Author Topic: wondering about the WNBA's new promo scheme  (Read 7004 times)

wondering about the WNBA's new promo scheme
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
How much is the league helping its cause with these sorts of promos?

I realize the sarcasm...but I'm not sure if these do quite enough to 'mock' or dismiss many of the stereotypes against the league and women's basketball in general.

It seems that the WNBA is pursuing this new strategy quite aggressively (there are at least three of these spots, featuring Candace Parker, Cheryl Ford and Tamika Catchings), so I'm curious for people's thoughts on this.

For my part, I thought it was an interesting approach to face the 'doubters' head-on...but I'm not sure if it works.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJT8sSIP1_U

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

Re: wondering about the WNBA's new promo scheme
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
All it does is get me to .

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That's pretty much the consensus.

I think MLB should start a campaign featuring Barry Bonds saying "I'm sorry, but Major League Baseball is a league of roided up superfreaks who have ruined the integrity of the game and taught your children that to succeed, you should cheat" followed by "He wouldn't say that, would you?"

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I think MLB should start a campaign featuring Barry Bonds saying "I'm sorry, but Major League Baseball is a league of roided up superfreaks who have ruined the integrity of the game and taught your children that to succeed, you should cheat" followed by "He wouldn't say that, would you?"

Bingo.  TP, Roy.

Another disclaimer: This thread comes from someone with no interest in the WNBA in the first place...so reinforcing my perception of the league as something I'd have no desire to watch doesn't really work for me.  Didn't know if maybe it did the trick for any others.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
My favorite is probably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQOZRxozdFc

I mean, any commercial leading off "Women's basketball is a joke" has to grab the attention, right?

And of course there's the "Your rec league would smoke my WNBA team" commercial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1JHpNGZpkJI

Classic stuff.  I guess what the ad does is it gets people talking about the WNBA; every message board I'm on has a topic about it.  However, it's being universally mocked, so I'm not sure it's the best strategy.  If they're going to try to sell the product as something other than boring and weak, they need to mix the comments in with some counter-highlights, instead of saving those until the end (and showing relatively unimpressive plays at that.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Bingo.  TP, Roy.

Another disclaimer: This thread comes from someone with no interest in the WNBA in the first place...so reinforcing my perception of the league as something I'd have no desire to watch doesn't really work for me.  Didn't know if maybe it did the trick for any others.

-sw

Thanks, Steve, and TP for starting the thread.

I have no problem with the WNBA conceptually; I think young girls need role models, so showing them that women can be professionals at sports is a good thing.  Going to a WNBA game is probably a good way for fathers to bond with their daughters, and making them feel some sort of common bond. I also think the players in the league have some legitimate talent.  I'm glad they have a place to go after college, where they can be awarded for their skills.

All that being said, I think the product is pretty boring, so I don't watch.  I think a lot of fans have the perception that the league is being shoved down their throats, and I really can't imagine them picking up many new viewers at this point.  Campaigns like this aren't going to help.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
As a big time fan of the WNBA I must say their marketing sucks.  It has since the league started.  I think these comercials are a good idea but executed poorly.  Roy is right, what they needed to do was to put exciting highlights in between each statement basically shooting it down.  

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
wnba action....it fantastic!

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
My favorite is probably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQOZRxozdFc

I mean, any commercial leading off "Women's basketball is a joke" has to grab the attention, right?

And of course there's the "Your rec league would smoke my WNBA team" commercial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1JHpNGZpkJI

Classic stuff.  I guess what the ad does is it gets people talking about the WNBA; every message board I'm on has a topic about it.  However, it's being universally mocked, so I'm not sure it's the best strategy.  If they're going to try to sell the product as something other than boring and weak, they need to mix the comments in with some counter-highlights, instead of saving those until the end (and showing relatively unimpressive plays at that.)

No offense to girls playing basketball or the WNBA but a good high school boys team would smoke the champion of their league.  I respect them and I'm glad that they have their own league where they can make money off of their talent but it really is boring to watch. 

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The funniest part to me is that the ads ask, "Would you [say that]?"

Of course I would say the WNBA is trash! I mean, who hasn't said that?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
She's right - my rec league team would dominate her.

Yawn...

Edit: posted this before I saw Darth Maul's post - TP for you, but it's never too late to turn to the light.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

No offense to girls playing basketball or the WNBA but a good high school boys team would smoke the champion of their league.  I respect them and I'm glad that they have their own league where they can make money off of their talent but it really is boring to watch. 

I disagree...and I don't like the product, but they are far more talented than a hs boy's team, even one of the better ones in the state/country imo - they do play defense, they rebound, there is some size, many of them can shoot, I don't know if you've ever played with a really good girl, but a lot of them can keep up with the guys, and these women are the best in the world - I say they take a boy's bball team
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I dunno... I kinda have a lot of respect for them for accepting failure.  That shows heart.  I'm going to purchase my Seattle Storm season tickets straight away...

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline jamesk855

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm not gonna lie, I agreed with everything they said, including the "would you say that part." I'm glad the WNBA and I are on the same page!

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The funniest part to me is that the ads ask, "Would you [say that]?"

Of course I would say the WNBA is trash! I mean, who hasn't said that?

Not to mention all the viewers who would say "Wait - there's a WNBA??

But yeah, I don't understand why the WNBA keeps going for the "faint praise/backhanded compliments" angle - wow, the top women's teams in maybe the world could beat my YMCA team?  Impressive! 

I remember a Nike ad when the WNBA first came out that featured 3 top women's players (Lisa Leslie, I think Sheryl Swoopes, and a point guard I've forgotten) going to a playground in NYC to play pickup with men.  The final line in the voiceover was something like "and this isn't a fairy tale, because they didn't win every game, but they won enough...to get respect".  All I could think was, wait, these are the 3 best women's players in the world, and they can't hold the court at a random playground (this wasn't Rucker Park or anything, mind you) in NYC?  That...doesn't really say much for the league.