Author Topic: Hero shots  (Read 3522 times)

Hero shots
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I liked the part of the broadcast when Doc was talking about "Hero shots" and then it showed Rondo jacking up a 3 pointer and Doc getting on him that it was a hero shot.....

Considering that Rondo has had the most shot attempts the past 2 games, I think his head is getting too big...

He has to realize that he has 3 All-stars on the team and that he is not an All-Star....his job is to get the ball into their hands at the right spots to score....

I honestly think at this point, Doc needs to bench him.... I say start Sam Cassell on road games.... and play House for crying out loud....

Re: Hero shots
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Rondo was better than Sam tonight.  I thought Rondo didn't play enough.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Sam was not helpful tonight. Not a bit.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
mabey doc should have a talk with sam about hero shots, considering he killed 5 possesions tonight at least with a awful shot 5 seconds into the possesion.

Also, on that 3 that rondo got in trouble for, ray kicked it to him with 3 on the clock, what was he supposed to do? take the shot clock violation?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:31 PM »

Offline bosoxfan808

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
the only reason rondo took that was because he passed up a wide open three pointer 5 seconds earlier and felt pressure to make up for the fact that he didn't have the confidence to take the wide open look off the catch like he is supposed to.

Doc kept sam in the game one time-out too long in the 4th and kept Garnet out of the 4th far too long as well. IMO Doc kills himself when he gets into the mode where he feels he has to rest his starters for an exact amount of time every game. He also doesn't have to balls to yank sam when he should

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I liked the part of the broadcast when Doc was talking about "Hero shots" and then it showed Rondo jacking up a 3 pointer and Doc getting on him that it was a hero shot.....

Considering that Rondo has had the most shot attempts the past 2 games, I think his head is getting too big...

He has to realize that he has 3 All-stars on the team and that he is not an All-Star....his job is to get the ball into their hands at the right spots to score....

I honestly think at this point, Doc needs to bench him.... I say start Sam Cassell on road games.... and play House for crying out loud....

Bench Rondo?  Bench the young, impressionable, talented, rough-around-the-edges point guard?  It seems to me that he is one of the only ones trying to make some plays.  He did take a few too many jumpers, but played a good overall game tonight.  We need to give him more confidence - not less.  Benching him would be a very negative thing for this team.  You watch...you'll be kissing his butt in a week.  
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
mabey doc should have a talk with sam about hero shots, considering he killed 5 possesions tonight at least with a awful shot 5 seconds into the possesion.

Also, on that 3 that rondo got in trouble for, ray kicked it to him with 3 on the clock, what was he supposed to do? take the shot clock violation?
He had KG wide one the baseline, Varejao was wayyyy off him.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
tough read to make with 3 on the clock don't ya think? even if he reacts at super speed the ball probley gets to KG with 1 second left, and KG doesn't exactly have ray allens release time.

anyway, The point is i find it funny doc rides him for that after he carried us for 5 minutes offensively while pierce and kg were cold, then puts in sam and proceeds to give him the long leash while he shots us out of possessions early in the clock, not moving the ball at all.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
tough read to make with 3 on the clock don't ya think? even if he reacts at super speed the ball probley gets to KG with 1 second left, and KG doesn't exactly have ray allens release time.

anyway, The point is i find it funny doc rides him for that after he carried us for 5 minutes offensively while pierce and kg were cold, then puts in sam and proceeds to give him the long leash while he shots us out of possessions early in the clock, not moving the ball at all.

I see what you mean, I'll live with him hoisting up a 3 once in a while over Sam coming in and completely destroying any flow we gain offensively. I for one was a fan of the Sam signing when it went down, because I atleast thought Sam was a better offensive player than Rajon, but so far he hasn't proved that to me. He also has had a tough time fitting in with this team, he's just jacking up shots. Part of this falls back on Doc, I for one think he's scared of playing Eddie more because Sam would start complaining for more playing time. I think our offense had a little more punch to it before Sam came along because Eddie didn't pound the ball as much and could make a good portion of the shots he took (and actually wanted to push the ball once in a while). Sam sure is looking every bit of 38 years right now.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:24:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
yep, count me in the same boat, i assumed doc would use sam as a quick guy to hit shots, and pull him when he was cold. I also assumed on the nights sam was cold, Doc would use eddie.

But instead doc has decided that the bench doesn't need ball movement it needs sam to post up guards.

i mean, i was cool with sam for 6 minutes a night, not 20. Where did THAT come from all of the sudden?

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rondo played well tonight.  Not great. 

He took the most shots because he was the one that was open. 

But Rondo is making the offense go.  He is creating the pace.  He is getting into the paint.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Start Sam? Um, Sam has shot 0-11 during the two losses in Cleveland, and he's still always looking for his shot first out there. Rondo did not do his job tonight as well as he should but at least he was more effective at PG than that, plus he plays defense. Sam is all about the hero shot, even when he's ice cold, his teammates need to get going and Gibson is having his way with him at the other end.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
yep, count me in the same boat, i assumed doc would use sam as a quick guy to hit shots, and pull him when he was cold. I also assumed on the nights sam was cold, Doc would use eddie.

But instead doc has decided that the bench doesn't need ball movement it needs sam to post up guards.

i mean, i was cool with sam for 6 minutes a night, not 20. Where did THAT come from all of the sudden?

I told you so!!! Sorry. Had to say it. I spent 9 pages getting ripped apart because I was afraid that House would be shelved and Sam would get more and more minutes. Everyone said I was crazy. It looks like Doc was... Sam still only has about 3 games total worth of good minutes in his whole Celtic career. None of those involved anything but shooting. No defense. No ball movement... Bad pickup.