Author Topic: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)  (Read 19269 times)

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Where was Leon Powe in the second half?  It seemed like the Celtics could use an effort guy who could get offensive rebounds, pick the team up in general, etc.  But there is a set of guys on the team, Powe included, that seem to get just a few minutes a game and if they don't perform well, they never see the light of day again. 

However, other guys, like Cassell, get infinite second chances.

I am not the first person to complain about Doc's rotations and general game management, but it seems like it is having *serious* consequences in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Re: Doc's Rotation Management
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Where was Leon Powe in the second half?

that is THE million dollar question of the night.  doc is too predictable with his rotations, meaning, the TIME OF THE GAME in which he puts them in.  big baby doesn't deserve to be on the floor...eddie house has gotten screwed...tony allen should play lebron to help free up pierce on the offensive end (pierce is playing great defense, but he's worn out).

doc needs to get creative...he's losing this series because he's getting out-thought...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »

Offline TheShowPowe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
it was a weird time to put Davis in the game. Davis kills them on offense, and usually Leon gives a nice boost in that area. It made no sense to me. But Doc always has his odd reasons to everything.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
That's the sad thing.  Everyone knew Doc would get out-thought in these situations.  I think Bill Simmons on ESPN has been writing about precisely this situation against the Cavs all year and how much he feared it. . .

But given that Doc seems to be a good and has a solid relationship with the media, I'm sure he won't get a lot of blame. .

that is THE million dollar question of the night.  doc is too predictable with his rotations, meaning, the TIME OF THE GAME in which he puts them in.  big baby doesn't deserve to be on the floor...eddie house has gotten screwed...tony allen should play lebron to help free up pierce on the offensive end (pierce is playing great defense, but he's worn out).

doc needs to get creative...he's losing this series because he's getting out-thought...

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
4th quarter rotation leaves a lot to be desired.

I hate the team they put out there to start the quarter.  Weak offensively.  Average at best defensively.  Davis?  Really?  At that point? 

Would much rather have seen Perkins in there next to Brown.  Close the inside. 

To many 4th quarter minutes for Cassell.  His shot is not falling on the road.  He isn't getting Pierce easier shots.  He can't stay with Gibson. 

Of course it doesn't help that none of the players step up that quarter.  It doesn't help they where happy jacking up one on one outside jumpshots. 

Tommy Questions the Coaching
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Anyone watching the postgame show?  Tommy thinks what is hurting the Celtics is that they changed the chemistry of the team by inserting Sam into the backup role when he plays a different style from what the team played all season long.  Sam walks the ball up and doesn't always get anyone involved, while House pushed the ball up every possession and set up the offense, moved the ball and would also pass the ball up the court if a teammate was ahead of him, just like Rondo does. But Sam comes in and plays a totally different game that made the Celtics successful during the regular season, walking the ball up slowly, allowing Cleveland to set their defense and not moving the ball.  Remember, Tommy was not happy that they got Sam in the first place and warned of chemistry disruption. 

Tommy is just not happy with the way the rotation has switched up for the playoffs.  He also wondered why Big Baby was suddenly in the game when he really hasn't played and Powe only got 6 minutes.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:37:56 PM by Redz »
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Is 2-2 a tie?  Let me check my math?

Best of 3 with home court advantage.  If I'm breaking the tie I'm giving it to the Celtics?  How is Doc losing this series. Man, oh man.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:38:36 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 seems that doc has taken a gamble by totally changing from a rotation that won 66 games in the regular season to a whole new one in the playoffs..... it's obviously not working at all, and if this team loses anywhere short of the finals it should cost him his job.

soooo frustrating!

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
sorry...i meant "letting it slip away."  but leave it to you to redirect the thread... :)

my sincere apologies for this oversight...thank you making a big deal out of it.  ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Tommy Questions the Coaching
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Tommy is fiercely loyal to the guys who got us here, and he has harped on Sam from day one.  Obviously Sam has been hit or miss, but management brought him in to play in the playoffs.  He's gonna play.
Yup

Re: Tommy Questions the Coaching
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Anyone watching the postgame show?  Tommy thinks what is hurting the Celtics is that they changed the chemistry of the team by inserting Sam into the backup role when he plays a different style from what the team played all season long.  Sam walks the ball up and doesn't always get anyone involved, while House pushed the ball up every possession and set up the offense, moved the ball and would also pass the ball up the court if a teammate was ahead of him, just like Rondo does. But Sam comes in and plays a totally different game that made the Celtics successful during the regular season, walking the ball up slowly, allowing Cleveland to set their defense and not moving the ball.  Remember, Tommy was not happy that they got Sam in the first place and warned of chemistry disruption. 

Tommy is just not happy with the way the rotation has switched up for the playoffs.  He also wondered why Big Baby was suddenly in the game when he really hasn't played and Powe only got 6 minutes.

Tommy is just reading this blog and stealing my comments that I have posted on here since before we officially signed Sam. I think I'd sue the guy for plagerism if I could only spell it! Maybe I am actually Tommy...

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
The series is 2-2 and Lebron has not even had a transcendent game yet.  And you have to think he is probably good for one of those in this series.  What if it happens in Game 5, which is did last year for him in the conference finals v. the Pistons?

This was a game that was winnable and Doc made several confusing decisions with his rotations in the 3rd and 4th quarter that I think further disrupted the Celtics. 

Now terrible shot-taking and shot-making did not help either.  But Doc did not put them in a good position to win.  If you think coaches matter in the NBA, which I do, then you can't just look at outcomes and judge coaches on the basis of that.  The question is the relative gain or loss a team gets from the coach.  Tonight, with Doc, it was a net loss.  By a lot.

Is 2-2 a tie?  Let me check my math?

Best of 3 with home court advantage.  If I'm breaking the tie I'm giving it to the Celtics?  How is Doc losing this series. Man, oh man.

Re: Doc's Rotation Management/Tommy Questions the Coaching (merged)
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why not let KG got he entire 2nd half?  They got two days off coming up.

They saved his minutes all year. Why not cash some of that in on the road to put a team in a 3-1 hole heading to Boston?

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »

Offline Knox Harrington

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • Video Artist
Playing Big Baby in the 4th quarter came totally out of left field.  Big Baby's good for a rookie, but playing him in a high pressure playoff game on the road in the fourth quarter?  That makes no sense at all. 

I also agree that TA deserves more time.  I'm not sure I want him in there near the end of the game, but he'd seriously help the defensive intensity at other points in the game.

I'm glad House has not been playing in the fourth.  He's not a good crunch time player.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Leon Powe playing only six minutes is shocking.  But at least the Celtics match up much better with the slower and older Cavs than they did with the Hwaks --  ::)