Poll

Series result in your estimation

Celts in 6
Celts in 7
Cavs in 6
Cavs in 7

Author Topic: Let's Cut to the Chase: Where Do You Stand?  (Read 6439 times)

Let's Cut to the Chase: Where Do You Stand?
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So much talk here today about how the Celts have blown this series (even though it's not close to being over).  Do you really believe it's over?  Have you lost all faith in this team?  Has the reciprocal home/road performances made you nuts to the point you think they have no chance?  Can they win 4 home games if necessary?  Can they lose Game 5 at home then break the streak and win on the road finally?

Where do you stand?

I said Celts in 5 before the series, but I'll amend it to Celts in 6.  And if they lose one more I'll say Celts in 7 ;) .  Call it blind faith.  Call it home court advantage.  Call it what you like, but I call it messin' with the kid...

Vegas still has faith too.  Celts are 5/9 favorites to win the East, and 7/4 favorites to win it all (Lakers are slight favorites at 8/5 for what it's worth)

Yup

Re: Let's Cut to the Chase: Where Do You Stand?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I say Celtics in 7.

But that makes me real nervous.  Never want to go to a game 7 against a player like Lebron.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Celts in 6 (hopefully) or 7 (more realistically).  I still think they'll win the series.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Celtics in 6.

As tough as it is, I think you have to look at these series' as separate, independent events.  If the Celtic's played like they did last night in Atlanta, they probably win fairly easily.  Home teams are 15-1 thus far in the 2nd round.  The only reason there is so much panic is because the Cs struggled in Atlanta, and that is definitely fair, but in my mind the 2nd round is a different beast. 

They win game 5 and then realize game 6 is there for the kill.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
if the defense stays like it is, and someone gets hot celtics in 6. If the defense stays hot but no one on offense steps up, celtics in 7.

The series is thier, we just need to take it. the cavs, to be hoenst, have really only outplayed us in one game, thats what makes this so fustrating.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think the C's will hold their home court, and win in 7.

The worrying is more about what will happen if/when the Pistons or Lakers take a game in the Garden, forcing the C's to win on the road against competition stronger than ATL/CLE.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
whoever wins the next game wins the series. that's where i stand. i don't have the bottle to say we'll win it because i just don't know.

but i hope the players we have who desperately want a ring wont allow us to lose like this.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
In the Atlanta series we had a playoff monkey on our backs.

By the start of game four we had a playoff Gorilla on our backs.

That Gorilla is now King Kong.

I'd love to see a fiary tale ending to this unnecessary debacle ( much the same of what I thought about the Atlanta series, not that we're losing but why and how...) and say the Celts win game five and kill King Kong in game six.

However, I think there is an outside chance we've given LeBron too much leash and they nip us in game five, series over.

In the end, I say ultimately we win game five, lose game six and win a sqeaker in game 7.

But like wdleehi said, I'd be very uncomforable to paly Lebron in a G7.

WHICH IS WHY WE SHOULD HAVE MADE GAME THREE A GAME 7 ATMOSPHERE AND STOPMED THEM, HAD A FIST FIGHT. INSTEAD OF SHOWING UP AND GETTING ROLLED BY 24! GREAT TEAMS KICK THEIR OPPONENT WHEN THEY'RE DOWN...

Ok, I'm calm again.

:)  

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I say we will win this series.  How many games it will take?  I don't know.  But I am sure we are not losing home court advantage. That beaing said, you know this is the problem with bandwagoners: as easy as they hop on they hop off.

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
Honestly,

I watched every game last year.  I shouldn't have to say anymore to express the fact that I am not a fair weather fan.

I am a Celtics fan no matter what.

I have never been so close to turning off the TV as I have been during the last 4 games. 

I am a college Basketball coach by profession.  Many times I give Doc the benefit of the doubt because you really never know what is going on behind the scenes that the media doesn't even know about.

But I can no longer come up with any reason for a team that won 66 games during the regular season to go from a constant 10 man rotation all year.  to 7 or 8 max.

