Author Topic: You Can't Win the Championship with a Team Full of Chokers.  (Read 9433 times)

Re: You Can't Win the Championship with a Team Full of Chokers.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
fans who are givin up now jus became fans cause of kevin...where we were last year to how far we have come this year you would be happy and enjoy the ride..we are doin good..

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

Offline Knox Harrington

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • Video Artist
Great attitude. ::)

Fans giving up on a 2-2 series.

I'm not giving up.  I still like the team and the players.

The inability to close the other team out has been a recurring problem throughout the season however.  The Celtics are a great team when they can put the other team away by the third period.  They're not a good team at all when it's a close game in the fourth quarter, hence the 8-9 record this year when trailing after three.

Everyone on the team tightens up, the team stops moving the ball, and we usually get a bad 3-pointer with the shot clock running down. 

Pierce is probably the best of the Big Three in these situations, but as we all know he has a tendency to drive into the middle of the lane and get stripped or commit a charge.  Rondo will probably be an awesome closeout player in a couple years, but he's just not there yet.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »

Offline celticjames24

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • I'm Green for Life!!!
This is going to sound extremely negative. And I've got every right to be, I'm not quite 19 yo yet and I've been a C's fan since I was 4. I've seen all the struggles and all the hardships. And the limited good times. I watched this team be the best in the NBA overall and the best on the road in the regular season (31-10 on the road). They are now 0-5 on the road in the playoffs. Enough of this b.s. about not having played together in the playoffs. I'm tired of hearing excuses. The Celtics have just flat out been out-played when they have gone on the road during the playoffs. They have shown little heart as a team, they give up easy uncontested shots, they don't rotated defensively as quickly, two of our superstars Ray Allen and Paul Pierce have completed disappeared on the road, and so has the bench. Doc hasn't done a great job coaching. This team has just played well at home, I'm sorry but championship teams win on the road and especially at home. Well we've only got one part of that covered.
This team needs to reassert itself in Game 5 Wed night by playing hard, team D. Getting all 3 superstars involved. I mean really involved. None of them should have less than 15 points. KG needs to have a double-double. Rondo needs to play more like he did in Game 1. The bench needs to step up. And the crowd needs to be at its best. Because right now Game 5 is crucial. We win and we will probably advance with either a win in Cleveland in Game 6 or a Game 7 home win. Hopefully this series ends in 6 with Boston coming out on top. However they need to find their road presence.
And this is the best way how. Rondo needs to be in defender/distributor mode. Locking down the West/Gibson well making sure the Boston Three Party, Posey, Powe, Brown, and Cassell get there shots. He should never be the guy leading the C's in shots taking like he was tonight. Pierce and Allen need to attack the hoop from the opening tip, because easy lay-ups and free throws will help them get a rhythm. KG just needs to keep doing his thing, I'll take 15 and 9 but not the no scoring in the fourth quarter. Perk needs to play hard, foul free defense so he can compliment Garnett in the post and on D. Then the bench, Posey, Powe, Brown, Cassell (in that order for subbing) need to step up and do what they do best. The only one playing respectable ball consistently on the road is Posey. Powe needs to hit the boards and get easy put backs, Brown needs to grab boards, play some D, and hit that short jumper of his, and Cassell needs to find his big kahunas on the road and start knocking down some shots. He has probably been the most frustrating bench guy to watch on the road, because for all of his experience and clutch shooting which were the reasons we brought him here, they seem to disappear on the road. This needs to end, and it will in Game 5 with the C's taking a series lead, and then in Game 6 with the road slump breaking and the C's winning this series.
Once a Celtics fan, always a Celtics fan. Celtics4Life!

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »

Offline Knox Harrington

• The Green Kornet
  • Video Artist

no surprise, check out the threads after 2-2 and 3-3 to the hawks. bibby, it seems, was right about some people.  ::)

Celtics have been my team for 30 years now, so I'm not about to give up on them.

But I do think the team this year lacks that cold-blooded player who can step up and just take the game away from the other team.  If we do manage to get past Cleveland, it's still going to be tough.

I think we'll beat Detroit.  But the Lakers, Spurs, and Hornets will all be extremely tough.  The Lakers and the Spurs are better coached, and they have assassins in Bryant and Duncan.  And Chris Paul's unstoppable if the Hornets make it.

