. We will close this out in Boston tomorrow and all will be forgotten.

Re: A little Perspective
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure that we match up that much better with Detroit than we do Cleveland.  Arguably, they're equally or more talented at four of the five positions than Cleveland is, and they're bench is equal to Cleveland's, if not better.

Also, I'm a little sick of the "the other teams aren't winning on the road in this round, either".  First, both Detroit and LA got it done against much better teams on the road.  Second, we're the only team that couldn't win a game on the road in the first round.  Third, none of those other teams won 66 games in the regular season.  We're supposed to be the best, and yet we're lagging behind.

I think we'll win Game 7, because we're a much better team than Cleveland.  However, this team is seriously flawed right now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »

Offline johnnymost

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • This year
I'm not sure that we match up that much better with Detroit than we do Cleveland.  Arguably, they're equally or more talented at four of the five positions than Cleveland is, and they're bench is equal to Cleveland's, if not better.

Also, I'm a little sick of the "the other teams aren't winning on the road in this round, either".  First, both Detroit and LA got it done against much better teams on the road.  Second, we're the only team that couldn't win a game on the road in the first round.  Third, none of those other teams won 66 games in the regular season.  We're supposed to be the best, and yet we're lagging behind.

I think we'll win Game 7, because we're a much better team than Cleveland.  However, this team is seriously flawed right now.

Agreed. About the only matchup we may have an advantage is KG vs. Rasheed., It has looked like KG gets deeply into his head and owns him.
No more waiting

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Until the Celtics flaws cost them a series they'll merely be annoying characteristics.  I'd rather be imperfect and moving on, than be sitting at home like all but 5 other teams in the league right now.

If they lose tomorrow, I'm all ears.

You don't get extra points for artistic impression.  Win the series and move on.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We're supposed to be the best, but you can't overlook the fact that this is the first time this team has been to the playoffs as a unit. Struggles are to be expected.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
First, the following argument:  2- We win one game in our building and we get to go play Detroit who we match up much better with and who has a player the refs will hate worse than anyone out there. (Rasheed) Maybe we'll get a few calls -- was also what we heard after the Atlanta series. We match up much better with Cleveland than Atlanta.  Atlanta was the worst draw the C's could have gotten.  How is that working out for them?

Second, the Celtics are the first #1 seed in the history of the NBA playoffs to lose the first six road games.  And, no team in the history of the NBA has won a championship having lost its first six road games.

Third, I love KG, but I do not share the confidence that he will not let this team lose in a game 7.  In most of these games, he simply has not stepped up in the end.

Finally, I think the Celtics win tomorrow, but I give them no more than a 60-percent chance.  If Doc was not the coach, we would already be playing Detroit.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

seriously flawed? They played a heck of a game last night, came back twice and had their chances to win. I agree they had some serious problems on the road against the hawks and in games 3+4 against cleveland, but last night they looked like the team I saw during the regular season. The problem last night was that the officials were not going to let them win. I criticized them as much as anyone during the otheer road losses, but they deserve some credit for their play last night.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Second, the Celtics are the first #1 seed in the history of the NBA playoffs to lose the first six road games.  And, no team in the history of the NBA has won a championship having lost its first six road games.

I'm guessing no team who lost six road games lived this long either.  The point that it's never happened before has no bearing on what happens going forward.  It's an oddity, and a head-scratcher to be sure though.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If it hasn't happened before, then it increases our chances of it happening now...

Point is, we had a chance to win in their building and it took the refs to not have us moving on right now. I am channeling all my negativity of last night to positive for game 7. When we win and move on everyone on here will shift to the other end of the spectrum.

One thing that I think is right however. Bibby may have been reading this board when he ripped us as fair weather fans... The extreme shifts is unbelievable!!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If it hasn't happened before, then it increases our chances of it happening now...

Point is, we had a chance to win in their building and it took the refs to not have us moving on right now. I am channeling all my negativity of last night to positive for game 7. When we win and move on everyone on here will shift to the other end of the spectrum.

One thing that I think is right however. Bibby may have been reading this board when he ripped us as fair weather fans... The extreme shifts is unbelievable!!

The refs may have been a big part, but the Celtics were no where close to playing their A game.

Defense, yes.

Offensively.  Scored less then 80 points

Rebounding.  Awful. 

Celtics are talented enough to overcome the officials if they play their A game.  Something we just haven't seen since the regular season.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

seriously flawed? They played a heck of a game last night, came back twice and had their chances to win. I agree they had some serious problems on the road against the hawks and in games 3+4 against cleveland, but last night they looked like the team I saw during the regular season. The problem last night was that the officials were not going to let them win. I criticized them as much as anyone during the otheer road losses, but they deserve some credit for their play last night.

Pierce: 5-for-15 (33%), 16 points, 6 turnovers
Allen: 3-for-8 (37.5%), 9 points
Rondo: 1-for-4 (25%), 2 points, 3 turnovers
Perk: 4 points, 3 rebounds
P.J. / Posey / BBD: 2-for-11 (18.1%), 4 points

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to fall all over myself giving kudos for that performance.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Point is, we had a chance to win in their building and it took the refs to not have us moving on right now.

Enough with the refs.  They didn't cost us the game. They cost us a chance to get back into the game.  There's a difference.

We were still behind, and that had very little to do with the officiating.  We mounted a comeback and had momentum, and then the refs repeatedly screwed us down the stretch, but it was the team's poor play that had them in a hole to start with.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The Celtics extreme shifts have been equally unbelievable.  Coincidence? ;)
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Fair weather fans do not care enough to get so upset. 

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Point is, we had a chance to win in their building and it took the refs to not have us moving on right now.

Enough with the refs.  They didn't cost us the game. They cost us a chance to get back into the game.  There's a difference.

We were still behind, and that had very little to do with the officiating.  We mounted a comeback and had momentum, and then the refs repeatedly screwed us down the stretch, but it was the team's poor play that had them in a hole to start with.
The Cavs came out at the start of the game and practically had neon-flashing signs pointing to their collective jugular and the Celtics still couldn't find it within themselves to go for the early kill.
Yup