Author Topic: First sign of descent?  (Read 10009 times)

Re: First sign of descent?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
isn't the word "dissent"?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
isn't the word "dissent"?

I think maybe he meant this kind of descent:

Yup

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Everyone please stop blaming Glen Rivers. Even the players are blaming the coach.  Sorry but out of all the major sports Basketball is the one sport that is less effected by coaching. 

Coaches don't make fouls or call fouls.  Coaching don't make or miss shots.  Coaches don't turn the ball over.  Basketball is a simple sports, we all can go outside right now and get a 5 on 5 and not have one play called for us. An NBA coache for the most part are high price babysitters. 

No, Doc doesn't play the game.  However, his job is to put the team in the best position to succeed: by playing the right players, by communicating with his team, by keeping the team loose, by calling timeouts at the right time, by practicing the fundamentals, etc., etc.

As many have been saying, it's in the playoffs -- when the pressure is amplified, and where little decisions make big differences -- where coaching really matters.

My biggest problem with Doc so far in the offseason (although not the only one) is that he totally reworked his rotation, without experimenting with that rotation in even one regular season game.  The last ten games of the regular season should have been spent allowing the players to learn their new roles, instead of the weird five man bench units that got heavy play.  Now, more than one player is pointing fingers at the coach.  None of this had to happen.

(Relegating Eddie House to the bench was a terrible, terrible decision.  Once it became clear that Sam was only going to be a chucker, Doc should have reverted to what had been working, rather than relying so much on "veteran experience".)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Everyone please stop blaming Glen Rivers. Even the players are blaming the coach.  Sorry but out of all the major sports Basketball is the one sport that is less effected by coaching. 

Coaches don't make fouls or call fouls.  Coaching don't make or miss shots.  Coaches don't turn the ball over.  Basketball is a simple sports, we all can go outside right now and get a 5 on 5 and not have one play called for us. An NBA coache for the most part are high price babysitters. 

No, Doc doesn't play the game.  However, his job is to put the team in the best position to succeed: by playing the right players, by communicating with his team, by keeping the team loose, by calling timeouts at the right time, by practicing the fundamentals, etc., etc.

As many have been saying, it's in the playoffs -- when the pressure is amplified, and where little decisions make big differences -- where coaching really matters.

My biggest problem with Doc so far in the offseason (although not the only one) is that he totally reworked his rotation, without experimenting with that rotation in even one regular season game.  The last ten games of the regular season should have been spent allowing the players to learn their new roles, instead of the weird five man bench units that got heavy play.  Now, more than one player is pointing fingers at the coach.  None of this had to happen.

(Relegating Eddie House to the bench was a terrible, terrible decision.  Once it became clear that Sam was only going to be a chucker, Doc should have reverted to what had been working, rather than relying so much on "veteran experience".)
I agree with you here Roy,i felt House should have been given the chance to prove whether he can play in this playoffs,with a decent amount of minutes.But it hasn't happened so far.I don't know why,besides Sam being here.Eddie is not a rookie,been in the league awhile,so he has veteran experience also.Just like last night,what happened to Powe,one instance he's playing,the next he's benched for the evening.Whats up with that kind of coaching?A lot of things,just don't add up with Doc's methods of insertion of players,seems almost at random,like a experiment at times.I want use the word rotation anymore,because rotation usually consist of consistency,none what i can see.TP for you.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does anyone else remember the bad last month and a half of the season that Eddie House had besides me? For all the outcry as to Eddie's absence from the rotation, this is what Doc had to go on statistically for Eddie as the playoffs came nearer and nearer.

In the last 22 games before the playoffs Eddie shot 38% from the field, 36% from three, and had a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio and averaged 7 PPG. And that was while averaging 18 minutes per game which was only slightly less than his season average of 19.

Eddie was slumping badly in March and April, and even though it's really not all his fault because of a lack of playing time, he is only 1 for 12 in the postseason. Not really a sterling reason to justify playing time. If Eddie had just hit a shot or four in the time given Doc might need to rethink it but Eddie is showing nothing and really hasn't since February.

So if Eddie is complaining about lack of playing time maybe he shouldn't have given the coach a reason to bench him.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
we our in the playoff and we are doin pretty well..we have not declined as a team at all...we have already broken it down to individuals so no need for me to go there..as a whole we are doin fine...we will start to decline if we lose at home...and it aint happen yet

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 03:01:21 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I told you guys during the last series that you pretty much seen the last of Eddie House playing major minutes for the Celtics.  The problem has nothing to do with Basketball but it personal between Eddie House, two players on the team and Doc.

I'm not going to put anyone under the bus but the reason why Eddie isn't playing is do to a what members of the team view as a lack of loyality to the team. 

