Author Topic: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)  (Read 19260 times)

Re: When Does Doc Take Responsibility? Examples?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
My friend and I came out with the decision that Doc should be a politician.  He always says the right things to the media that takes blame away from him, so the media doesnt go hard on him like they should.  I mean, who starts all the scrubs, including a ROOKIE that hasnt played all series in the 4th QUARTER?!?  Then he says that it was Pierce's fault for not playing better during that stretch.

Anyway, for a change of tactic, I think we have been playing really well against James but not the other guys.  I think it's time for us to leave some good ole 1-on-1 D on James and play hard D on the rest of the guys.  Make Lebron outscore the entire team.  Therefore just leave Pierce and Posey on James and no double team.  James is no Bryant scoring-wise.  He can't score 80 points during the game, and if he can, I'd like to see him try.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
My friend and I came out with the decision that Doc should be a politician.  He always says the right things to the media that takes blame away from him, so the media doesnt go hard on him like they should.  I mean, who starts all the scrubs, including a ROOKIE that hasnt played all series in the 4th QUARTER?!?  Then he says that it was Pierce's fault for not playing better during that stretch.

Anyway, for a change of tactic, I think we have been playing really well against James but not the other guys.  I think it's time for us to leave some good ole 1-on-1 D on James and play hard D on the rest of the guys.  Make Lebron outscore the entire team.  Therefore just leave Pierce and Posey on James and no double team.  James is no Bryant scoring-wise.  He can't score 80 points during the game, and if he can, I'd like to see him try.

I think this may be the way to go in the next game, it will really throw Cleveland off, and Lebron will probably take so long adjusting back to it, that it will work against him too. It may also be the thing to do in a game 6 in Cleveland to give the C's a needed advantage on the road.

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline swebb87

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

And have this happen? No thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/v/d1Px-jPm_TU&hl=en

Re: Anyone Still Nervous About Doc Rivers As Our Coach?
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
He hasn't lost this team, and if you really believe he has, then you are an alarmist and the sky is falling. They ran out of energy in game four, there is nothing Doc can coach them on to keep them intense in a playoff road game.

Re: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
And have this happen? No thanks.

I agree that it's risky, but we barely won game 1, and we have lost game 3 and 4, so clearly what we are doing is not necessary working.  Also, even though Lebron has shooting poorly, he still producing points by getting his teammates involved.  Just think about it, yesterday he scored 21 points, but also had 13 assist, therefore he was directly responsible for 26 points (with a total of 47 points).  Also, the role players are actually being active in these last games instead of standing around like the whole series.  If perhaps we can keep him at scoring at 30+ points, but keep the other guys from scoring, then by the 4th quarter they might just be standing around again.  Only then we start challenging Lebron hardcore and challenge the other guys to beat us w/out any rhythm.  It's a risk, but since the other method is not working, I think it's worthy of a try.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »

Offline sgeezy87

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Get back to the rotation that got you to 66-15!!

First of all get sam out of the game! go back eddie house, a guy who is intense comes down, and al though he doesn't have alot of handle, he simply runs the offense unlike "dribble dribble sam" and then opens the floor up to another shooter like ray Allen, the lane for paul and KG.

Secondly go back to feeling out who is going to provide that energy on that given night at the power forward position. whether leon powe or big baby, quickly figure whos night it is going to be at the energy position and stick with it!

We are changing to many things, thinking way to much, watching to much espn. "Veteran this, big shot that" they say. but what happens on the floor is what counts and what got us to the number one seed is what we should stick with!

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline Celtic Cid

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
He hasn't lost this team, and if you really believe he has, then you are an alarmist and the sky is falling. They ran out of energy in game four, there is nothing Doc can coach them on to keep them intense in a playoff road game.

Celtic,

you've got your blinders on too tight. take them off and watch the game. i want to win as bad as any other fan but im not going to pretend Doc is a good coach. if you saw game 4 then you will know that his substituions are horrible. you cant blame players for not coming through when their not on the floor.

case in point game 5 Doc puts in Davis and plays him significant minutes and he played awesome. to me he was the difference. when he came out we lost the lead and when he came back in we got it back. no why in the world is he not playing more? why is House and Allan not playing at all? why is Brown playing lots of minutes when he didnt earn them. Doc is the reason we're struggling so no the sky is not falling but if it did it would hit you right on top of the head. better wear a helmet cause you wont see it coming.

