Author Topic: Big three?? Only big two  (Read 9271 times)

Re: Big three?? Only big two
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
When you are only taking 7-8 shots the difference of shooting 35% and 50% is missing just ONE shot. It is really tough to blame Ray who has taken a back seat on this team without any complaining over 1 shot per game in the playoffs. He is just not being used effectively.

Once again, I grant you the point that Ray isn't getting as many touches as he's used to in his career.  And I agree that that can affect his play to an extent.  I definitely give him props for being willing to sacrifice his personal numbers and for buying into his new role...in the regular season.

That said, we're not talking one game or 7-8 shots anymore.  We're talking 13 games, and 155 shots that Allen is shooting at 39%.  It'd take a lot more than one made shot, at this point, to change Allen's shooting percentages around.

Also, as I said before, his role now is the same that it's been all year.  The Celts don't need for him to be the Seattle Allen that scored 25 ppg when he had all types of plays run for him.  Just be the Allen from the season that would give a consistent 17 points on reasonable shooting, the one that was a legitimate outside threat, the one that defenses had to spend at least a bit of time game-planning for.  It's not a new thing that he hasn't been having plays run for him...it's just a new thing that when he does get a shot he's missing so many of them.

That's part of what this team has been missing this post-season.  Allen hasn't played his part.  Neither has Pierce, to be honest, and at least one (and preferably both) need to get their heads on straight soon if this season is going to continue beyond Sunday.

Yes, but you he could hit the next 20 in a row and he still wouldn't have a great shooting percentage for that stretch. That one shot each game for all those games IS the issue. It really doesn't matter what he did in past games if he isn't put in a position to be successful. PP has no chance whatsoever to consistently play well offensively against Lebron. He just isn't as quick or strong and when they let him get away with physically manhandling PP it isn't going to happen. We need to let PP be a decoy and set some actual plays for Ray where he can step up and get his type of shots. Set the guy a pick for goodness sake! Let him get a few 15 footers off the curl  so his confidence is up and then let him hit some threes. He is the only one other than KG right now that is capable of going for 25-30. PP isn't.

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
To all the Ray Allen supporters- it's nice to be patient and loyal and all, but I think I must be in some alternate universe than you are, because I'm seeing a Ray Allen who is slow and useless. Why should the focus of the team be to get him going? And honestly, I don't understand it- he's not that old. That must be what Doc is thinking- he can't be washed up, he'll get it going soon, etc.
At least TA, the so-called turnover machine, will play D, hustle, and drive. He may not look as smooth or graceful as Ray, but at this point, I'd be giving TA some of Ray's minutes.
And PP is doing OK, but too many three attempts and careless turnovers. Maybe something to do with defending LeBron?
As for KG, I don't see how anyone can find any fault with him. He's been superb.
So I'll call it the big 1.75 :)

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is just another reason why Doc is a horrible coach and ruining our chances. Allen is getting the most minutes per game and he isnt a factor at all when hes out on the court. LeBron toasts him when he plays D on him and Ray cant put the ball in the basket. Throw Tony Allen in there for some minutes and try and shake up Ray a little bit and spark a fire under him. Maybe if Tony takes some minutes Ray will step up in his.