Author Topic: Experience is overrated  (Read 1571 times)

Experience is overrated
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:01:32 AM »

Offline Badfish35

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
After seeing the San Antonio Spurs get crushed by the young, upstart Hornets - I have to wonder, is playoff experience really more important that athleticism, youthful confidence, swagger, and above all ... talent??

Case in point - Sam Cassell.  If I never saw a playoff a game before, I would think he was he least experienced under pressure after watching this series.

I feel like if you get Cassell going in a playoff game his stat line will read something like; 22 minutes, 5-11, 13 points, 2 reb, 3 assists.... I also wonder is Rondo played a great game it seems like there is a much higher upside (better shooting percentage, more assists)... I just don't know why Doc continues to go with Cassell late in these games.  While watching a relatively new member of this Celtics team play horrible basketball, and watching our young point guard get chastised by our coach for taking a "hero shot" (a three point heave, which by the way was taken with 1 second left on the shot clock) while Cassell seems like he can run his own iso plays and shoot whatever he feels like.....

In the meantime, a HUGE reason why we even have homecourt advantage, Eddie House, is rotting away on the bench.  What exactly has Eddie House done wrong?  Why hasn't Doc given him any opportunity to get his rhythm going?  Is Cassell really a better option?

I look at the young Hawks - who brought the Celtics to the brink, and I think of their weakness in that series, the experienced Mike Bibby.  Now its guys like Delonte West and Boobie Gibson, who at times looks like he has ice water running through veins, and then I watch the New Orleans Hornets beat up the defending champs with a second year point guard who is playing his first year in the playoffs.

And I watch a young David West play a game we are expecting to get from Garnett or Pierce....  and is yet to happen so far this postseason.  So much for "experience"....

Re: Experience is overrated
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:35:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, that works both ways. How's the experiance thing working out for detroit? the lakers, who have a wealth of it in thier star player? Heck even the cavs.

I think the hornets do have something that trumps the spurs experiance, but its not a experiance vs no experiance type of thing....

His name's chris paul, and thats the diffrence.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion