Author Topic: Can Zeke Rescue Ray Allen?  (Read 6132 times)

Can Zeke Rescue Ray Allen?
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:51:34 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
You old time Celtics fans must save a small place in your heart for Isiah Thomas. At least one time during the 1989 playoffs, you must have muttered to yourself "Thank God for Zeke."

After all he was primarily responsible for dethroning the Lakers that year, along with Dennis Rodman's uncanny ability to grab loose balls and snare rebounds from anywhere on the court.

One of my vivid memories of those Pistons teams was Zeke breaking open the smelling salts when he needed a little extra boost, and then proceeding to go on an absolute tear. He wasn't a top 50 player after the smelling salts, he was the top fifty.

Runners fading left.

Runners fading right.

One-handed moon balls straight up over seven footers, higher than even the Chief dared to hoist them.

Which got me to thinking.

I wonder if Zeke has any of those smelling salts left?

Cuz if he does, I can sure think of at least one Celtic that might want to borrow a couple...

Re: Can Zeke Rescue Ray Allen?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Unfortunately, Isiah was a much better player than Ray is now, and that's no knock against Ray, Isiah was great. Somethings got to wake him up, you'd think it would be Wally outplaying him, but apparently not.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:40:56 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
since we're taking a trip back memory lane...

ray allen reminds me of when the celtics picked up otis birdsong...not the good version, but the old, washed up one.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Sorry to make a baseball comparison, but Ray Allen/Doc Rivers reminds me of Coco Crisp/Terry Francona in last years playoffs. The Sox had to be on the brink of elimination before Francona realized that the "established veteran" was killing them.
Not to put it all on Ray, no one has really shined- though KG has been fine.
Must admit, I thought this thread was going to be about shipping Ray to the Knicks, but I wouldn't wish that on him.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I don't think Zeke can save a drowning 12 year old from a 2 inch puddle
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I wonder if Ray's ankles are all screwed up again?

I guess we'll find out if he goes under the knife again in June.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Ray is not hitting shots. Ray is to be commended for at least trying to take the ball to the basket a few times when his jumpshot isnt falling. His defensive performance is magnified because he is swarming to the ball like he is supposed to, but unable to get back to his man. Whether due to bad ankles/knees or just not enough gas, he is not getting back. A little help from TA wouldnt go amiss IMO, especially in the second quarter so Ray can head to the locker room for treatment if that is what he needs.

I dont think we want Ray snorting anything obtained from Zeke. Too big of a risk potential. We need to use Ray like the Cavs are using Wally. Wprld cant get over to cover Ray if he is open either. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Ray will be fine. This entire board is having hot flashes about #20, but he was the reason for all the "ubuntu" during the regular season--who else in the NBA would go from being "the man" to the tune of 26.4 a game with 21 shots to 17.4 with 13.5 without saying a word all year? Which guy is most responsible for Rondo's development as a player and a professional (it ain't Cassell).

It's pretty obvious that Doc doesn't know how to use him--everybody in the arena and watching on TV knows when there's going to be a token "Ray" play, and it's obvious to me that Pierce simply can't handle being the third option (even though he probably should be, at least during this series) in Boston. Watch some of the games during the regular season when Ray was going off--there were a number of occasions when Pierce would jack up a shot or two so everybody knew who wore the "C." He can handle KG being the alpha dog in the paint--to some extent, the 'Toine years prepped him for that. But I don't think he'll let another wing player be the man for longer than a short stretch--which one of the three took all those shots in the 4th last night? Definitely not the one who was hot in the 3rd, or the MVP...

And any spot-up shooter--Wally, Jim Jackson, House, whoever--is gonna get open looks playing with LeBron. The scapegoating has to stop!

P.S. Celtics in 6.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
Ray will be fine. This entire board is having hot flashes about #20, but he was the reason for all the "ubuntu" during the regular season...

uh, that was 7 months ago...he's put a lot of mileage on those tires this season and he is NOT the same player he was even a year or two ago...it might make us feel better to say "ray will be okay" but he's not right now, and he may never be anything more than an average basketball player for the rest of his career.

ubuntu doesn't wear a jersey...but if it knows how to make a basket please sign this thing up immediately.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Ray will be fine. This entire board is having hot flashes about #20, but he was the reason for all the "ubuntu" during the regular season...

uh, that was 7 months ago...he's put a lot of mileage on those tires this season and he is NOT the same player he was even a year or two ago...it might make us feel better to say "ray will be okay" but he's not right now, and he may never be anything more than an average basketball player for the rest of his career.

ubuntu doesn't wear a jersey...but if it knows how to make a basket please sign this thing up immediately.

yup... Doc just played him too much. ( no sarcasm involved )
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
he's been overplayed and underutilized all season long...

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm one of those "old-time" Celtic fans, and most of us have no warm place in our hearts for Zeke. In fact, there are few players today, (or yesterday), who I hate more than the self-righteous, arrogant, vindictive Isaiah Thomas. The Pistons were as much of an enemy as the Lakers in the 80's, and far more dirty.

What few good memories I had of Zeke were flushed for good when he coached the All-Star game a few years ago, and completely ignored Pierce and Walker, playing them for like seven minutes total, and making a point of disregarding their contributions because of his hatred for Boston.

Sorry, but I have NO fondness for Isaiah today OR from years past. With the current problems he has as a result of his selfishness, a more appropriate question would be: can anyone rescue Zeke?!? , (not the other way around). 
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:30 PM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Isn't it funny that Doc seems to play Ray the most minutes of our Big Three, despite his injury issues, BUT he seems to go AWAY from him when he FINALLY gets hot like in yesterday's game 4:-(((((

This is really NOT funny at all, but VERY frustrating.  Doc seems to NEVER stick with the hot player, NEVER!!

As I have always said, we will NOT win a title with Doc at the helm, period.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
i lost all respect when he started kissing tragic johnson...

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 12:34:45 AM »

Offline DrD

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
I wonder if Ray's ankles are all screwed up again?

I guess we'll find out if he goes under the knife again in June.

If his ankles are indeed bothering him, then he and his coach are to blame for playing him the minutes he is playing and not subbing for him.