Author Topic: You Can't Win the Championship with a Team Full of Chokers.  (Read 9490 times)

Re: You Can't Win the Championship with a Team Full of Chokers.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 09:22:19 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
howie - wonder if that intense practice they had the other day tired them down?

This was my intial thought when I read about the intense practice.  The Celtics are not a young team. 

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I’ve been a dedicated Celtics fan since 1979 when the “Legend” inked his contract.  The real Celtics fan knows that we had it real good during the era of the original “Big 3”.  After Bird retired there were a few positive periods where the team was considered competitive.  I think that lost to the Hornets in the playoffs was the start of a declining Celtics era.   Then we lost Reggie Lewis who to me was the last Celtic who I admired, respected and appreciated his game.  The Pitino, Pierce and Walker era was a time for hope, but I could never truly get behind those guys because although talented(?) they just never had the mental or intellectual focus needed.  Pierce at times was a horse and carried this team, but he was never someone I could put my faith in to get it done, because when he had it going he would always try to do more than what was necessary.  Walker really was a joke, he fooled everyone into thinking he had game and we wanted to believe in the hype, but he never fulfilled his potential and we see where’s he at now?  I’m not a fair weather fan, even when we were at our lowest, losing 18 straight last year I still wore the Celtics Green, so needless to say when we dropped to the fifth pick in the draft I felt like I was kicked in the groin, but before I lapsed into a deep depression the big trades were made and the word Hope entered my vocabulary again.  This leads me to the current day Celtics.  With the Big 3 in place with KG as the anchor I knew we’d be much better, I didn’t have immediate Championship aspirations; I knew we’d need a few more pieces.  We added House and Posey and I said ok, upgrades to the perimeter game and I knew Posey was a defensive stopper.  They got out the gate fast and raised everyone’s expectation; they pretty much cruised through the first half of the season.  But as much as I enjoyed the success I could see a lot of flaws with the Big 3. Adding Cassell and Brown was a good move; I wanted the veteran leadership on the bench for the playoffs.  Having watched Pierce on a regular basis I knew what he would bring to the table, so my main focus was on Allen and Garnett.  By mid-season I was relatively disappointed with Allen, I didn’t see the fire or aggression of a veteran all-star, he plays like Jiri Welsch with a better shot (Soft).  There isn’t one game this whole season when he carried the team, yes!  He hit key baskets at times and has gone on mini-runs but he never came out the gate blazing and carried us, not one game.  Now we’re in the playoffs and he is basically a no-show, he’s got me to the point where I’d rather give TA a shot of shutting down Wally and even with the many flaws TA has I know the effort and the ability to drive to the hole will be increased.  Wally, who is more fragile than Humpty Dumpty is out playing Ray Ray on both ends of the floor, ridiculous.  Now onto KG, you may find this a blasphemous statement but it’s based on what I’ve seen and witnessed throughout the year and being a Bird fan a standard has been established.  We have been brainwashed by every media outlet, coach, players and fan that this guy is the next coming.   STOP THE MADNESS!!!  He is an above average player.  He is a genius however, because he coned us by coming across as Mr. Teammate, saying all the right things, this is Paul’s team, it’s the three of us, and it’s all about defense.  Well, if you read between the lines what he was truly saying is I can’t carry a team by myself, look at my history.  The only time my team was significant was when I had guys around me (Cassell, Sprewell).  And even then I couldn’t get it done.  Now in Boston I’m the face of the franchise and everyone thinks I’m the best thing since sliced bread, I even fooled the NBA into naming me defensive player of the year, ha ha got you again.   Half way into the season I realized this guy’s game was much flawed, he has a suspect post game, his handle is shaky at best and all his yelling, cursing and physical antics serves as a distraction.  It sells tickets, merchandise and obviously gets him commercials, but his presence on the court should seriously be questioned.  Let’s forget the regular season, that’s too far in the past.  We’ll deal with an eleven game playoff run.  Our front court was totally outplayed by the Hawks front court.  They featured J. Smith, A. Holford and M. Williams and yet Garnett could get nothing done in Atlanta, when did he dominate?  When has the “Defensive Player of the Year” stopped someone, J. Smith look like an All-Star in Atlanta.  Holford didn’t back down either even ZaZa played him straight up and got their shots.  In game six in Atlanta in the last three minutes of the game, Garnett played scared, they throw the ball into the post several times and as soon as he was bumped he’d kick it back out.  His post game is below average at best.  I think if you were to look at his numbers, his FG percentage probably gets lower the closer he gets to the basket, because he doesn’t like the contact, he rather settle for the 15 to 18 footer.  Dirk goes to the hole stronger.  Fortunately, we survived and now face Cleveland.  Wallace, James and Z!  When has Garnett dominated?  He had a good game one, but while Z was hitting 8 for 8 why didn’t the defensive player of the year shut him down?  No team is afraid to go to the hole against us, Atlanta took a clear path and Cleveland is starting to realize it’s not that difficult.  We have three flawed All-Stars leading this team and if the bench isn’t up to par we suffer, not one of them has carried us in any of the playoff games, yes they’ve made the sacrifices but I think they have because they know they don’t have the ability to get it done on their own.  Needed to vent...

There's a lot of good stuff in here, but nobody is going to read it.  Why?  It's intimidating and hard to read.

People love paragraphs.  Generally, to keep one's attention, there should be no more than three sentences before a line break.