It's disappointing, but I don't think this is the year for the Cs.  My hope for next year is that Rondo becomes that clutch player we need -- he looks like he has it in him.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The inability to close the other team out has been a recurring problem throughout the season however.  The Celtics are a great team when they can put the other team away by the third period.  They're not a good team at all when it's a close game in the fourth quarter, hence the 8-9 record this year when trailing after three.

Everyone on the team tightens up, the team stops moving the ball, and we usually get a bad 3-pointer with the shot clock running down. 

Pierce is probably the best of the Big Three in these situations, but as we all know he has a tendency to drive into the middle of the lane and get stripped or commit a charge.  Rondo will probably be an awesome closeout player in a couple years, but he's just not there yet.

I'm not giving up, but I'm not happy...the offense disappeared at key points this game - while Cleveland can do that to you we have the horses to win. 

PS Tommy Point to Knox Harrington for the name and occupation - You remember Uli?

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18

I agree that Rondo has it in him, but I think he's a good 3/4 years away from having the confidence to be THAT GUY.  Plus, he needs to learn how to get to the line when he penetrates.  He shys from the contact, leaving his shot open for the block, and putting himself out of position to finish around the rim... but he's getting better.

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »

Offline Knox Harrington

• The Green Kornet
  • Video Artist

I'm not giving up, but I'm not happy...the offense disappeared at key points this game - while Cleveland can do that to you we have the horses to win. 

PS Tommy Point to Knox Harrington for the name and occupation - You remember Uli?

You mean Uli Kunkel of the techno band Autobahn?  Uuhhh. 

TP for the reference.  Uli's one of my favorite characters.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 12:26:13 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
we're not giving up...we're just questioning the heart of this team to FINISH out games on the road.

sorry if that makes us bad people, but following each game there is indeed a story line to tell...

the celtics have made that a pretty easy one to write, wouldn't you agree?

they don't look like a championship team right now...

that may be what your questioning andy, its clearly not what the OP was lol. ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 12:37:51 AM »

Offline RedsCeltics34

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Lets Go Celtics!
Cmon guys people cant be giving up in a 2-2 series, We have a better chance winning in Cleveland then they do winning in the Garden.

And what BASSTHUMPER said from where we were last year to were we are now, cmon guys this is ours.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 02:05:36 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
push the button everyone...

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 03:31:25 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Don't sell the farm quite yet.  They're clearly slumping but are still tied in a series against the defending East champs.  Not to mention Boston has home court.  There's plenty of time to turn things around - as we all know they are capable of. 
tp for you..very well said,like your positive outlook...need more of that around. ;D

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
i'm not a fair weather fan

i'm not a negative person

i just KNOW, i mean feel in my gut that this team will not win a championship.

is there any reason i should feel otherwise?

that team played tonight's game with no heart, KG included. he's a great basketball player. this is a talented team. but for all of KG's crazy facial expressions and "intensity" and all the talk about "team first" and "Celtic Tradition"...

they're showing me NOTHING.

sorry to all the glass is full people, but championship teams can win on the road, and they don't make you CRINGE when you're watching them.

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 06:19:09 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

sorry to all the glass is full people, but championship teams can win on the road, and they don't make you CRINGE when you're watching them.

well I guess Detroit's winning it all, because they're the only ones to win a road game in the quarterfinals.....and they won by 1, and Orlando had the last shot.... Celtics have to lose at home to be out of the playoffs, and even if they do (and I don't see it happening against Cleveland) you'll see a sense of urgency you haven't seen when it goes back to Cleveland... winning those 66 games is going to pay off for us, have a little faith
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 08:52:45 AM »

