Author Topic: What Our Team Needs: Us!  (Read 4442 times)

What Our Team Needs: Us!
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
What we need is for our team to play with the same intensity, spirit, and drive that they have all year ... and I have faith that they WILL. No magic bullets, no new players, no coaching change, no new ANYTHING ... just remember what got us here and go back to those fundamentals of defense, attacking the paint, passing the ball, and playing as a solid, cohesive UNIT ... period.

All the negative crap here today is really getting to me, and it's obvious there are many "fair-weather" fans here who don't remember much of the last ten years, and are unaware of just how lucky we are to be in the playoffs at ALL!! Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but we're still a playoff team, with homecourt advantage, and it's a tied series ... this is the best ride we've had in a LONG time, people.

These guys need their fans' support right now, good times AND bad, NOT disparagement, and that's what I for one, plan on giving them. That's the very least they deserve for giving us the best season we've had since 1986 ... and that's what being a "die-hard" Celtic fan is all about. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but this negative crap gets us NOWHERE!

Time to move on ... time to stop jeering and start cheering ... time to show these guys who are trying to do their best, that we're NOT like every other teams' fans, and DON'T turn on our boys when the chips are down. If this ship goes down, I'm going down with it ... supportive of my team, thankful for the amazing season they've given me, and proud to wear the green!

Go Celtics!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: What Our Team Needs: Us!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
What we need is for our team to play with the same intensity, spirit, and drive that they have all year ... and I have faith that they WILL. No magic bullets, no new players, no coaching change, no new ANYTHING ... just remember what got us here and go back to those fundamentals of defense, attacking the paint, passing the ball, and playing as a solid, cohesive UNIT ... period.

All the negative crap here today is really getting to me, and it's obvious there are many "fair-weather" fans here who don't remember much of the last ten years, and are unaware of just how lucky we are to be in the playoffs at ALL!! Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but we're still a playoff team, with homecourt advantage, and it's a tied series ... this is the best ride we've had in a LONG time, people.

These guys need their fans' support right now, good times AND bad, NOT disparagement, and that's what I for one, plan on giving them. That's the very least they deserve for giving us the best season we've had since 1986 ... and that's what being a "die-hard" Celtic fan is all about. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but this negative crap gets us NOWHERE!

Time to move on ... time to stop jeering and start cheering ... time to show these guys who are trying to do their best, that we're NOT like every other teams' fans, and DON'T turn on our boys when the chips are down. If this ship goes down, I'm going down with it ... supportive of my team, thankful for the amazing season they've given me, and proud to wear the green!

Go Celtics!!

I agree with a alot of what you're saying Bahku but I don't think its the "fair weather" fans that are the ones who are putting the team down today so much...well maybe they are but I think mostly it IS people who've see this team for the past 10 years and whos fragile little fan hearts have been broken too many times in that span. First thing my father said to me today (and he's the one who got me into the Celtics although I live on the border between NY and Canada):

"Hey, you see that game? Looks like they're done."

I'd like to say I gave him a measured and reasonable response as to why in fact "they're not done", but it probably came out a mish-mash of fast angry rebuttal. My pops can remember almost every single player to don a Celtics uniform from the past 20 years, and because of his intense fanship, he's been ready since about 1994 for the rug to be pulled out just before we achieve any success.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Very well said Bahku,as always,you post good positive thoughts for us to think over.tp for you! ;D

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Go Celtics!!

I agree with a alot of what you're saying Bahku but I don't think its the "fair weather" fans that are the ones who are putting the team down today so much...well maybe they are but I think mostly it IS people who've see this team for the past 10 years and whos fragile little fan hearts have been broken too many times in that span. First thing my father said to me today (and he's the one who got me into the Celtics although I live on the border between NY and Canada):

"Hey, you see that game? Looks like they're done."

I'd like to say I gave him a measured and reasonable response as to why in fact "they're not done", but it probably came out a mish-mash of fast angry rebuttal. My pops can remember almost every single player to don a Celtics uniform from the past 20 years, and because of his intense fanship, he's been ready since about 1994 for the rug to be pulled out just before we achieve any success.

Been watching and loving the C's for over 40 years, so I don't fall into that assessment. Guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder, but I've found most of the doubters at such down times, to be "fair weather" fans .... that's basically the definition. Whether you're young or old makes no difference, it's all in the heart, and how much faith you have in the team ... that's what shows your true color ... and for us that color is green!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When the ball gets tossed up in the air tomorrow the fans we'll be going nutty and be in full support mode.  Nothing else matters once the game starts and the fans will be ready.  The beauty of sports is that it's the moment that matters.  Records are made to broken. Trends mean nothing.  All that matters is what you do in the moment.  Being 0-5 on the road, or 6-0 at home means diddly squat.  Both teams start the game tied 0-0 on the scoreboard.  The fans will do their part tomorrow. 

I truly believe the C's will too.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I think you can be a true fan of your team and hard on them at the same time.  I'm always hard on the teams I root for.  I don't pat you on the back when you do wrong. I'm not going to sugar coat my emotion and say everything is going to be alright.  I can easly see the Cs winning tomorrow but I can also see the Cs lossing tomorrow.  Let's face it they almost lost game 1.

That's the problem with the team right now everyone is saying "were ok, we just need to do this and that"  I need someone to step-up and say "No were not ok and if you don't do this or that it's going to end up this way". 

See a real friend isn't going to tell you the things you want to hear. I true friend is going to keep it real with you.  I think the same should can be said about a true fan.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:20 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm giving you a tp Bahku and I am a Cavs fan.  That was great post and hopefully it is how all Celtic fans are thinking.

