Author Topic: Tony Allen Time  (Read 3414 times)

Tony Allen Time
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline billc15

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Time to start playing Tony Allen. Pierce looks a step slow this playoffs for some reason, maybe it was the hard fould against the Hawks. We need more slashing to the hole and that is what Tony does.
He needs to play major minutes, we cannot settle for jump shots anymore on the road.

Re: Tony Allen Time
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yes, because what we need in the playoffs is a guy who couldn't finsh all year and turns the ball over faster than any gaurd in the association. That will fix the problem.

The tony from 2 years ago before the dumb injury would have had a leg to stand on (pardon the pun) this years tony has been terrable on the offensive end.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
not such a bad idea, to a degree. crownsy is right in that tony can look horrible at times. but he also has his moments where he really sparks our team. i'm in favor of giving him 5 minutes in the first half to see what he brings. if he makes a couple stupid plays, take him out. but if he's on, he could be a huge spark for us.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

Offline billc15

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
He is the heir apparent to Pierce and it is time now with Pierce injured.
Tony is freakishly athletic and can always slash and get off his own shot.
Play him with Rondo. TA struggles when he is asked to play point.
Play him at the 2.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline ilovebasketball

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I actually agree.  I think Tony Allen should come in for Ray Allen, however, assuming Ray doesn't come lights out in Game 5.  Think about it, what we've been lacking is the ability to disrupt the defense with penetration.  I still trust Ray, but it just seems logical to attack Wally when he's on defense.  We all know Tony is prone to his share of mistakes, especially with the ball in his hands, but assuming they have Tony in with Pierce, there's nobody quick enough to keep Tony Allen from getting into the lane.  And I for one will pray that he makes a smart decision when he gets into the lane.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me if Doc is willing to give Big Baby a shot in the 4th quarter last night, then Tony deserves a shot for all the reasons I have described.  Theoretically Tony should be able to lock up Wally better than Ray Allen.

-Another frustrated fan (on the road)

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It is not Tony Allen time. His turnover tendency will be worse against the Cavs' defense. And when he drives, he is not going to do much against Ben Wallace, Z, etc.

And I don't want to see him jacking up jumpers. Pierce/Posey are doing fine overall against Lebron. The team defense is solid. They just need to execute better on offense.

Maybe Rondo and Perkins shouldn't be on the floor together as often. The broken play opportunities stop when the ball gets to them, and they can't make a play in the half court.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
He is the heir apparent to Pierce and it is time now with Pierce injured.
Tony is freakishly athletic and can always slash and get off his own shot.
Play him with Rondo. TA struggles when he is asked to play point.
Play him at the 2.

no he isn't. mabey he was at one time, but with to bad knee injurys and no inclination tha his basketball IQ will be improving anytime soon, nver mind the fact that you know, one of his weaknesses as a gaurd is dribbling (thats so so amazing to me...) he'll be gone enxt season or a bench player while he's here.

That door closed for tony on the second injury combined with 2 years of regressing from a basketball IQ standpoint.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Some time early in the season I had a very hopeful post about a vision I'd had with the Celtics winning the championship. It was some time in the future and I was looking back to this year sentimentally and remembering how Tony Allen was that special player who made the difference.  Not a star  player, but a guy who just did a little bit of just what you needed, whenever you needed it. 

It would be great if Tony could be that guy, but he's done zippo to instill confidence that he can do that on a consistent basis.

Right now I'd say Posey has pretty much has filled that role, but he lacks Tony's athleticism.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why? Why? Why?

Why is it that we suddenly need a guy that has trouble dribbling, jumps at every head upfake, will at times just lose the handle on his dribble without any pressure on him, can't jump anymore, can't shoot, and may be the worse passer on the team?

Tony's time in a Celtic uniform has come and gone. He should only be used to finish out the last seconds of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters or as a victory cigar during blowouts. Nothing more.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
First off, I'll admit to being a Tony fan. I still think he can go somewhere. That being said, the people here completely overstate how bad he is on offense. He makes good decisions when he drives, I'd say that 90% of his turnovers come when he is taking the ball down the court. Seriously, go check. He dribbles the ball down the court, then beats his man and runs into traffic and turn it over. When he's playing on the wing and is given the ball he's much better at passing the ball and controlling his dribble. He is a very good passer once he gets into the lane, and he has dished the ball off for a number of assists to Perk, KG, Powe, etc.

I think with him in the game we can get some quick blocking fouls on Wally and some shooting fouls on Lebron, Big Ben, Big Z, etc. As he's much less scared at getting blocked, and at this stage is a much better finisher than Rondo (who has really regressed in the playoffs in regards to finishing. He needs to talk to PP about that).

I love how this board jumps on every mistake a player ever makes. Oh wow, he jumped at Chauncey, remember Manu Ginobli?

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'd rather make it to the Eastern Conference Finals than start playing Tony Allen, I can only imagine how bad he would be playing in these games. The Celtics are turning the ball over enough as it is.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see Tony Allen play (his slashing, his ability to get to the rim) but I'm not sure how they can get him on the court in this series. I'm not willing to sacrifice any of Ray's minutes or Paul's minutes. I don't want TA handling the point guard duties. That means Posey has to play some time at power forward and considering the job he's doing on LeBron, I don't want that either.

This team could seriously use his penetration but I'm not willing to sacrifice anyone so he sits. I would have been happy enough with Posey playing PF against Atlanta, I doubt that'll be true for the rest of the playoffs so likely no Tony Allen backing from me. TA needs to stay sitting.

Random thought on Tony .... I've liked the way Tony has cheerleaded on the bench. On a number of occassions he's been the first guy off the bench at timeouts to get up and give his teammates a high five or pat on the back. Good to see.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
nice to see, because eddie has turned into that guy that pouts on the end of the bench.

I mean, i understand he's ticked, but all that team unity went out the window.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Why? Why? Why?

Why is it that we suddenly need a guy that has trouble dribbling, jumps at every head upfake, will at times just lose the handle on his dribble without any pressure on him, can't jump anymore, can't shoot, and may be the worse passer on the team?

Tony's time in a Celtic uniform has come and gone. He should only be used to finish out the last seconds of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters or as a victory cigar during blowouts. Nothing more.

Amen.

If you want Tony Allen to play, just hand the Cavs the series in six.

He's not an answer to ANYTHING that ails this team, and he should be discarded in the off-season.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."