Offline CELTICS733

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
I’ve been a dedicated Celtics fan since 1979 when the “Legend” inked his contract.  The real Celtics fan knows that we had it real good during the era of the original “Big 3”.  After Bird retired there were a few positive periods where the team was considered competitive.  I think that lost to the Hornets in the playoffs was the start of a declining Celtics era.   Then we lost Reggie Lewis who to me was the last Celtic who I admired, respected and appreciated his game.  The Pitino, Pierce and Walker era was a time for hope, but I could never truly get behind those guys because although talented(?) they just never had the mental or intellectual focus needed.  Pierce at times was a horse and carried this team, but he was never someone I could put my faith in to get it done, because when he had it going he would always try to do more than what was necessary.  Walker really was a joke, he fooled everyone into thinking he had game and we wanted to believe in the hype, but he never fulfilled his potential and we see where’s he at now?  I’m not a fair weather fan, even when we were at our lowest, losing 18 straight last year I still wore the Celtics Green, so needless to say when we dropped to the fifth pick in the draft I felt like I was kicked in the groin, but before I lapsed into a deep depression the big trades were made and the word Hope entered my vocabulary again.  This leads me to the current day Celtics.  With the Big 3 in place with KG as the anchor I knew we’d be much better, I didn’t have immediate Championship aspirations; I knew we’d need a few more pieces.  We added House and Posey and I said ok, upgrades to the perimeter game and I knew Posey was a defensive stopper.  They got out the gate fast and raised everyone’s expectation; they pretty much cruised through the first half of the season.  But as much as I enjoyed the success I could see a lot of flaws with the Big 3. Adding Cassell and Brown was a good move; I wanted the veteran leadership on the bench for the playoffs.  Having watched Pierce on a regular basis I knew what he would bring to the table, so my main focus was on Allen and Garnett.  By mid-season I was relatively disappointed with Allen, I didn’t see the fire or aggression of a veteran all-star, he plays like Jiri Welsch with a better shot (Soft).  There isn’t one game this whole season when he carried the team, yes!  He hit key baskets at times and has gone on mini-runs but he never came out the gate blazing and carried us, not one game.  Now we’re in the playoffs and he is basically a no-show, he’s got me to the point where I’d rather give TA a shot of shutting down Wally and even with the many flaws TA has I know the effort and the ability to drive to the hole will be increased.  Wally, who is more fragile than Humpty Dumpty is out playing Ray Ray on both ends of the floor, ridiculous.  Now onto KG, you may find this a blasphemous statement but it’s based on what I’ve seen and witnessed throughout the year and being a Bird fan a standard has been established.  We have been brainwashed by every media outlet, coach, players and fan that this guy is the next coming.   STOP THE MADNESS!!!  He is an above average player.  He is a genius however, because he coned us by coming across as Mr. Teammate, saying all the right things, this is Paul’s team, it’s the three of us, and it’s all about defense.  Well, if you read between the lines what he was truly saying is I can’t carry a team by myself, look at my history.  The only time my team was significant was when I had guys around me (Cassell, Sprewell).  And even then I couldn’t get it done.  Now in Boston I’m the face of the franchise and everyone thinks I’m the best thing since sliced bread, I even fooled the NBA into naming me defensive player of the year, ha ha got you again.   Half way into the season I realized this guy’s game was much flawed, he has a suspect post game, his handle is shaky at best and all his yelling, cursing and physical antics serves as a distraction.  It sells tickets, merchandise and obviously gets him commercials, but his presence on the court should seriously be questioned.  Let’s forget the regular season, that’s too far in the past.  We’ll deal with an eleven game playoff run.  Our front court was totally outplayed by the Hawks front court.  They featured J. Smith, A. Holford and M. Williams and yet Garnett could get nothing done in Atlanta, when did he dominate?  When has the “Defensive Player of the Year” stopped someone, J. Smith look like an All-Star in Atlanta.  Holford didn’t back down either even ZaZa played him straight up and got their shots.  In game six in Atlanta in the last three minutes of the game, Garnett played scared, they throw the ball into the post several times and as soon as he was bumped he’d kick it back out.  His post game is below average at best.  I think if you were to look at his numbers, his FG percentage probably gets lower the closer he gets to the basket, because he doesn’t like the contact, he rather settle for the 15 to 18 footer.  Dirk goes to the hole stronger.  Fortunately, we survived and now face Cleveland.  Wallace, James and Z!  When has Garnett dominated?  He had a good game one, but while Z was hitting 8 for 8 why didn’t the defensive player of the year shut him down?  No team is afraid to go to the hole against us, Atlanta took a clear path and Cleveland is starting to realize it’s not that difficult.  We have three flawed All-Stars leading this team and if the bench isn’t up to par we suffer, not one of them has carried us in any of the playoff games, yes they’ve made the sacrifices but I think they have because they know they don’t have the ability to get it done on their own.  Needed to vent...
New York CELTIC, est. 1979

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »

Offline jluce

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
No offense to anyone putting how long they have been a fan, but I find it very comical. The fact that you are 45 and have been a fan since you have been in the womb doesn't make me respect your opinion anymore. That is just an example, I'm not talking to any one person in perticular. Just cracks me up that everyone needs to justify their response before they state anything, by making sure we all know how long you've loved the Celtics. I hear people do this on the radio all the time.

:o ;D