Author Topic: Game 4 is a must win game for the CELTICS  (Read 10916 times)

Re: Game 4 is a must win game for the CELTICS
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm shock more people don't see it my way.  But we all have our own opinion and i do respects everyone here.  That being said I think you guys are wrong if you say this is NOT a must win for Boston. I guess I see think a little differently then most.

Problem is, this is not a matter of opinion.  The phrase "must win" means by definition, if you lose, you cannot win the series.  That is factually not the case here, not something that can be debated.  Is it an important win?  Crucial? Any other set of synonyms which express how vital it is to their playoff health for them win?  Sure, but MUST means MUST, and since they can actually lose this game, just like the almighty Lakers, and the suddenly cooled off Hornets, and still come back home 2-2, maintaining home court advantage in the series, with 2 of the final 3 games at home, it by definition cannot be a must win. 

I think all Celts fans would feel alot better about their chances if they win tonight, but calling it MUST is not only factually inaccurate, it ignores the dynamic all 7 game series go through.  You think the Lakers and Hornets now will come out deflated on their home floor because they couldn't get a W on the road or will they be re-energized to be back home again for Game 5?  I guess we'll see, but players, unlike fans, are able to leave behind the previous game/s results and focus only on the current game to be played.  If the Celts do manage to lose tonight, I think they will have no problem ramping it up again at the Garden -- not be so deflated from Cleveland having held serve, just like Utah and San Antonio did, an outcome that happens very frequently in this round with the teams that are left -- such that there will not be any carryover from whatever happens in Cleveland.

It's a must win from the standpoint that Cleveland has a much better chance of winning 1 game in Boston then Boston has winning 1 game in Cleveland.  If Cleveland wins tonight they would be in the drivers seat because all they have to do is win only 1 game in Boston.  Plus they have another home game.  Celtics win tonight and they are clearly in the drivers seats.  I just feel that if the Cs lose tonight they will lose the series.  So to me this is a MUST WIN for the Celtics. 

Not to mention the fact that the longer the series goes the more pressure it will be on the Celtics.  All the pressure will shift with a win tonight.  By the way I think the Cs will lose tonight game. I have no faith in them winning a road game at this point. 

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 04:24:26 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I actually think the only games that are 'must win" games are the games in which you will be eliminated if you lose. That being said I think the Celtics should "treat" this game like it's an eliminaiton game, like it'a game seven.

Te reason is because if they win tonight, this series is over.

And great teams put away their oponents when the window is there. 

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
"By the way I think the Cs will lose tonight game. I have no faith in them winning a road game at this point."

I thought so, you are simply a pessimist, and now I'm O.K. with your "Must Win" position. Honestly, now I can now understand the illogic of tonight being a "Must Win" for the Celtics, which it isn't, by definition.

The series as it is at 2-1 is frightening because anything short of 3-0 at this point and fear sets in and the glass isn't even half full.

I honestly thank you, at helping me understand the kookooness of the participants on the boards, and I honestly don't mean any disrespect to anyones positions after one loss or the possibility of two and its meaning to some here.

Best regards~
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The fact is we know a lot more about how this team handles prosperity than we do about how they handle adversity.  They're ahead in the series so I can't see how this could be called a "must win".  We'd all like them to play with a deeper sense of urgency in these road games, but it doesn't take away the dominance they've shown at home.  Until they lose a home game they're always going to be one road win away from dominating a series.  We won't see a must win in the playoffs until they lose at home (and even then they will always be in the position to be one road win away from being back in the driver's seat).

Celts in 5.
Yup

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 05:25:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So let me get this straight, some people are saying that if the Celtics lose tonight that they would be worse off than the Cavs if the Cavs loose tonight.  Hmmm, let's see pick between being the team that is 2-2 and going home (that would be the Celtics if they lose) or the team that is down 1-3 and going to Boston to play a road game (that would be the Cavs if they lose).  It is pretty clear to me that I would much rather be the Celtics if they lose than the Cavs if the Cavs lose.  By defintion, not "must win" for either team but pretty close for the Cavs.

Wait, I forgot, I am getting confused, why are we debating this again?

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This is not a must win game for this series.

If they lose, game 5 is a must win game for this series.

But it is getting real close to a must win for the playoffs future.  Celtics need to show they can win on the road.  They need a good showing on the road.  They are feeding their opponents and they are feeding their own doubts. 

I don't like the Celtics chances if every series goes 7 games.  They are going to get picked off at home sooner or later. 

Thanks, wdleehi, for the post of the thread - you nailed it.

