Author Topic: We go Away from KG in Post We Lose  (Read 5230 times)

We go Away from KG in Post We Lose
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
How did we once again stop going away from KG in the post?! He was very effective in the first quarter doing that while no one else could get in a rhythm. In the 2nd half he took 2 shots from the post. That is ridiculous! If we continue to not use this mismatch we will have a problem. This was our game to win. I guess it is time to saddle it up and be glad we have home court!

Re: We go Away from KG in Post We Lose
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
doc puttin to much faith in ray...

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
to be fair, KG caught 4-6 passes in the low post in the last 5 minutes, and decided a fall away jumper was his best option.

Did you see the play where it was him vs. delonte from 5 feet out on a mismatch? he kicked it out. he rams that ball down delonte's throat, delonte has to foul. KG disappeared in the 4th, he took fall away after fall way. Not sure how much of that is doc's fault, and how much is KG's, but somebody screwed the pooch.

Of bigger concern to me is, why is paul not driving the lane, and hasn't since the Atlanta series? Call me crazy, but i think that back is worse than they let on, he looks stiff to me, and very tentative to go to the hole. he also continues to brick free throws while pulling out of his crouch early.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
This is absolutely correct. Almost every offensive possesion should go through him. Paul can cut to the basket, Ray can spot up, Rondo can swing the ball or drive, and anybody can rebound on the weak side. Garnett is our best offensive player, period. He needs the ball on virtually every possesion.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
they looked old and tired at the end of that game...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I counted numerous offensive sets down the stretch where KG could not get position because of Varejao and the Cavs interior defense. It's not like we can just throw it to him and it's an automatic 2 points, there were times he was getting double and triple teamed as soon as he touched the ball.

It's not as big of a mismatch as I thought going into this game, they can stop KG inside so long as Pierce keeps making poor decisions on the perimeter and Allen and Rondo remain ice cold with their jump shots. And that's been our M.O. on the road all playoffs long.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
Ray isn't forcing shots like Paul.

Paul is the issue tonight missing 11 shots and Cassell going 0-5.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
to be fair, KG caught 4-6 passes in the low post in the last 5 minutes, and decided a fall away jumper was his best option.

Did you see the play where it was him vs. delonte from 5 feet out on a mismatch? he kicked it out. he rams that ball down delonte's throat, delonte has to foul. KG disappeared in the 4th, he took fall away after fall way. Not sure how much of that is doc's fault, and how much is KG's, but somebody screwed the pooch.

Of bigger concern to me is, why is paul not driving the lane, and hasn't since the Atlanta series? Call me crazy, but i think that back is worse than they let on, he looks stiff to me, and very tentative to go to the hole. he also continues to brick free throws while pulling out of his crouch early.

You're right about the post on Delonte, but absolutely wrong about your "fall away after fall away" in the 4th quarter. He only took 2 shots the entire 4th quarter and 3 in the 3rd. You can't have the best mismatch on the floor getting 5 shots in the second half. Especially when Ray only took 1 in the 4th. The wrong people are taking the shots in clutch time. Sam had as many as KG and Ray combined in the 4th. Of course missing all three.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
This is absolutely correct. Almost every offensive possesion should go through him. Paul can cut to the basket, Ray can spot up, Rondo can swing the ball or drive, and anybody can rebound on the weak side. Garnett is our best offensive player, period. He needs the ball on virtually every possesion.

but most of the possesions DID pass through KG at some point, and he kicked it out or took a fallaway. now how much of that is doc running screens that KG is passing out to and how much is KG, i don't know. But the ball did go to KG in those last minutes, it just as quickly left via the fadeaway or kick out though.

Time to suck it up and win in boston. Playing with fire, 3 games we held lebron to less than 25 points, and only 2-1 to show for it.

Heres hoping the boys come out ready to defend homecourt.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:15 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Varejo kicked KG's butt in the 4th qtr. Disgusting! Maybe KG is a loser along with Ray Allen and Awww Never mind. Maybe we should have taken Jainlain with the 5th round pick and traded Paul Pierce for more f----- draft picks.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I counted numerous offensive sets down the stretch where KG could not get position because of Varejao and the Cavs interior defense. It's not like we can just throw it to him and it's an automatic 2 points, there were times he was getting double and triple teamed as soon as he touched the ball.

It's not as big of a mismatch as I thought going into this game, they can stop KG inside so long as Pierce keeps making poor decisions on the perimeter and Allen and Rondo remain ice cold with their jump shots. And that's been our M.O. on the road all playoffs long.

I agree for the most part. But I think they are stopping KG in the post no matter what.  He's just not strong enough to hold position against Varejao or back him down.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »

Offline Hondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
It's more then just going to him.  He needs to think about scoring first when he catches it there and not trying to get doubled and make the pass.  I don't care if he fades or not.  He is better at shooting a fade-away then going to the rim, but he needs to shoot more.  I don't know why anyone would bother to double him at this point and that needs to change.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I agree for the most part. But I think they are stopping KG in the post no matter what.  He's just not strong enough to hold position against Varejao or back him down.

#1 he isn't being given the ball with the floor spread so he can take Varaejo to the basket which is the teams fault, not his. # 2 He should be facing and shooting over Side Show Bob if he is just going to keep his feet planted.  His agressiveness to take it to the rim is what was missing.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Varejo kicked KG's butt in the 4th qtr. Disgusting! Maybe KG is a loser along with Ray Allen and Awww Never mind. Maybe we should have taken Jainlain with the 5th round pick and traded Paul Pierce for more  draft picks.

i'd edit that post to remove what i didn't quote quick  ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

They need to do more to get him in the low post. 

That includes feeding him quicker.

Using the other big to set screens for him on the weakside to get him better position on the strong side. 

But in general, there is not enough getting the ball inside on offense.  Not enough making the Cleveland defense react.