I'm not trying to be a busy-body; rather, I'm just trying to help you not get lost in the shuffle.  You added a lot of good insight.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I’ve been a dedicated Celtics fan since 1979 when the “Legend” inked his contract.  The real Celtics fan knows that we had it real good during the era of the original “Big 3”.  After Bird retired there were a few positive periods where the team was considered competitive.  I think that lost to the Hornets in the playoffs was the start of a declining Celtics era.   Then we lost Reggie Lewis who to me was the last Celtic who I admired, respected and appreciated his game.  The Pitino, Pierce and Walker era was a time for hope, but I could never truly get behind those guys because although talented(?) they just never had the mental or intellectual focus needed.  Pierce at times was a horse and carried this team, but he was never someone I could put my faith in to get it done, because when he had it going he would always try to do more than what was necessary.  Walker really was a joke, he fooled everyone into thinking he had game and we wanted to believe in the hype, but he never fulfilled his potential and we see where’s he at now?  I’m not a fair weather fan, even when we were at our lowest, losing 18 straight last year I still wore the Celtics Green, so needless to say when we dropped to the fifth pick in the draft I felt like I was kicked in the groin, but before I lapsed into a deep depression the big trades were made and the word Hope entered my vocabulary again.  This leads me to the current day Celtics.  With the Big 3 in place with KG as the anchor I knew we’d be much better, I didn’t have immediate Championship aspirations; I knew we’d need a few more pieces.  We added House and Posey and I said ok, upgrades to the perimeter game and I knew Posey was a defensive stopper.  They got out the gate fast and raised everyone’s expectation; they pretty much cruised through the first half of the season.  But as much as I enjoyed the success I could see a lot of flaws with the Big 3. Adding Cassell and Brown was a good move; I wanted the veteran leadership on the bench for the playoffs.  Having watched Pierce on a regular basis I knew what he would bring to the table, so my main focus was on Allen and Garnett.  By mid-season I was relatively disappointed with Allen, I didn’t see the fire or aggression of a veteran all-star, he plays like Jiri Welsch with a better shot (Soft).  There isn’t one game this whole season when he carried the team, yes!  He hit key baskets at times and has gone on mini-runs but he never came out the gate blazing and carried us, not one game.  Now we’re in the playoffs and he is basically a no-show, he’s got me to the point where I’d rather give TA a shot of shutting down Wally and even with the many flaws TA has I know the effort and the ability to drive to the hole will be increased.  Wally, who is more fragile than Humpty Dumpty is out playing Ray Ray on both ends of the floor, ridiculous.  Now onto KG, you may find this a blasphemous statement but it’s based on what I’ve seen and witnessed throughout the year and being a Bird fan a standard has been established.  We have been brainwashed by every media outlet, coach, players and fan that this guy is the next coming.   STOP THE MADNESS!!!  He is an above average player.  He is a genius however, because he coned us by coming across as Mr. Teammate, saying all the right things, this is Paul’s team, it’s the three of us, and it’s all about defense.  Well, if you read between the lines what he was truly saying is I can’t carry a team by myself, look at my history.  The only time my team was significant was when I had guys around me (Cassell, Sprewell).  And even then I couldn’t get it done.  Now in Boston I’m the face of the franchise and everyone thinks I’m the best thing since sliced bread, I even fooled the NBA into naming me defensive player of the year, ha ha got you again.   Half way into the season I realized this guy’s game was much flawed, he has a suspect post game, his handle is shaky at best and all his yelling, cursing and physical antics serves as a distraction.  It sells tickets, merchandise and obviously gets him commercials, but his presence on the court should seriously be questioned.  Let’s forget the regular season, that’s too far in the past.  We’ll deal with an eleven game playoff run.  Our front court was totally outplayed by the Hawks front court.  They featured J. Smith, A. Holford and M. Williams and yet Garnett could get nothing done in Atlanta, when did he dominate?  When has the “Defensive Player of the Year” stopped someone, J. Smith look like an All-Star in Atlanta.  Holford didn’t back down either even ZaZa played him straight up and got their shots.  In game six in Atlanta in the last three minutes of the game, Garnett played scared, they throw the ball into the post several times and as soon as he was bumped he’d kick it back out.  His post game is below average at best.  I think if you were to look at his numbers, his FG percentage probably gets lower the closer he gets to the basket, because he doesn’t like the contact, he rather settle for the 15 to 18 footer.  Dirk goes to the hole stronger.  Fortunately, we survived and now face Cleveland.  Wallace, James and Z!  When has Garnett dominated?  He had a good game one, but while Z was hitting 8 for 8 why didn’t the defensive player of the year shut him down?  No team is afraid to go to the hole against us, Atlanta took a clear path and Cleveland is starting to realize it’s not that difficult.  We have three flawed All-Stars leading this team and if the bench isn’t up to par we suffer, not one of them has carried us in any of the playoff games, yes they’ve made the sacrifices but I think they have because they know they don’t have the ability to get it done on their own.  Needed to vent...

There's a lot of good stuff in here, but nobody is going to read it.  Why?  It's intimidating and hard to read.

People love paragraphs.  Generally, to keep one's attention, there should be no more than three sentences before a line break.

I'm not trying to be a busy-body; rather, I'm just trying to help you not get lost in the shuffle.  You added a lot of good insight.

Good call Hack-mann...I totally skipped over that post like Fat Albert skips the salad bar, it was way too much work to attempt to read it, I think there were some exclamations in there, but that's all I got out of it - its funny, I've taken some history courses where they always say restrict your use of block quotes (usually anything more than 3 lines) b/c everyone just skips them
When you love life, life loves you right back