Author Topic: First sign of descent?  (Read 10060 times)

First sign of descent?
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Here's a quote from KG in today's boston globe that I found interesting:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/13/square_route/

Coach Doc Rivers said his team needed to play better "under stress" during the final stretch of games. Pierce and Garnett begged to differ.

"I wouldn't say we're lacking poise," Garnett said. "In a situation like ours, we are trying to do everything that Doc wants us to do. He makes all the calls. He gives us direction. For the most part, we pretty much try to do what he wants."

It looks to me that he's transferring the blame for the loss (specifically the poor 4th quarter play) to Doc. What do you guys think?

Re: First sign of descent?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/13/square_route/

Coach Doc Rivers said his team needed to play better "under stress" during the final stretch of games. Pierce and Garnett begged to differ.

"I wouldn't say we're lacking poise," Garnett said. "In a situation like ours, we are trying to do everything that Doc wants us to do. He makes all the calls. He gives us direction. For the most part, we pretty much try to do what he wants."

It looks to me that he's transferring the blame for the loss (specifically the poor 4th quarter play) to Doc. What do you guys think?

I have a problem with what KG said when he said "We are trying to do everything that Doc wants us to do." Or really Kevin, so with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and Doc told you and your teammate were in the bonus the rest of the way, so EVERYONE go to the BASKET. So after the timeout, where Doc was stressing to you guys go to the Basket, you and your teammates only manage to get 2 free throws the rest of the quarter. Nobody took the ball to the basket.

Oh and by the way when Doc told you guys not to take "HERO" shots.  Your teammate Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo took a couple of "HERO" shots that just killed the team.  But like you said KG "We are trying to do everything taht Doc wants us to do.

KG is a born losser, he will go down in history the same way Charles Barkley and Karl Malone did.  At lease those guys made it to the NBA Finals.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:08:52 AM by CT34 »

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
So after the timeout, where Doc was stressing to you guys go to the Basket, you and your teammates only manage to get 2 free throws the rest of the quarter. Nobody took the ball to the basket.

Oh and by the way when Doc told you guys not to take "HERO" shots.  Your teammate Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo took a couple of "HERO" shots that just killed the team. 

completely agree with that - i was thinking the same thing.

i think you're way too harsh in your criticism of kg though. way too harsh.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

KG is a born losser, he will go down in history the same way Charles Barkley and Carl Malone did.  At lease those guys made it to the NBA Finals.

That's just ridiculous to say. Then again, we're talking about a guy who can't even spell Karl Malone, so I don't know how seriously to take your opinion anyway.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think it's Doc's fault that the team missed a barrage of wide open shots, and consistently failed to get any sort of defensive stops when it mattered.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't think it's Doc's fault that the team missed a barrage of wide open shots, and consistently failed to get any sort of defensive stops when it mattered.

precisely true.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It definitely sounds like a bit of finger-pointing.  Of course, KG is seeing the same thing we all are.

This wasn't the first sign of dissent, though.  That came from Tony Allen and Eddie House, when they lost minutes.  Both told the press they weren't happy about it, and Eddie said that Doc hadn't discussed the issue with him.  His response for why he wasn't playing was "you'd have to ask Doc".

I don't want to read too much into things, but there seems to be some frustration spilling over, and players are pointing their fingers at the coach.  Since one of the*only* positives (in my opinion) that Doc brings to the team is his ability to keep the team focused and promote chemistry, this is something he needs to remedy immediately.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It definitely sounds like a bit of finger-pointing.  Of course, KG is seeing the same thing we all are.

This wasn't the first sign of dissent, though.  That came from Tony Allen and Eddie House, when they lost minutes.  Both told the press they weren't happy about it, and Eddie said that Doc hadn't discussed the issue with him.  His response for why he wasn't playing was "you'd have to ask Doc".

I don't want to read too much into things, but there seems to be some frustration spilling over, and players are pointing their fingers at the coach.  Since one of the*only* positives (in my opinion) that Doc brings to the team is his ability to keep the team focused and promote chemistry, this is something he needs to remedy immediately.

Two of the main things lacking on the road in the playoffs. 

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »

Offline ponch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
There is plenty of blame to go around.  I won't pretend to know what plays Doc is or is not calling.  But what can't be disputed is what he is doing with our rotation It all culminated with the lineup he threw out to start the 4th, which was a complete joke.  The balance of the game hung right there.  Doc also should have recognized that Sam couldn't hang with Booby on D.

Having said that, KG, Pierce and Ray(witness protection program) Allen need to step up.  You make the big bucks for a reason.  You did it all season long, so if you can't do it when the pressure is really on, what does that say about you.

Overall I am just incredibly disappointed with this team.  Will we still beat Cleveland?  Probably.  They are a second rate team with one great player and a bunch of spare parts.  But how anyone can have any confidence the C's would have even a chance against the Pistons is beyond me.  It may be 2-2 in the second round, but I feel like the season is already over.  Maybe this is the new trend with our Boston sports teams.  Suck us in with amazing regular seasons and then roll over in the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown

KG is a born losser, he will go down in history the same way Charles Barkley and Carl Malone did.  At lease those guys made it to the NBA Finals.