I see it here in Cleveland all the time.  The Cavs, were truly awful for a decade and all the sudden the fans felt entitled to playoff wins and series wins.  There's no appreciation as to where the team has come. 

A lot of it is just frustration and frustration is a good thing.  It shows that the fans care.  Celtic fans will be raring to go tomorrow night.  Give them a day to vent and then on to cheering on their team in game 5.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
When the ball gets tossed up in the air tomorrow the fans we'll be going nutty and be in full support mode.  Nothing else matters once the game starts and the fans will be ready.

Yeah, that's the sense I get, as well.  Despite a lackluster performance in Atlanta, the fans were ready for Game 7, and I suspect they'll be there for Game 5, as well.

As for what's said here on the blog, I agree that the majority opinion seems somewhat negative right now; I'm on board with that feeling myself.  However, I think each and every one of us here is a legit fan (this is aimed generally, rather than at Bahku's post).  I think the team is being criticized in part because it deserves criticism.  Pointing out those things and discussing them is what we do here (although I would also agree that much of that criticism goes over the top and is unfounded.)

So, to find some middle ground:  support the team like crazy if you're out in public or at the game.  Here on the blog, vent to your heart's content and get it all out of your system.  However, at least at some point in all that venting, try to remember that things this season have been pretty darn good, and no matter what happens in Game 5, the sun will come out tomorrow.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There's a really good quote from Chris Bosh at the end of this season, I can't find it so I'll paraphrase it "Whether it's a pat on the back or kick up the backside it doesn't matter, it's all love". He used the quote twice, the first was talking about Sam's coaching methods in trying to get through to his players and the second was Bargnani's development and how he helps it. Criticism is fine.

The vast majority of the fans on this site still love this team. The ones who don't are just momentarily bitter and will be back shortly.

Bakhu I agree with you completely about the fans needing to come out and support this team but I've seen these threads over and over and I've never understood the need for them. Does anyone seriously think the Boston faithful aren't going to be behind their team in game five? Does anyone seriously think 20,000 people are not going to show up or show up and be quiet? They'll be there and they'll be loud like always.

The players got to fix their end of it.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This team has us.

What the need to do is come out from under the rocks they seem to hide when on the road and win a game without the Boston faithful yelling and screaming at them from the stands.

As for the angry and negative post, as I said before, the fair weather fans don't care enough to get that worked up.  They just stop showing up on this site (and other Celtic areas).

Not that if you are not worked up makes you less of a fan.  You just have a different reaction. 

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I feel a lot better knowing there are many out there who have this in the right perspective, though most who have posted in this thread criticize for constructive reasons, and aren't generally part of the "bashing" crowd ... TP to you guys for your great points!

I know the majority of the fans will be rooting for the C's come tomorrow night, I guess I just wanted to know that it's because these guys are truly appreciated for what they do, and how much they've brought to us, and not just so we can have bragging rights. There is a saturation point of negativity for each one of us, however, and I guess I just finally reached mine.

I'm not sure if the players ever read these blogs or not, (I can't imagine that they don't, from time-to-time), and I just hope if they do, that they'll see clearly that we criticize and analyze for a positive end, not just to bash, and that we're very grateful for this awesome season. Thanks again for your great viewpoints!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yeah the team might need us right now...But we also need Doc to trust what has got us wins all season..He has gone away from players who played Key roles and is trying to infuse VETs like Casell who don't have a team adgenda..

Rondo has to have the ball in his hands...Doc never trusted him with the keys to the team all season..So we bring in do or die Sam..

Eddie House was big offensively throught much of the season..Now he is stone cold on the bench..Boobiee Gibson or Delonte are not lock down defenders there is no reason why this guy sees no time

We can still win this thing but Doc has taken a "Sky is falling approach" and stopped going to match ups..And sticking with the same old same old...
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yeah the team might need us right now...But we also need Doc to trust what has got us wins all season..He has gone away from players who played Key roles and is trying to infuse VETs like Casell who don't have a team adgenda..

Rondo has to have the ball in his hands...Doc never trusted him with the keys to the team all season..So we bring in do or die Sam..

Eddie House was big offensively throught much of the season..Now he is stone cold on the bench..Boobiee Gibson or Delonte are not lock down defenders there is no reason why this guy sees no time

We can still win this thing but Doc has taken a "Sky is falling approach" and stopped going to match ups..And sticking with the same old same old...

I agree (TP) ... his fascination with the whole "veterans rule" concept has taken this team away from what it has used all year to get us to this point. Just play how we were playing all season long, for crying-out-loud, and stop giving extended minutes to guys who weren't even HERE for the majority of the success we had this year. Like I said before Sam and PJ even came here: Why fix it, if it ain't broke?!?

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I gave out a lot of TPs to different people in this thread, this is what we need, some positivity from loyal fans, not the sky is falling from alarmists. All I know is I will be at tomorrows game and I plan on being obnoxiously loud in my cheering for the greatest franchise in the history of sports.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I gave out a lot of TPs to different people in this thread, this is what we need, some positivity from loyal fans, not the sky is falling from alarmists. All I know is I will be at tomorrows game and I plan on being obnoxiously loud in my cheering for the greatest franchise in the history of sports.

TP back atcha for the positivity, Celtic .... I'm gonna go down through this page and hand out some more as well. Hope you have a blast at the game ... and take a little good luck with you!

* BAHKU MUSIC *