Author Topic: How come glass backboards don't shatter anymore  (Read 9373 times)

How come glass backboards don't shatter anymore
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Kind of a random question, but I haven't seen anyone shatter a backboard in college or the pros in about 5 years. I think the last person I saw do it was Darvin Ham when he was in college. Do they make the backboards with a stronger glass now or what?

Re: How come glass backboards don't shatter anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i belive so yes, thier now shaq rated.

In all honesty i think i did hear that there much stronger now to accomadate stronger and ehavier players, but i cant remeber where.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think a lot of it is the loosening of the suspension, every part of it is made to bend and not break now. The glass has to be more reinforced now though, the brackets on the rim would still have a snapping point.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
chemistry + research = glass that is more malleable and less brittle. also, more reinforcement and more flexible joints that "give" under stress.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Darrell Dawkins retired.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Darrell Dawkins retired.

That's a good one...TP
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
It's either the NBA made the backboards stronger or shattering the backboard will result into a suspension.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I used to think breaking backboards was so cool, now I am a little older and realize it just delays the game forever while they replace it.

This is so staged, and could have ended pretty badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQ19XoF-fQ&feature=related

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
do it

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
The first shattered backboard in pro basketball was destroyed in the Boston Celtics' debut game in 1946, at Boston Arena (now Matthews Arena). It was smashed by Kevin Connors of the Celtics.

Kevin later played first base for the Dodgers and Cubs, and became known as "Chuck" Connors. Even later, he played The Rifleman on TV.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
mj made it rain...!

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the technology, construction, and materials have all improved.  as have the suspension in the breakaway rims. 

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The first shattered backboard in pro basketball was destroyed in the Boston Celtics' debut game in 1946, at Boston Arena (now Matthews Arena). It was smashed by Kevin Connors of the Celtics.

Kevin later played first base for the Dodgers and Cubs, and became known as "Chuck" Connors. Even later, he played The Rifleman on TV.
Nice catch Section 87. Courtesy of Wikipedia...

Sports Career

During his Army service Connors moonlighted as a professional basketball player at night. Following his military discharge in 1946, he joined the newly formed Boston Celtics of the Basketball Association of America. Connors left the team for spring training with Major League Baseball's Brooklyn Dodgers. He played for numerous minor league teams before joining the Dodgers in 1949, for whom he played in just 1 game; and the Chicago Cubs in 1951, for whom he played in 66 games as a first baseman and occasional pinch hitter.[1] In 1952 he was sent to the minor leagues again, to play for the Cubs' top farm team, the Los Angeles Angels. Connors was also drafted by the Chicago Bears, but never suited-up for the team. Connors is one of only twelve athletes in history to have played for both Major League Baseball and in the NBA. He is credited with being the first professional basketball player to break a backboard. Connors jumped center and smashed the glass backboard in the first-ever Boston Celtics game on November 5, 1946 at Boston Arena[1]
Link

The first game! :D This largely forgotten fact should bring a smile to the face of all Celtics fans.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Darrell Dawkins retired.

That's a good one...TP
had to second it,LOL ;D