That's just ridiculous to say. Then again, we're talking about a guy who can't even spell Karl Malone, so I don't know how seriously to take your opinion anyway.

First every Carl or Karl I know being their name with a C. So it was just a habit.  Yes KG is a losser I liken him more to a Patrick Ewing who was another born losser. 

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm a little concerned that KG can't take a look in the mirror and look at who is really responsible for the losses on the road this postseason.

After Saturday night atrocious showing many in the Game Thread were blaming Doc and I said that after 4 straight road horror shows that there was just no way anyone could be looking at Doc for the majority of the blame in this. One to three bad losses maybe it bad prep, bad in game coaching, whatever. But not 4 games, and now, certainly not 5 games.

And as I breeze through the threads this morning almost all of the blame that is being passed on is now centering the players and almost nothing on the coaches. So now the fans are starting to see that it isn't the coaching, but the players.

Everyone is starting to see that. Except KG, who has now decided that it is time to start looking for a scapegoat if things don't go the way he expects them to.

How sad is that?

Lastly, I can spell Karl Malone and I'm starting to agree with CT, maybe this whole KG can't lead a team to the promised land is true. Maybe there's something lacking in his heart. Maybe the same holds true for Paul and Ray as well.

So before throwing CT's opinion under the bus simply because he misspelled Karl, maybe we should pause and consider that he could just be 100% right.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
The entire team is to blame.

But it starts with Rondo.  He's not having any success driving the lane - Big Z, LeBron, or Ben Wallace stuff his layup back in his face.  So when he takes the ball up the court, he passes and then moves to the wing.  He's not a particularly dangerous shooter, so Cleveland ignores him to have more manpower against the actual threats.  He needs to shelf his pride and get back in the lane.  He's 6 feet tall, he's going to eat a lot of shots over the course of his career.  But his loss of confidence is changing the way that entire offense operates. 

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm a little concerned that KG can't take a look in the mirror and look at who is really responsible for the losses on the road this postseason.

After Saturday night atrocious showing many in the Game Thread were blaming Doc and I said that after 4 straight road horror shows that there was just no way anyone could be looking at Doc for the majority of the blame in this. One to three bad losses maybe it bad prep, bad in game coaching, whatever. But not 4 games, and now, certainly not 5 games.

And as I breeze through the threads this morning almost all of the blame that is being passed on is now centering the players and almost nothing on the coaches. So now the fans are starting to see that it isn't the coaching, but the players.

Everyone is starting to see that. Except KG, who has now decided that it is time to start looking for a scapegoat if things don't go the way he expects them to.

How sad is that?

Lastly, I can spell Karl Malone and I'm starting to agree with CT, maybe this whole KG can't lead a team to the promised land is true. Maybe there's something lacking in his heart. Maybe the same holds true for Paul and Ray as well.

So before throwing CT's opinion under the bus simply because he misspelled Karl, maybe we should pause and consider that he could just be 100% right.

First off Doc Rivers totally took what earned 66 wins in the regular season and reworked it and retooled it without going over any of it with anybody. That's not UMBUNTU or whatever the hell it called.

He took two players who have no business playing in the playoffs and made them key primary reserves without being adjusted to the team. The bench WAS a major strength for us before Doc "playoff" Rivers showed up.

The shot clock fiasco in Atlanta. Even a halfway respectable coach would spend the down time coaching his team and going over some more pointers and using that time effectively.

He is a lazy coach and deserves no part of this great Legacy and he deserves not ever to be mentioned in it.

The only way I'm going to survive the heartache of being eliminated is the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel that says "Rivers is fired!"

It's Celtic fate that says we must be defeated this year. Those that do not deserve it don't deserve to be in Celtic lore.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
You know, after reading all this, a part of me almost wants them to lose tomorrow night at home, so for better or worse, we can see if this team can win on the road.  Maybe that's what it will take - take away the margin for error.  And if they did lose that 6th game and drop the series then we'd be spared the agony of winning a series without winning on the road.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Everyone please stop blaming Glen Rivers. Even the players are blaming the coach.  Sorry but out of all the major sports Basketball is the one sport that is less effected by coaching.  

Coaches don't make fouls or call fouls.  Coaching don't make or miss shots.  Coaches don't turn the ball over.  Basketball is a simple sports, we all can go outside right now and get a 5 on 5 and not have one play called for us. An NBA coache for the most part are high price babysitters.  

The point of the matter is this,the Celtics Star Players haven't come to play.  They have been out played throughout the play-offs on the road.  That isn't a coaching thing it's a players thing. Our players lack that killer mindset that set the Super-Stars players apart from the All-Star players.  Players, Coaches and fan fear Super-Star players. Teams do not fear coaches. Right now nobody is worried about 3 all-star players but everyone fears that 1 super start in this series and that is LeBron James.

At the end of the day it comes down to the players the Super-Star players.  The Cavs they have 1 and the Celtics don't.