Author Topic: Ray Allen needs to be the 6th man for game 7, Posey or TA needs to start  (Read 6767 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know Ray has been the starter all year , but he isn't getting enough opportunities to get his offense going. I think it would be best to start Posey on Lebron that way Paul Pierce doesn't have to waste all his energy by defending Lebron at the beginning of the game. I think this will let Paul get his offense going by moving him to the SG  spot. Ray Allen comes in for PP as the 6th man so he can get more shots when Pierce goes out and he is playing against 2nd stringers.

San Antonio did the exact same thing with Ginobali last year and it worked out great for them in the Playoffs. I don't expect to see it happen, but I think it would be the best thing for Ray and the team.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:03:17 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Ray Allen needs to be the 6th man for game 7, Posey needs to start
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 01:33:09 AM »

Offline CJD4051

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I completely agree, Ray can' get anything going offensively so playing against 2nd stringers cant hurt, he just needs to find his confidence although at this point it may be too little too late for him

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »

Offline chrismcc13

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
i definitly agree with this post.  maybe starting all of GPA is too much, especially with the energy needed to cover his royal highness.  ray could definitly be an older ginobli type player.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:39:52 AM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I agree with your post minus the Posey on Lebron part.  From what I can see it appears that Pierce guards Lebron MUCH better than Posey has.  It seems like whenever Posey is on Lebron he gets to the rim MUCH easier than when Pierce is guarding him.

Other than that I like the Ray off the bench idea . . . except I worry that even then he wouldn't be able to find an open shot. I can't tell if they're just not running plays for him or if he has really aged that much in the past few weeks.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:45:28 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
G.Daaaaang. I gave up in about November trying to tell the mentally challenged minions of our oh so wonderful Celts blog that Ray was injured, that I knew his medical staff in Seattle, that he was a mess, that Doc was destroying him, that he was the key to the title if healthy, and I was ignored and indeed banned briefly for "other" comments. I urged him to come off the bench. There was one particular poster who was sure I was full of cra* and the "three" needed time together early in the season. This 5 months aftre surgery.NIGHTMARE

Does everyone now get that most folks are not metally capable of making these choices? And what do you think about Ray? Should he be different? Think about it.

So this won't last long in internet world but I have no idea in the whole world how Doc could have played him so much this year and then sit House most recently, It is incredible to me.

This is Docs fault. The medical staff knows. He should have been babied.

From Seattle with love

ps: it gets weirder: I went to Marquette with Doc. I am a life long Celtics fan who when in Cleveland and when I was 9 and turned on the transistor radio my dad gave me for me b-day, Johnny Most was on wbz. Later I could get the games in Iowa in school. This situation is a nightmare.  Why WHY WHY for gods sake was RAY NOT SAVED FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:46:52 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Starting lineup:

Allen
Pierce
Posey
Garnett
Perkins

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 01:47:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yea i agree with keeping Pierce on Posey. Pierce has done a great job containing LeBron and forcing him to take jump shots. The other night LeBron was 3 for 3 on Posey and i didnt see if there was a stat for tonight. I wouldnt mind seeing Allen come off the bench. Even though hes struggling hes gotta get more shot attempts.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 01:48:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Posey hasn't exactly been great the last few games either. 

Can't move Ray around right now.

But I think you can reduce his minutes.  Let him know his minutes are being reduced so hopefully he can be more effective (and save less energy to be able to play 40 minutes)

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:49:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Starting lineup:

Allen
Pierce
Posey
Garnett
Perkins

Really, really bad.

They need Rondo.  He sets the offense.  Even tonight.  His stats might not have been pretty, but the Celtics awful shooting cost him a couple of assists. 

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:52:31 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
Starting lineup:

Allen
Pierce
Posey
Garnett
Perkins

Really, really bad.

They need Rondo.  He sets the offense.  Even tonight.  His stats might not have been pretty, but the Celtics awful shooting cost him a couple of assists. 

Rondo has been gas-piping it.  Maybe coming off the bench will give him a change to settle in better. 

As for the lineup being really bad, how so?  Cleveland is putting out West, James, Wallace, Wally, and Z.  There's not much speed or quickness there to overrun that Celtics starting 5.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
How about Tony Allen to start? He does better as a starter and can change the dynamics of a basketball game. I just think Ray Allen has to be injured, he has been god awful this series.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Starting lineup:

Allen
Pierce
Posey
Garnett
Perkins

Really, really bad.

Rondo has been gas-piping it.  Maybe coming off the bench will give him a change to settle in better. 

As for the lineup being really bad, how so?  Cleveland is putting out West, James, Wallace, Wally, and Z.  There's not much speed or quickness there to overrun that Celtics starting 5.

How many TOs did Cleveland force when Pierce was running the offense (with House)?

You know that is who Doc would give that job to with that lineup. 

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:56:45 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
Starting lineup:

Allen
Pierce
Posey
Garnett
Perkins

Really, really bad.

How many TOs did Cleveland force when Pierce was running the offense (with House)?

You know that is who Doc would give that job to with that lineup. 

Without making this about Doc (please!)......  Isn't it the coach's responsibility as coach to make it clear that Allen is running the point in that situation?

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 01:58:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Without making this about Doc (please!)......  Isn't it the coach's responsibility as coach to make it clear that Allen is running the point in that situation?

Aren't there many responsibilities the coach is suppose to take that have gone missing?

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:00:30 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How about Tony Allen to start? He does better as a starter and can change the dynamics of a basketball game. I just think Ray Allen has to be injured, he has been god awful this series.
I actually like that Idea a lot. He is actually someone who goes to the rim other then Rondo and Pierce no one else really does, he is also a guy who can be a defensive force if his head is in the game. The only thing I would worry about is that he has barely played in the last 2 months, but then again the same could have been said about house before tonight and he took advantage of his opportunity. I would like to see TA start the more that I think about it because then you can come with Posey and Ray off the bench. TA can stay with Wally I have no doubt about that and I think he could cause a few turnovers when guarding him. Ray Ray can still play 35 mins in the game , but let him get a majority of those minutes against Cleveland's bench .