Cid

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Celtic,

you've got your blinders on too tight. take them off and watch the game. i want to win as bad as any other fan but im not going to pretend Doc is a good coach. if you saw game 4 then you will know that his substituions are horrible. you cant blame players for not coming through when their not on the floor.

case in point game 5 Doc puts in Davis and plays him significant minutes and he played awesome. to me he was the difference. when he came out we lost the lead and when he came back in we got it back. no why in the world is he not playing more? why is House and Allan not playing at all? why is Brown playing lots of minutes when he didnt earn them. Doc is the reason we're struggling so no the sky is not falling but if it did it would hit you right on top of the head. better wear a helmet cause you wont see it coming.

Cid

Because BBD plays one good game out of every 5-6 he plays. Powe on the other hand plays 4 good games out of every 5-6. Doc saw something he thought would work and he inserted BBD in. I give Doc the credit for that. Doc haters won't give him credit for anything.

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline CelticKings

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
personally i'd get baby and powe more minutes early in the game to get them into a little bit of a rhythem, and we definatly need to see more of E.House. I love Ray but if he is slumping and can't knock them down, you know eddie cant wait to get in.

and between rondo and cassell its a real toss up because he had a couple games where he scored and played great down the stretch even though he doesn't play team ball. however recently he's been throwing up bricks and not getting anyone else involved so its counterproductive. when that happens we definatly need to get rondo in there.

also i think when the teams not shooting well the key is lay ups. it works for individual players, like when rondo's in a shooting slump you'll see him drive ant get his shot back, we should be going to the hole, KG can knock down the J but as a team we gotta be more physical.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:51:29 PM by CelticKings »

What Happened to the Rotation that Won 66 Games?
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Here's a novel idea, Doc. Go back to the rotation that won 66 games this season. You know, bring Powe in for Perk after he gets his 2nd foul, Eddie and Posey in for Rondo and Pierce at the end of the first quarter, and so on. It amazes me how Doc can really out-think himself sometimes.  Go back to what worked so well. Which is not to say you don't make adjustments during the game if things aren't going well. So if Powe struggles, sub in PJ or BBD.  Find out what works, and milk it for what you can get. Honestly, why it took game 6 in round 2 for Doc to even put EH back into the rotation is absolutely inexcusable. It's like Doc bought into all the Sam Cassell hype in the media, forgetting that Cassell had nothing to do with our regular season success. I know the play-offs are different, but House was not even given a chance. And we're still waiting to see why Tony Allen has not gotten any burn.

Watching Phil Jackson tonight coach the Lakers to a win, can anyone doubt that We would already be in the 3rd round, up 2-0 against the Pistons right now if he were our coach instead of Doc?

Re: What Happened to the Rotation that Won 66 Games?
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
TP for you Footey.

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Thanks, Vinnie. I've been following this team religiously since 66-67 season (Russ's first year as player coach), I'm an old timer like you.

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Danny added two players to play roles in the team. Sam was told he was going to be the backup point guard. Danny said it, Doc said it. Danny made the move, he's responsible for a big part of this too.

Watching Phil Jackson tonight coach the Lakers to a win, can anyone doubt that We would already be in the 3rd round, up 2-0 against the Pistons right now if he were our coach instead of Doc?

Phil hates making moves in the middle of the season. He doesn't like his GM making in season trades and tells them not to do it. Phil doesn't like the disruption on the rotation/chemistry. This season is one of the few times his team actually made a move in the middle of the season, then again who wouldn't accept Pau for Kwame it's the exception of exceptions.

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:26 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Thanks, Vinnie. I've been following this team religiously since 66-67 season (Russ's first year as player coach), I'm an old timer like you.

Same here Footey.  And I have had season tickets off and on for 30 years, including all of those horrible years.

Does Doc even know what a rotation is?
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »

Offline Beantown Troy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
First it was Sam I am - it took Doc about 12 games for him to figure out Eddie was what helped us all year to put him into the game. Now, BBD who had his share of DNP-CD's during the REGULAR season is worthy of important 4th qtr minutes during the playoffs....where each possession is so important AND as a 2nd round rookie. Unbelievable! Why doesn't Doc stick to a rotation that has been successful!? Where's Leon? At least he can jump and get some rebounds or not get blocked like BBD was....or Posey and KG on the floor together like we did so successfully all year?!

Rotation in the playoffs should/should have been:

Perk, KG, Truth, Ray Ray, Rondo

Posey, Eddie, Leon, TA

Fire Doc and hire Thibodeau