Author Topic: Where is Leon Powe?  (Read 10266 times)

Re: Where is Leon Powe?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Leon powe works hard but that doesn't necessarily mean he works efficiently all the time. He is improving in this area

Big baby only in his first year in my eyes is a more efficient player and picks up things on his own. He also works hard, just that he is 10-15 pounds overweight hampering his mobility a little

right now we need baby than powe

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
100000 fans 100000 coaches.

If he plays Davis; where is Powe?
If he plays Powe, where is Davis...

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline TheShowPowe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I like this post on Leonpowe.org. It's obviously a very biased site for Leon but its true what he says. Davis will make 20 bad plays for every good one. BB is foul prone and usually kills the flow of the offense with the exception of last game. Leon is the guy for now, lets not try and screw with things that are working. Davis made 3 lay ups last game, lets not put him in the Celtics hall of fame yet.

http://leonpowe.blogspot.com/2008/05/rondos-heroics-save-doc-and-celtics.html

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
He's had his chances and hasn't really earned his minutes in this series. In the playoffs you don't have a lot of time to wait for guys to get going, someone like Ray you will wait, Leon you wont.

what about sam cassell? how long do we wait for him to do something in the playoffs?

i seem to remember a lot of games this year where powe had about 1 rebound in 5 minutes and finished the game with 7 and 7 or so in 15 minutes. he needs more time. danny has given doc too many options, and doc knows that if he loses with cassell and pj on the floor the media will give him a pass, even though having powe and house on the floor is what got us here.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Why *has* Doc always seemed reluctant to play Powe?  Does anyone know?

I love Leon and Big Baby, but Big Baby is just bigger, to put it simply. And Z is HUGE. As tough and energetic as Leon is, he looks like a kid beside Z.
If PJ continues to play fairly well, that will probably eat into Leon's time too.
Lastly, it's obvious that Doc is very reluctant to play Leon. Look how long it took before Doc would even use him at all- almost a year and a half.
Personally, I'd find a way to get Leon 15-20 minutes/game. But whether it's Leon, Big Baby, or PJ shouldn't be a deciding factor if everyone else has decent games.
In defense of Doc, every player on the roster can actually play, so he's got lots of options and when he makes a strange move, sometimes it will work. Now,.... about Ray Allen ???

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
With all due respect, PER is the statistic that *measures* efficiency and Powe is way ahead of BBD.  In fact, he is way ahead of many NBA all stars. 

Given that the dominant statistic used to measure efficiency flatly contradicts what you said, why do you believe it?  Is there some other data you would point to?  If so, I would be interested to see it.  What's the story?

Leon powe works hard but that doesn't necessarily mean he works efficiently all the time. He is improving in this area

Big baby only in his first year in my eyes is a more efficient player and picks up things on his own. He also works hard, just that he is 10-15 pounds overweight hampering his mobility a little

right now we need baby than powe

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
One more piece of data on what happens if you give Powe more minutes.  In Game 3, the last time he had some real minutes, he had a +20 +/- rating.  That's incredible. 

EDIT: Big Baby was only plus 2 in Game 5, his big night.  And he has a higher fouling rate than Powe.

All of the longitudinal data for the season suggests Powe is more efficient and brings more of a lift to the team than any other "big" off the bench.

Why is Doc always reluctant to give him time?

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Correct me if i'm wrong but that PER stat has to do mainly with offensive productions. Powe is not helping us out on defense right now.

We haven't seen really powe play in the 4rth because you just cannot do a pick and roll and hope to dunk on people and even hope greater to get a foul call if it does not go in.

Big baby might not be in that PER category but his intagibles do stand out on offense and defense stand out

I like both players and i think the best way to play them is powe before the half and bring in big baby after the half when things are a little bit more crucial

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
Do you have any data you would use to make that argument?  Powe takes more charges than Big Baby and picks up fewer fouls per minutes. 

It is Game 6 right now.  3 fouls on Perkins and 3 fouls on Davis and Powe has NOT EVEN PLAYED.

What did Powe do to get in Doc's doghouse?

Correct me if i'm wrong but that PER stat has to do mainly with offensive productions. Powe is not helping us out on defense right now.

We haven't seen really powe play in the 4rth because you just cannot do a pick and roll and hope to dunk on people and even hope greater to get a foul call if it does not go in.

Big baby might not be in that PER category but his intagibles do stand out on offense and defense stand out

I like both players and i think the best way to play them is powe before the half and bring in big baby after the half when things are a little bit more crucial

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Do you have any data you would use to make that argument?  Powe takes more charges than Big Baby and picks up fewer fouls per minutes. 

It is Game 6 right now.  3 fouls on Perkins and 3 fouls on Davis and Powe has NOT EVEN PLAYED.

I think Rivers is making a mistake not using Powe.  Tonight, Powe didn't even get off the bench. After next year, it's time for Powe to move on because Rivers really doesn't respect Powe's abilities.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd have liked to have seen Powe get in there late when Big Baby was struggling to finish and Perk was in foul trouble.
Yup

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I think Rivers is making a mistake not using Powe.  Tonight, Powe didn't even get off the bench. After next year, it's time for Powe to move on because Rivers really doesn't respect Powe's abilities.

I would prefer Doc move on sted of Powe.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
game six just ended and i listened to docs post game.  he mentioned two things that really urked me.  first he was talking about getting outrebounded. secondly, not finishing.

these are two of leons strong points.  he is IMO the best rebounder on the team, on both ends. not to mention he finishes around the basket and is able to draw fouls.  

Why did he not even step foot on the court??? i just dont get it!

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
fat baby can't get his huge arse off the ground...leon can FINISH.

hello!!!!!!!!  we scored 69 points tonight...we need someone who can put that thing called a ball into that thing called a basketball hoop.  leon can do this.

i have no idea what is going on between doc's ears...leon powe should NOT be sitting.  very frustrating to see how inconsistent doc is.

sometimes i can barely stomach doc's decisions...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
It is absurd that Powe did not play at all tonight.  You think an energy guy who can finish around the basket and take charges would have helped late in the second quarter or in the second half???