Where is Tony Allen?
Where is Eddie House?

Where is the second unit line-up?

Eddie House, TA, Ray Allen, Posey, Powe

That unit we saw demoralize teams in the regular season. 
Pick up the starters when they were down
establish and build leads.

Where is the team that went on the road thinking "there is no way this team is going to beat us?"

Don't give me the play-off / regular season drama. 

I don't care, you know as well as I know every team in the NBA played the Celtics in the regular season like it was the NBA finals.

The Celtics won, despite

bad officiating, hard fouls, and scoring runs by other teams. Absolutely nothing phased them.

This is poor rotations.  Doc doesn't need to coach in order for this team to win.

He just needs to put the right players on the floor at the right time and he has shown me and I'd assume you as well, that he can't do that.

Drive to work every day, take the same road, get there the same time.  One day theres a detour, your late, you can't stop for your coffee, your parking space is taken and your angry.

Flips your whole world upside down. Well Doc is the teams
detour right now, and there is just no way around him.

all that being said.  I think we win this series in 6 because Wally will start missing.

But if a change doesn't occur, no way we beat Detroit.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I gotta say C's in 7.  I previously said 5.

As for our road woes, apparently it is at epidemic proportions seeing that there has only been 1 road win in the entire league in the second round.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i am sticking with my initial prediction b4 the series started, celts in 6.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Celtics in 6, obviously I think they win at home, and I am going to continue to believe that the next road game will be the one when the Celts wake up and put it together on the road.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Honestly,

I watched every game last year.  I shouldn't have to say anymore to express the fact that I am not a fair weather fan.

I am a Celtics fan no matter what.

I have never been so close to turning off the TV as I have been during the last 4 games. 

I am a college Basketball coach by profession.  Many times I give Doc the benefit of the doubt because you really never know what is going on behind the scenes that the media doesn't even know about.

But I can no longer come up with any reason for a team that won 66 games during the regular season to go from a constant 10 man rotation all year.  to 7 or 8 max.

Where is Tony Allen?
Where is Eddie House?

Where is the second unit line-up?

Eddie House, TA, Ray Allen, Posey, Powe

That unit we saw demoralize teams in the regular season. 
Pick up the starters when they were down
establish and build leads.

Where is the team that went on the road thinking "there is no way this team is going to beat us?"

Don't give me the play-off / regular season drama. 

I don't care, you know as well as I know every team in the NBA played the Celtics in the regular season like it was the NBA finals.

The Celtics won, despite

bad officiating, hard fouls, and scoring runs by other teams. Absolutely nothing phased them.

This is poor rotations.  Doc doesn't need to coach in order for this team to win.

He just needs to put the right players on the floor at the right time and he has shown me and I'd assume you as well, that he can't do that.

Drive to work every day, take the same road, get there the same time.  One day theres a detour, your late, you can't stop for your coffee, your parking space is taken and your angry.

Flips your whole world upside down. Well Doc is the teams
detour right now, and there is just no way around him.

all that being said.  I think we win this series in 6 because Wally will start missing.

But if a change doesn't occur, no way we beat Detroit.

send this post to Danny, maybe he'll hire you...I'm actually surprised you are a celts fan, as most college coaches don't really pay attention to the NBA (at least from what I know of them), the pros are certainly not a place to get ideas for what to do with a college team, its completely different - but anyways, yeah that's interesting, I'm glad you lent your expertise, I'm joking about hoping Danny hires you (not in a mean way though, just I like Doc better than you, I hardly know you that's all), in case you didn't catch that, umm yeah, how bout those sox?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
oh I forgot to add my prediction, celts in 7.1 (add an overtime to make it extra special) - I can't imagine losing at home, I'm having trouble imagining winning on the road (that's the trend pretty much across the board - my neighbor has a fun conspiracy theory that the league is making all these games go to 7's for TV rights, its awesome when you have refs who are afraid to act autonomously!) - regardless, Celts win a tighter one at home, lose a tight one on the road, then we go to OT to finish the series - Ray hits the game winner....
When you love life, life loves you right back