Author Topic: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)  (Read 19268 times)

Re: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Inserting BBD over Powe was odd but altogether I felt it was not of major consequence.  Perkins and Powe weren't exactly having an impact in the game.  I don't know if having Powe in there would have made any difference. 

The bigger thing was playing Sam too long. 14 minutes is just too long for Sam when he's not hitting shots and getting burned repeatedly at the other end.  It was obvious as early as the 1st half that Sam would not be able to keep up with Boobie running around and coming off screens (which the Cavs were doing). I remember a play where Boobie ran a baseline route from one side to the other side and midway through under the basket Sam just literally gave up the chase.  It boggles the mind why Doc won't play Rondo 38-40+ minutes in these situations.

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:15 AM »

Offline wbones1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
 I haven't posted here in quite a while but could not resist. All this year I have heard that Doc was doing a great job. I have never giving up my mantra that come playoff time he would be in over his head. He looks like a deer in headlights right now. While the players were not hitting shots at the end of the game. The team has not played effectively on the road. Alot of that is on the coach and his preperation. Also the lack of adjustments during a game can really hurt especially now. So I once again sound the call FIRE DOC!!!!!!!
wbones1

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
From watching Cassell in the playoffs if I didn't know any better I'd swear he doesn't have a single assist for his entire career.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Has there been a media explanation for why Powe didn't play that much?  Why are Doc's rotations so random?

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »

Offline Oldschoolkid

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I agree, Doc takes  Rondo out for no apparent reason, and keeps Sam in the same.....? He is being out-coached, we are being beaten by a one-man team. (well, there was Atlanta too!) Like I said in my other posts, why do we not have a post game......KG gets fed the ball at the top of the key, did Karl Malone have it this way...? KG could post up anyone on that team! PJ or Powe on the other side for the rebound, use your strengths, make THEM adjust. Allen and or House for KG's outlet, shoot or pass it back to him......KG is playing like a guard and we have no inside game so Cleve has it easy to play D.

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the only problem with playing eddie house right now would appear to be a possible lack of confidence.  sports is an emotional game, and confidence plays a HUGE part.  eddie played a big part in getting us where we are, then he was demoted in favor of cassell.

honestly, it's a shame...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just throwing House out there isn't the best idea.  He has been out so long now. 

Just play Rondo 37-40 minutes. 

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
i really dont think it is to late to start playing house more minutes. ya he must be upset and dissapointed, but imagine how being the first player off the bench with posey next game would help boost his confidence. he hits a couple threes in that strech and hes back to normal. also i really like the idea of moving paul to the 2 and giving posey more minutes at the 3 in the fourth quarter. i love ray dont get me wrong but for this series that line up makes sense from all points. posey can exert all his effort into guarding lebron, and i am sure pierce could hang with wally a lot better than ray has been. plus pierce would have  much easier time scoring the ball by having fresher legs as a result from not guarding lebron and hopefully be able to go at a smaller defender. if the celts are down by ten or so go back to the smaller lineup with ray pierce an posey all in, but for the rest of this series, in close games in the second half, a lineup with pierce at the 2makes a bunch of sense.

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline Oldschoolkid

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

Why doesn't KG ever post up? Why doesn't he get fed the ball down there in position the way most big men do? He is forced to play like a 6'6" guy, outside, depending on an outside shot. Then our team has no inside pressure on their defense! Wouldn't that force a double-team on him and maybe free up Ray Allen? Are we out-coached? Their strategy of shutting down Ray Allen is....working! They may have found the key to our offense! How can the Celts make Anderson V look so good...? Shuts down everyone on defense, always open underneath for an easy basket.....! Hate that! Maybe doc should have tried Tony Allen when Gibson was point. Maybe post KG and put Ray Allen and Eddie House in for a major inside/outside threat, with PJ and Powe for major rebounding, try that 5.......! Why doesn't anybody make a move to the hoop when one of our guys are in trouble, KG, Rondo, when you see your teammate fading away & throwing up a heave, you know there is a rebound to be had, all of our team is always standing  flat-footed, just watching the play!!! Is it that Doc is a guard and only has a guard mentality, therefore cannot think of what to do with his big men? We have zero post game!

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »

Offline acl rupture

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
The talent on this team rivals any team in the league. Its the coaching staff job to put the players in a posistion to be successfull. The style of defense the Celtics play(constant switching and running out). makes it absolutely necessary the Head Coach make the right substitutions at the right times. Doc has never been good at this. It seems to me we either have the wrong combinations of players on the floor or the players that are out there look real tired.

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
And if your going to get House back into the rotation a home game would be the best time. And not a Game 7 either.

So i agree that he needs to do that tomorrow.

What is bugging me about our lineup
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline WheresEddie?

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Doc does a great job all year of finding specific roles for players like Big Baby, Powe, and especially Eddie House. Time and time again he would go to these guys in crucial times in a game and they came through.

There were several games that Eddie came in and buried teams outright with his threes or would bring the Celtics back from a 8-12 point deficit real quick with his instant offense. Not only that he would spread the floor on offense which is what they are sorely lacking right now against Cleveland. Big baby also did the same with his stregnth and hustle. They were a team and everybody contributed.

Then they acquire Casselll and PJ Brown and when the playoffs begin Doc gives all those minutes to these old vets. Everything that we did all year is thrown out the window. Its changed the whole complexion of the team and anyone can see it's not working. In case you forgot Tony Allen can play some defense too when needed and there have been plenty of times it's been needed.

Go with what got you there Doc before it's too late. You built this team's charcter back in Rome in the preseaseon and in my opinion you blew that up in the playoffs. Give Eddie House some run in the 1st and 2nd half like you did all year.

Re: What is bugging me about our lineup
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Look at Eddie's performance in the playoffs on other teams (see Nets, Clippers, Suns) and then ask yourself again why he's not playing.

Remember, "statistics are like a lamp post for a drunkard; better for support than for illumination..."  His stats aren't that flattering to begin with.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I'm in support of putting House into the rotation. We don't need to look at stats to determine whether to put him in - we all know what he can do, and that is hit some 3s. With Rondo struggling with his jump shot, and Cassell struggling with his as well as not being able to play D, House can come in with 3 things:

1. A reliable 3 point option for a kick out, which neither Rondo nor Cassell seem to be able to make consistently
2. A point guard who has run the offense and understands the offense, and who the players have played with, with Rondo not getting anything done and Cassell opting too much for his mid-range jump shot
3. Someone who can at least stay with the Cavs point guards, which Cassell is having trouble with, and Rondo, for all his accoladed D, hasn't really been able to cause havoc

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
true, house was great in the regular season. i realize it's probably because he has no rhythm due to lack of playing time, but when he HAS played in the playoffs, i don't think he's hit a single shot. this was mostly in garbage time and/or in end-of-quarter situations.

but when house did get more time in the regular season, if his shot wasn't falling, he was pretty much useless. it's a tough predicament - kinda like the chicken vs. the egg...but i bet if house started hitting a few shots in his limited time, doc would give him more time. otherwise, is it worth the gamble to come out and give him 10-15 minutes? what if he keeps missing? then we're in even more trouble...

tough call for doc.