Author Topic: WWF has better officiating...  (Read 5730 times)

WWF has better officiating...
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline Hondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would love to sit in on a meeting between David Stern and the refs.  This kind of action has to be league sanctioned.  There is no way that it could be so uniformly bad across the league (1 away team winning a game) without it being a mandate.  There is no way the Celtics could possibly win this game if it continues like this unless they just shoot lights out.  I can't think of any other major sport that operates like this.  Pathetic...

Re: WWF has better officiating...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
yeah...and mean gene was a way better commentator.....lol

still 2 qt left so dont give up...

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sadly, NBA refs wait until game 7 to call the fouls even. So alot of our home court advantage will be gone next game, if we continue to lose this one.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I would love to sit in on a meeting between David Stern and the refs.  This kind of action has to be league sanctioned.  There is no way that it could be so uniformly bad across the league (1 away team winning a game) without it being a mandate.  There is no way the Celtics could possibly win this game if it continues like this unless they just shoot lights out.  I can't think of any other major sport that operates like this.  Pathetic...

It's been going on for 25 years. I have just got use to it.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I agree the refereeing is not good.  However, no one has been able to answer my question as to how the Pistons have been able to ocvercome that horrible refereeing and win two games on three games on the road.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
The officiating is pathetic.  Dick Bevetta should retire. 
Does anyone really believe Donaghy was the only one?

Big Baby got fouled on both of those offensive rebounds, but he's just a
rookie so they won't call the foul on Wallace cause he's a veteran.

Not sure how the Pistons pulled it off.  Although one of their wins was
from a great shot by Tayshaun.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
The Pistons win because of experience.  They know if you can stay close it will be called even down the stretch.  Then maybe you can steal one.  Boston needs to just stay close.  they don't react well when the reffing goes against them.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This is the first game I've had a problem with the FT differential.  We've been getting hit at the hoops without getting the call.  Pierce, Garnett, Baby, all should be getting to the line.

As we speak, KG getting there, maybe I should just keep typing for the rest of the game.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
This is horrid. I'd like to see a journalist or announcer have the stones to comment on it.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
This is horrid. I'd like to see a journalist or announcer have the stones to comment on it.

I have been thinking the same thing.  They don't have the guts to do it. 

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
That offensive against pierce ended the game.  Horrible call.  There is a reason the home teams have only lost one game this round.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12

I have been thinking the same thing.  They don't have the guts to do it. 

Van Gundy time

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:52 PM »

Offline BleedinGreen417

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
The officiating is pathetic.  Dick Bevetta should retire. 
Does anyone really believe Donaghy was the only one?
I believe the problem runs deep but I've been saying that for 20+ years.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Reposted from the game thread:

Just watched the Pierce "charge" again on frame-by-frame on my TiVo - LeBron's feet not set (that was obvious live though), Pierce's right arm is on LeBron but does not extend at all - body-to-body contact and LeBron and Pierce throw themselves apart.  If Pierce's arm had come out I could understand the call, but this was ridiculous.

Ray Allen's layup attempt - as the announcers rightly called, off the board and by the rules a goaltend - not called.

Smith's inbounds catch in frame-by-frame - Smith catches the ball, lands with both feet (2 steps, or 1 if you consider it a jump stop, which it wasn't), then immediately pivots his right foot (3 steps, or 2) and then shifts his left foot forward, finally dribbling after planting his left (4 steps, or 3).

All in the last minute of a key game.

This is atrocious - I think we knew in the first quarter we'd have to beat this team by 15 to beat them by 2, and we just didn't get it done...but still, horrible to watch in slow motion.

The NBA needs to acknowledge that it is having an officiating crisis - calls are too inconsistent, and while I don't think they're always biased for or against a given team across seasons, they are ALWAYS biased against SOME team within a given game.  Evenly called games are a small minority, especially in the last few seasons, and the league needs to address this, as it is crippling their credibility as a professional sports league.  The NFL has had problems with questionable calls in recent years (ie the Patriots holding the Colts receivers in the AFC title game a few years back), but has made public efforts to clean it up.

David Stern unfortunately has a lawyer's mentality - he would much rather people not talk about the problem than actually fix it.  This is why the NBA is struggling to be taken seriously, and it seems to only be getting worse.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:43 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen i 15 years of watching this game. Thes officials should be cuffed and taken away for this it was frickn criminal tonight. How many times did we get hammerd after an offensive rebound. But then on the other end it was not that way. That charge on pierce has got to be the most blatant "we are not going to let the home team lose" call I have seen in a long time. I'm not saying this out of anger either. It was night and day once we got the lead in the 2nd quarter. What a joke.  >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.