If the goal is to win this series, then I don't see how one could view this as a must win.  Lose tonight and the C's are still favored and are more likely than the Cav's to win the sereis.  The fact that the C's would still be in the drivers seat even with a loss would make this not a must-win for this series. 

However, the goal is not to win this series, but rather, to win a championship.  Given that backdrop, I could easily be talked into this being a must-win in the sense that another road loss will leave me highly dubious of them having any chance against Detroit, LA, NO, Utah or SA.  I would bet my left arm that we will lose a home game against any of those opponents and if we are incapabe of beating Atlanta or Cleveland in their home courts, we stand no chance against the others. 

Why is game 4 so important to the big picture? Well, simply put, there are no more excuses left.  They either can ramp up their game on the road or they can't, and if they can't do it tonight, I will lose all faith in their ability to win on the road.  Of course, I may well be saying the same thing before Game 6, but this is a chance to avoid 0-5 on the road and to put the doubts to rest for a while. Another road loss tonight just seems unsurmountable from a big picture standpoint (though I still think they'd be likely to win this series).

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With all the banter that is going on on both sides of this argument throughout this thread, I gotta give a TP to our esteemed Vice-Roy for his take on the subject that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Tonight's game is not a must win game for the Celtics in the determination of who will win this series, but it could be a must win game for the hopes of this team to have a shot at winning the whole thing.

Any team that is up in a playoff series never has a must win game. Must win games are only for teams that are losing in a 7 game series or tied going into the last game.

But if the Celtics have hopes of continuing to play long into June this really does measure up as a must win because there is no way they are going to win 16 straight home playoff games to win the championship. They need to prove to themselves, and only themselves, that they can win a road playoff game.

Honestly I could care less what the experts at ESPN, TNT, ABC, Celticsblog or anywhere else think of the Celtics ability to win a road playoff game. The Celtics have nothing to prove to them or us. But they need to prove to themselves that they are the team they have been all year and that the season's success does indeed transfer over to the postseason and that they are the best team in the league.

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
So let me get this straight CT34... Are you saying this is a MUST WIN game for the Celtics, or not?! I wasn't sure from your 15 posts... Kidding!

The only must win game for either team is a game where they are eliminated or they go home. We have 4 games to win 2 of them. I like our chances! They have to win 3 out of 4.

This is kind of like using a word like "awesome". If every little thing is awesome, then you kind of run out of words to step it up a notch. This is an important game, but not a must win. If Doc tells his players that it is a must win, and for some reason we don't, then what?! Does he say. Okay. Now this one REALLY is a must win. Then if they lose that one, game 6... I was just kidding. This REALLY REALLY is a must win.

Let's not oversell... Let's just win this IMPORTANT game.

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So let me get this straight CT34... Are you saying this is a MUST WIN game for the Celtics, or not?! I wasn't sure from your 15 posts... Kidding!

The only must win game for either team is a game where they are eliminated or they go home. We have 4 games to win 2 of them. I like our chances! They have to win 3 out of 4.

This is kind of like using a word like "awesome". If every little thing is awesome, then you kind of run out of words to step it up a notch. This is an important game, but not a must win. If Doc tells his players that it is a must win, and for some reason we don't, then what?! Does he say. Okay. Now this one REALLY is a must win. Then if they lose that one, game 6... I was just kidding. This REALLY REALLY is a must win.

Let's not oversell... Let's just win this IMPORTANT game.
Another TP. There can be only so many MUST WIN games during a season nevermind a playoff series. Four MUST WIN games every series gets a bit......redundant. Two MUST WIN games, when the team wins the first two games of the series, is rather overblown hyperbole. Don't you think?

The team will know when a game is a must win. But until then, if they just focus and perform during the important games, they may never have to ever play a must win game.

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
ok so the C's lost on the road...again.  now what?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I just don't like our mental toughness right now. Our opponents simply have more will power than us on our home court. I also think we lack the required athleticism and energy and coaching needed to win at this level. We may not make it past Cleveland and if we do, then Detriot is gonna finish us in 6 games at this rate.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just don't like our mental toughness right now. Our opponents simply have more will power than us on our home court. I also think we lack the required athleticism and energy and coaching needed to win at this level. We may not make it past Cleveland and if we do, then Detriot is gonna finish us in 6 games at this rate.

Um, Celtics have the will power on their home court and have yet to lose.

And as for this thread I don't care what anyone else thinks but I look at the facts. The only must win road game is after a home loss for a team with home court advantage.