Author Topic: Why Is This Team So Different Now?  (Read 3677 times)

Why Is This Team So Different Now?
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »

Offline Rocco Graziosa

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have been thinking about this all day long.  I've tried as best I could to step back and think of the big picture and why on earth this team seems so different than the road warriors that won 66 regular season games.  This is what I've come up with. In no particular order:

They didn't play enough pressure packed games in the regular season, and really faced no adversity.  They had, by far, the largest margin of victory of any team in the NBA.  Most games were blowouts, usually by the third quarter.  They're simply not battle tested in this regard.  Had they been a team thats been together for years, this would be beneficial, but they are an extremely rare entity in that they became championship contenders the first time they ever stepped on the court together.  It also didn't help that they spent the last four weeks of the regular season not only in cruise control, but used a completely disrupted rotation in an effort to keep their stars healthy and rested.  They basically entered the postseason flat as a board.  So now the postseason comes and they don't have a whole lot to draw upon as experience with adversity.  I for one thought things like the West coast sweep would do them well in this regard but it obviously has not.

A void of an alpha male presence among the teams stars.
   This has been evident at the end of the road games they've managed to stay competitive.  It appears no one wants to grab the game by the horns and steer the club to victory.  This is strange because Pierce has this ability on his resume which he's displayed in past postseasons, although not much of late.  The closest guy they have is Sam Casell, but he's so old and erratic that they end up getting burned when they turn to him in on the road.  Having a second year starting point guard isn't helping much either.  A whole heap of the blame here goes to Garnett, who simply can't or won't carry the team on his back come crunch time.

A false bravado, and frontrunner attitude   The trash talking, which the regular season club took to an unprecedented level, is simply counterproductive on the road.  You saw it in Atlanta where the C's bench would spend the first 6 minutes of each game taunting the crowd.  At home it works great, where everything goes your way.  This team wooping it up, in a rout of the toothless Hawks in a game seven they never should have even had to play, was a sign that things were askew.  Now you see games like last night, where the team seems demoralized, hands in their heads, in a three point game in the fourth quarter.  They're missing their trash talking bravado (which don't play down 3 on the road) and they're feeling lost without that
"energy".  They would have been better served toning the entire act in the regular season, but thats nothing I saw as a problem back then.

Eddie House, Sam Cassell and rotations   The team they're trotting out now is simply different than the one that ran roughshod over the entire league.  Say what you want about Eddie House, but he in essence played half the games at the point for this team.  He brought a certain energy with strengths and weaknesses that meshed with the other players in a certain way.  I'm sure they could have meshed this way with Cassell, but they really didn't have the time.  He played sporadically down the stretch  (for reasons which I've never quite understood) and then was asked to play a MAJOR role in the playoffs.  The results have been hit and miss at home and a disaster on the road.  PJ Brown (who has played well) has also taken a much larger role in the playoffs than the regular season, but his role is so small I doubt it can have a game changing effect.  But even the slightest change in minutes  can have a trickle down effect on how an entire team behaves.

The coach and UNBUNTU   He's opened my eyes thats for sure.  He seems to be choking.  He makes substitution decisions a step too late, he has poor body language and self control on the bench, and he doesn't appear to be fostering an atmosphere thats conducive to winning road games in the playoffs.  I'm also starting to question his UNBUNTU approach and how well it works in the tournament.  His approach is trust, share, trust and share.  Well the team seems to be trusting that the other guy is gonna make the big play and very willing to share the ball with them when things get tight. If the 2002 club was playing last night Pierce would have went 12-26, Walker would have went 10-23 and they would have won by 2.  Instead Pierce gets 26 shots in two road games, Rondo shoots the ball 24 times, Cassell (the one guy willing to take these shots) goes 0-11 and you lose both games.  Completely unselfish team basketball doesn't get it done on the offensive end on the road in the playoffs.

So there you have it.  Thats why I think this team is playing completely different than the regular season.  Some of this can be fixed or fought through, but most of it probably cannot.  To be honest I hope I'm wrong about all of this.  I hope these are knee jerk reactions after the team has lost 5 game son the road.  But its not so much as the losses, as the manner of which they have lost.  Its a disturbing trend that eventually is gonna get them burned when they're forced to win a road game to survive in the tournament.   I hope that day isn't this Friday because I don't think they're ready yet.

Re: Why Is This Team So Different Now?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
That's a pretty in depth break down, some I agree with and some I don't, but to each his/her own opinion.

What I believe is something more simple.

We did not stick to the same gameplan that has taken us this far.....

I look at the Pistons and they just stick to what they are doing and have now gone to 6 straight ECF appearances.

We had an identity in the regular season and then come playoff time we changed....we changed our rotations and our gameplan for some ungodly known reason.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
nice break down..i thank u for your efforts.....now compare this team to last seasons....have we done the impossible.?..break that down sir...

potholes in my lawn..

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Good points Rocco. I think we're all trying to figure it out.

The major difference in the team is Cassell and PJ. That's just a fact- whether it's the main reason they're not playing well is debatable. I agree with many out here that it was foolish, or at least very risky, for Doc to go away from the rotations that got the team here and change everything just when the playoffs started. Still seems crazy to me, even if Sam gets hot and helps win some games- and he is certainly capable of it.
Anyway, I'm just a dumb fan enjoying the rollercoaster and hoping it leads to #17

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »

Offline Siggy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
That is probably the best analysis I've read so far. We've all embraced KG's intensity and the changes it has brought to the team, but there has always been a feeling that maybe it is a little over the top. Trash talking? Great. But you got to back it up. I don't need a guy screaming 'MFer' every time he throws down a dunk in a blowout, I need a guy who wants the ball and knows what to do with it, down 4 in the fourth quarter on enemy elm with maybe the season on the line.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
That is probably the best analysis I've read so far. We've all embraced KG's intensity and the changes it has brought to the team, but there has always been a feeling that maybe it is a little over the top. Trash talking? Great. But you got to back it up. I don't need a guy screaming 'MFer' every time he throws down a dunk in a blowout, I need a guy who wants the ball and knows what to do with it, down 4 in the fourth quarter on enemy elm with maybe the season on the line.
I will totally agree with this
isnt this as much blamable on the coach as on the players??
I mean I remember my highschool coach, "stop talking and start playing...."

They all better shut up and start winning now
home and on the road
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
because ray allen suddenly sucks...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
because ray allen suddenly sucks...

while its sure fun these last 2 games to lay it at ray's feet, its more the fact that KG has yet to show up at an away game, this guy who looks like him does.

Also, our young PG looks completly out of place on the road

Pierce is struggling

sam cassell is terrable on the road

Leon is bad on the road.

and doc is doing nothing tangible to fix it other than saying "play better"

if were going to start throwing people under the bus, be fair about it.

I for one will root like hell tommrow night, and hope the boys get thier groove back.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
well, i didn't want to be accused of being THAT negative and critical... :D
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The Celtics for most of the season won a lot of their games as a jump shooting, KG in the post team, by the nature of the playoffs, this can't continue. They still need KG in the post, but other guys need to slash, attack the basket, and get to the line. The defense has remained the same, but the intensity on offense has been missing on the road.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
We don't have anyone with a killer instinct like Kobe, Jordan, Bird, Isaiah, or Magic had.....

I can honestly say we are a mirror image of the Mavericks with no one on the team with that " I'll carry the team when we need a win " attitude

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

Offline DrD

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
We don't have anyone with a killer instinct like Kobe, Jordan, Bird, Isaiah, or Magic had.....

I can honestly say we are a mirror image of the Mavericks with no one on the team with that " I'll carry the team when we need a win " attitude

I wish I didn't agree with this but I do. And, I'll raise you one. Their coach is even mirroring Avery Johnson last year when the Warriors beat them. Why? Because Avery went away from what got them there all season long and changed things up in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
We simply do not put the ball in our best or better players hands when the game is on the line enough.

The ball is "sticking" to the wrong players....you got Cassell, Rondo, Perkins, Big Baby, Brown taking shots that probably they don't need to take at the time.

KG needs the ball more and so does Pierce and Allen....and I mean early and often.