This is the type of stupidness that cost team a chance at a ring because people have ego's and aren't man enough to step-up for the good of the team. 

We could used Eddie House and there is not doubt about it.  But I doubt he get's any type of minutes over Sam. 

I'm sure more will start to come out when the Celtics season is over with.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I told you guys during the last series that you pretty much seen the last of Eddie House playing major minutes for the Celtics.  The problem has nothing to do with Basketball but it personal between Eddie House, two players on the team and Doc.

I'm not going to put anyone under the bus but the reason why Eddie isn't playing is do to a what members of the team view as a lack of loyality to the team. 

This is the type of stupidness that cost team a chance at a ring because people have ego's and aren't man enough to step-up for the good of the team. 

We could used Eddie House and there is not doubt about it.  But I doubt he get's any type of minutes over Sam. 

Why are we talking about the past when it has yet to happen?  Good golly ol' molly...NO ONE has cost us a championship or a series yet.  That's just inane.  Say that if and when they're eliminated.
Yup

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free

Firstly, your assertion is completely incorrect.  Basketball is the most affected by coaching.  How does a baseball manager affect what happens on the field?  Do they run plays in hockey?  Paul Pierce, RA, and KG can be stars but if the coach isn't running plays and using the players correctly there is nothing they can do.  Doc is not using Ray Allen they way he should and even though he coached Paul Pierce for the last 4 years he inexplicably has forgotten how to use him too.  From what I see Doc deserves a lot of the blame

Why is Sam Cassell playing the minutes he is? What has he done to deserve these minutes?  At the beginning of that fourth quarter Rondo should have been playing.  Things were going well and Cassell went in their and killed everything we had going and Doc left him in there.  Why has he not spoken to cassell about his shot selection?  He brings nothing to this team.

I am glad KG called out Doc.  Doc never takes any of the blame and consistently puts it on his players.  I am so sick of that.  You watch other coaches and they take the blame for their players.  Stan Van Gundy is the best example of this.  I've heard him continuously say that its his fault that his team wasnt prepared.  Doc has made a living of criticizing his players in the papers and its about time he took some heat.  The fans have been calling him out but he's been the media darling.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:34:41 PM by PierceMVP08 »

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
There was an "attack" here that was as much of an attack as Pierce's gesture was menacing. It's been deleted now, because mods are too sensitive, much like Celtics fans.

The series is 2-2 and we have homecourt, where we haven't lost a playoff game yet. Let's take a deep breath and relax before we start throwing our team, coach, and star players under the bus on our way off the Tobin, okay?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:46:37 PM by Pawtucket Pat »

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I am very confident that we will still win the series.  That is not the issue.  The issue is that Doc Rivers is not a very good coach.  WE have done so well this season and it is in spite of him.  I have never been a fan of rivers and you can tell by watching the game he doesn't really know what he is doing.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am very confident that we will still win the series.  That is not the issue.  The issue is that Doc Rivers is not a very good coach.  WE have done so well this season and it is in spite of him.  I have never been a fan of rivers and you can tell by watching the game he doesn't really know what he is doing.

my thoughts
tp for making my life and english easier
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 04:30:11 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I would agree witht he fact I want this team to lose at home so we can see if they can win on the road in game 6.....

Doc is to blame cause he's changed everything that's worked for us most of the season by bringing in Sam.... Eddie was fine during the season and in this series he'd be playing against D.West and Booby Gibson who he wouldn't have a problem matching up to.  Eddie can spread the floor and he knows our offense.....

I think the biggest problem is no player respects Doc's decisions.... when he tells players not to jack up hero shots, they do anyways...... when he tells them to drive the lane, they shoot jumpers.... if he was a "real " coach, he'd bench anyone who didn't obey him.... I've seen Phil Jackson bench the best player in the league, Kobe, for disobeying him....so Doc not benching Rondo or Pierce shows he has now control over the team.....

Also, has anyone noticed the weak screens everyone is setting for Ray..... man, I'd be so angry if I were Ray..... his teammates act as though they are setting screens and don't really do it....

I find it funny that the Cavs have been able to shut down 2 All-Stars ( Pierce and Allen ) while the Celtics have only managed to contain 1 All-Star....  tell me, who's the better team?

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I would agree witht he fact I want this team to lose at home so we can see if they can win on the road in game 6.....

I can't agree with that.  If we lose Game 5, I have a sneaking suspicion that this series is over.  We don't need that type of pressure put on the team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

so you still really think his kid wearing his uncles jersey was the downfall of eddie house huh?

if so, doc is an even worse coach than we thought  .
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion