Author Topic: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)  (Read 19261 times)

Re: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 11:46:14 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
That's a GREAT point.  Remember when people used to criticize KC Jones back in the '80s for over-playing the starters.  What is the purpose of having a guy like KG if not to put a team in a 3-1 hole. . .

Why not let KG got he entire 2nd half?  They got two days off coming up.

They saved his minutes all year. Why not cash some of that in on the road to put a team in a 3-1 hole heading to Boston?

Re: Doc's Rotation Management
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:51:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
sorry...i meant "letting it slip away."  but leave it to you to redirect the thread... :)

my sincere apologies for this oversight...thank you making a big deal out of it.  ::)

Sorry.  Just have seen way to many glass half empty views and that one tipped me over.  Back to picking apart Doc's rotation...Didn't get putting in Big Baby.  Rest of it didn't have a big problem.
Yup

Re: Tommy Questions the Coaching
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:52:14 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I think you are right -- he *will* play.  The question I think we are focused on though is whether he should be playing.

That is a good call on Tommy's loyalty.  But in this case, I think he has a point.  Everyone all year raved about the Celtics "chemistry". . .

Tommy is fiercely loyal to the guys who got us here, and he has harped on Sam from day one.  Obviously Sam has been hit or miss, but management brought him in to play in the playoffs.  He's gonna play.

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
KG resting the first five minutes of the fourth quarter bugged me.  And who knew that Wally would outplay Ray?  Truly unreal.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 11:54:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Tommy just put it on the Celtics coaches to figure out how to fix the Celtics offense.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Tommy just put it on the Celtics coaches to figure out how to fix the Celtics offense.

Hats off to Tommy.  He is 100 percent on the money. 

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 11:59:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Maybe we need a coach for Offense.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:15 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I thought that was Doc Rivers?  I'm not even joking here.  Wasn't that the thing he is supposed to be best at coaching?

Maybe we need a coach for Offense.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Tommy point for Tommy!   

I'm sick of all the defense talk when our offense cannot create, recognize and exploit mismatches.  This is not Riley's Knicks or Heat teams who can win only because of defense.

Thibodeau gets praise for practically living in the gym watching and breaking down game film, devising strategies, and running defensive drills.  Doc and his offensive coaches should start joining him and work on this team's offense.  Repeat after me--"Our offense will not take care of itself."

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
if sams hot, he should be in.. if not then sit him.. he hurts us really bad when he misses.. i mean come one.. you take 10 secs in the shotclock dribbling only to shoot it? maybe its time for eddie.. pj played well.. baby shouldnt be in when z is out esp at the start of quarters.. celts should always start the quarters strong.. thats been their problem closing out the road.. they start the 4th too slow..

i mean.. when ray got hot they got away from him.. same with kg and rondo was benched too long after his breakout.. bad rotation doc.. bad rotation

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 02:03:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i've been defending doc until the cows come home. but it's getting harder and harder.

i'm fed up.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Eddie House should be the initial sub for Rondo, the change in tempo from Rage to Cassell is just horrible. We've got to maintain the run, and penetration, and passing of the ball, and attacking the paint, and it just does NOT happen much with Sammy in.

Sam's fine when he's nailing his shot, to a point, because even when he's hitting, the tempo and the rest of the team are thrown into a different universe. Sam gets hot one game out of about 5 or 6, and we just don't have the time to be waiting around for it, hoping he's gonna make the difference. What made the difference all year was the attack, and the quick penetration, and Rondo and House did most of that.

Eddie's at least as big of an outside threat as Sam is, (more, I feel), and yet has the ability to keep the tempo at the pace we need it. I truly feel Sam is most effective as a sub for Ray, with Rage in at the same time. I also like to see Pierce rotate to the shooting guard and Posey take the small forward spot ... very powerful and effective set-up. Eddie needs to be the replacement for Rajon, Sam the sub for Ray, (or rotate Paul over and put Posey in at SF), and use Tony as the third backup for defensive purposes.

I would also like to see Big Baby more, in tandem with Powe or PJ, or even with KG. Powe is very effective playing with KG, too, and I'd like to see more of that. The sad thing now is that it's been so long since Eddie has played, that it would take a while to get him back in the groove, and we don't have time to waste. I can't believe that Doc and this team are just forgetting everything that got them through the regular season. It makes no sense whatsoever.

This is not rocket science, just RUN, attack the basket, play big defense, and use the three as a last resort, to keep the opponent honest. They did it all year long, the won on the road that way, they got the best record in the league that way, they came from behind to win many times that way ... where has it gone? Hate to say it, but the more we use Sam, the worse this team gets ... period. His coming here was the beginning of the end, and if Doc doesn't wake the heck up and go back to our original plan, we'll be screwed!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 02:27:12 AM »

Offline kevingamble34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
I was in shock with that rotation to start the 4th quarter.  Big Baby and PJ and Sam?  Very odd timing. 

As for Sam Cassell vs. Eddie House, I don't think Sam can stay with Boobie Gibson as well as Eddie could.  I think we're losing some D without Eddie in that backup role.  Sam's had his games he's won for us, though, so it's really a matchup thing.  You have to think we should give Eddie a shot with all of our 3-point shooters struggling tonight, no?  I could live with that tinker, but that 4th quarter rotation was nuts, Doc!  This isn't an October game against Milwaukee, you know?

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 03:15:39 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I was in shock with that rotation to start the 4th quarter.  Big Baby and PJ and Sam?  Very odd timing. 

As for Sam Cassell vs. Eddie House, I don't think Sam can stay with Boobie Gibson as well as Eddie could.  I think we're losing some D without Eddie in that backup role.  Sam's had his games he's won for us, though, so it's really a matchup thing.  You have to think we should give Eddie a shot with all of our 3-point shooters struggling tonight, no?  I could live with that tinker, but that 4th quarter rotation was nuts, Doc!  This isn't an October game against Milwaukee, you know?
I agree with you here,was not only shocked but disappointed.I like BBD,but bad timing on Doc's part.I really wonder why he didn't go back with Powe.TP for you...also agree with the Boobie/Sam thing.

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 05:02:47 AM »

Offline ILOVEWALTAH

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I completeyly agree with everyone who sat there last night scratching their  heads wondering what exactly Docs strategy was. First I know Sam Cassel is a vet and he has had his moments in these playoffs, but playing him this much makes no sense. My biggest problem with Sam is that when he is in the game the Celts dont run any set offense, maybe because it takes Sam until there is 12 seconds on the shot clock to get to the top of the key. By the time the Celts start to run anything, thay have to throw up a contested shot from 15ft out, just to beat the shot clock. Rondo should of got more time tonight, mainly because the offense seems run the way it should and he makes things happen on offense, as well as defense. When Sam has the point  it looks like a pick up game on the offensive end and theres no better place for 1 on 1 offense than in a pick up game. My second problems mainly stems from starting the 4th qtr with only on starter on the floor, putting big baby in the game/lack of Powe and the amount of time it took to get the starters back out. I understand the starters need a rest, but what is the point of putting big baby on the floor. He hasnt played much so far and was sitting on the bench for probably an hour and 45 mins before he went in, there was no way he or his body would be ready or still loose. He is a very good player, but when you spend the 3/4 of the game sitting on the bench your gonna tighten up and cool down, he had no chance of contributing. The lack of Leon Powe playing time I can understand, P.J. had a really good game going 4/4 from the floor and making the plays at the other end, at some points it looked like P.J. was the only person you could rely on to make a play. Last when maybe 4 mins had gone by in the 4th and both teams couldnt seem to make a shot, I found myself screaming for DOC to put in KG or anybody who could score. It was inevitable that if we didnt get the starters or players in there that could score during both teams drought, that Lebron would make some shots or create some for his teammates. Maybe if Doc put some of the starters in a little sooner we could of made a run, instead of finding ourselves trying to catch up to the run the Cavs went on.