Author Topic: Why the basketball purest have left the NBA!  (Read 2970 times)

Why the basketball purest have left the NBA!
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I've watched for a long time and seen the NBA devolve.  It has become a second rate league ruled by money.  I blame it on our culture.  As much as I loved watching the figure that was Michael Jordan I believe not consciously that it has destroyed United States basketball.  It has become iconic worship and marketing that rules respect.  This has led to a degradation of the basics.  Foul shooting is decling.  True defensive ability is gone.  Rules like defensive three seconds and 24 second shot clock have made it a one one one league.

The results:  Playoffs are pushed to 7 games whenever possible to get the maximum amount of money.  Anyone watching the C's playoffs can see the officlas are dicating the course of all games.  One game at home we get 38 foul shots on the road we get 6.

In tonights game I have seen 4 illegal picks on Boston, none on Clevland.  I've seen Big baby get hacked 4 times and nudge Lebron.  I've seen phantom traveling twice on Boston, not once on Clevland.  I've seen Z literally push a guy out of the way.  I've seen two defensive three seconds on Boston and not one on Cleveland.  This is just the start.

Why do you think we can no longer win the olympics.  I weep for the days that once were.

Re: Why the basketball purest have left the NBA!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Great post TP for you. The basics of basketball, of what makes the game, has left the NBA. Stars like Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are promoted, instead of their team. I love the NBA, I love basketball, but it's a sad fact.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
You don't know how many college and high school coaches I have asked that say they don't watch the nba anymore.  My love for the C's goes way back so it is hard not to watch.  Though I won't watch any other games, or few regular season games.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Its more fun to watch the kids I coach then this.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
These playoffs are the most exasperating thing I've ever watched in my life.  It really does put me at a crossroads, I love basketball, I LOVE the Celtics, but the NBA is just bad. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »

Offline Hondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'll keep watching because I love basketball and the Celtics, but I agree it is exasperating to say the least.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Offline Hondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Barkley was quoted as saying the Stars play the same road or home, but it is the role players who are much better at home.  He didn't elaborate but it's safe to say the reason is they have no chance of getting any call.  David could be defended by Jason from Friday the 13th or Freddy Kruger and he wouldn't go to the line. 

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:05:14 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
TP to the OP - great post...you've captured a lot of the collective thinking amongst us "old timers" (if that's what a 35 year old is these days)...

expansion and early entry candidates have deeply hurt the nba...

imagine the nfl today if guys went directly to the nfl out of high school, or just one year of college.  very soon, the game would suffer...the nfl understands that those guys don't belong out there.

in the nba, a GM is almost forced into taking a gerald green over a more established ryan gomes (for example).  but that means that bad teams, who need IMMEDIATE help, are forced into developing a player, that though he may have tons of potential, still doesn't help the team improve in the short run.

i'm a celtics fan...always have been and always will be.  but the nba in general just doesn't do it for me like it once did 15-20 years ago.  it's an individual-driven league where the focus is on a hand full of star players who are there to entertain people.

i wish everyone could have lived through the 1980's version of the nba...i'm thankful that i did and i really miss what the league once was.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
the game both college & pro is played on the dribble now - much less fluid and more ragged.

Loving the Celtics is a tough deal nowdays. i'm still in love with the team, but the franchise is not the same as it was and i'm afraid will never be again. the Spurs are the Celtics of the league now ...... tough, smart, competitive, talented and playing together.

I still want the franchise to hang some banners, for the sake of the Celtics name if nothing else. But it's hard to wrap my heart around this team. i've never cared for Paul Pierce - i don't think the guy has what it takes deep down. i appreciate Kevin Garnett and i think he cares alot and competes, but there is some intangible missing with him, i'm afraid.

and don't get me started on Doc Rivers. it's just a bunch of guys who have underachieved in the playoffs their entire careers coached by a dumb guy who never won anything as a player or a coach.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:14:09 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
i wouldn't say its the effects of jordan, the style kids play now, etc., as much as it is david stern allowing this crap to happen. if he had any real referee reviews, reprimanded refs for unfair calls, etc., this wouldn't be a problem. stern is a smart business man, but a totalitarian dictator and has helped destroy the same nba he helped elevate in the late 70s/early 80s. if i'm a player and i've worked all year to get to this point, to have refs blatantly make bad calls when i'm on the road to help push series as long as possible makes me want to jump into the stands and fight people. namely, david stern, if he's in the stands.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:05 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the game both college & pro is played on the dribble now - much less fluid and more ragged.

Loving the Celtics is a tough deal nowdays. i'm still in love with the team, but the franchise is not the same as it was and i'm afraid will never be again. the Spurs are the Celtics of the league now ...... tough, smart, competitive, talented and playing together.

I still want the franchise to hang some banners, for the sake of the Celtics name if nothing else. But it's hard to wrap my heart around this team. i've never cared for Paul Pierce - i don't think the guy has what it takes deep down. i appreciate Kevin Garnett and i think he cares alot and competes, but there is some intangible missing with him, i'm afraid.

and don't get me started on Doc Rivers. it's just a bunch of guys who have underachieved in the playoffs their entire careers coached by a dumb guy who never won anything as a player or a coach.

nice post...i agree with your perspective.  it's not the same for me either.  when larry played it was life and death to me...now, honestly i can kinda take it or leave it.  i still watch the celtics, and i deep down want to really care, but for some reason it's changed.  maybe it's because i'm getting a little older, i don't know.

it's just a different game...hardly anyone plays in the post.

even tonight - perkins throws down a dunk with a minute to play, cuts a 9 pt. deficit to 7 and he runs down the floor pumping his fist.  and i'm thinking, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.??  just run down the floor and play ball because you're still getting your ass kicked. 

could anyone imagine larry and kevin running into each other and bumping chests?  (and with that set of ribs mchale had, bird would have gotten killed).  it's just so much different these days, and it makes me question what these guys are really playing for ultimately...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."