Author Topic: Game 4 is a must win game for the CELTICS  (Read 10994 times)

Game 4 is a must win game for the CELTICS
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
First let me start out by saying I thought game 3 was a must win game for the Celtics for a number of reason.  One being you don't want to give the Cavs any hope in this series.  So this should come as no surprise that I feel that game 4 is an even bigger game for the Celtics.  This is a must win for the CELTICS.

Those who don't learn from history are doom to repeat it.  The Cavs have proven in play-off past that they can come back from being down 2-0.  If your the Celtics you don't want to go 2-2 vs. the Cavs.  The Cavs arent the Hawks because unlike the Hawks the Cavs can win a game in Boston.  Having the seires at 2-2 Cleveland would be in a position that they would be comfortable with. 

Let's say the Cavs win tonight game and then win game 5.  Do you think the Celtics can go into Cleveland and win game 6?  If so what have they shown any of us to think they can do so?

Let me remind you that the Cavs almost beat the Cs in game 1 and this was with Lebron having a very bad night.  So they know they can win a game in Boston.  I just can't say the same about the Celtics. That is why tonight game is a must win for the Celtics.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:36:31 AM by CT34 »

Re: Game 4 is a must win game for the CELTICS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Game 4 is a must win for Cleveland not Boston, PERIOD
We are more than capable than winning 2 out of 2 at home, Cleveland is not capable of coming back from 3-1 down.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Game 4 is a must win for Cleveland not Boston, PERIOD
We are more than capable than winning 2 out of 2 at home, Cleveland is not capable of coming back from 3-1 down.

That the reason why game 4 is a must win for the CELTICS! Like you said Cleveland is not capable of coming back from 3-1.  But what you failed to mention was that Cleveland is more then capable of winning a series that is 2-2. That is why the Celtics need to win tonight.  I'm sorry but you don't want this series going 2-2 if your a Celtics player, coach and fan.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Tonight would be a great night for our first road victory I agree.

I don't want Mr Chauncey getting any extra rest as well.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The only game that is a must win for the Celtics is game 6 if Cleveland wins the next 2. Let's not raise the bar so high that if we don't win you go insane!

Tonight is an IMPORTANT win due to the fact that if we win it we are pretty much guaranteed moving on to the next round. We do have homecourt however, so don't buy into this "we HAVE to win in Cleveland". It isn't true.

That being said we really ought to win tonight to dispel this myth we can't win on the road.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Tonight would be a great night for our first road victory I agree.

I don't want Mr Chauncey getting any extra rest as well.

That's another reason why tonight game is must win for the Celtics.  The Piston could end their series in game 5.  We don't want to give those guys any rest because that might just be the difference in winning or lossing the next round. The Celtics have to finish off the Cavs and they would take a big step forward towards doing that with a win tonight.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Yet another reason why tonight game is a MUST win for teh Celtics.  Look at the play-off road records for all the teams left in the play-offs.  At 3-2 the Piston along with the Jazz have the best road record.  So even if the Celtics loss all their road game and win all their home games this series.  The chances are the Piston will win 1 road game in the ECF.  I have zero confidence that the Cs an win any road games at this point which makes tonight game a MUST win.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Tonight is a must win for the Cavs, not the Celtics. 

Game 5 would be a must win for Boston if the series is tied 2-2

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
Tonight's game is big, no doubt.  But it certainly isn't a "must win."  The sooner we get rid of the road-win-Monkey squarely on the Cs' back, the better.  It's in the players' heads at this point, that's apparent.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Tonight is a must win for the Cavs, not the Celtics. 

Game 5 would be a must win for Boston if the series is tied 2-2

Let me get this right.  Tonight is a must win for the Cavs because they don't want to go down 3-1?  I agree with that point however game 4 is also a must win game for the Celtics too.  I think it's even bigger for the Celtics then the Cavs.  Why go into a game 5 having it a must win for the Cs where all the pressure would be on the Cs.  If the was to lose game 5 at home they would face a must win road game 6 and who of us would think they could win a road game at this point?  So no this is a must win game for the Celtics.  I sure hope the player feel that way and not the way you guys feel.  

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
So we all agree that if the Cs was to lose tonight then game 5 would be a must win for them because being down 3-2 going into Cleveland doesn't really look good for the Cs seeing how they have yet to win a road game.  Right?

So I don't see why you guys don't think tonight game is a must win for the Celtics? If you could please break it down for me other then "Tonight's a big game for the Cavs and not the Celtics"  Why isn't tonights game a MUST WIN for the CELTICS? 

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
CT34, I think you answered your own question.  You explained that if the Cs lose tonight, that sets up a high pressure game that IF we were to lose, THEN we would be in a must win situation.  So, your theory, in short, is that if the Cs lose tonight, then they are potentially staring down a REAL must win a couple games later.  That makes the "MUST-ness" of tonight's game a little too attenuated in my opinion. 

Still a big game though - like they all are at this point.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
CT34, I think you answered your own question.  You explained that if the Cs lose tonight, that sets up a high pressure game that IF we were to lose, THEN we would be in a must win situation.  So, your theory, in short, is that if the Cs lose tonight, then they are potentially staring down a REAL must win a couple games later.  That makes the "MUST-ness" of tonight's game a little too attenuated in my opinion. 

Still a big game though - like they all are at this point.

I think the games leading into to "must win" situation is actually the "must win" game.  Tonight game is a "REAL" must win game for the Celtics for a few reason and I will list them.

1. The Cavs have proven to win a series being down 2-0 with their first two loses coming on the road and then coming back to even the series 2-2 and taken the series in 6 games.  Which leads to my next point.

2. Celtics going up 3-1 makes game 5 not a Must Win game for the Celtics but a Must win game for the Cavs. If you lose tonight game, game 5 is a Must Win game for both teams.  The Cavs are going to look at game 5 has a must win because they know if the win game 5, they have all the confidence in the world that they can beat the Cs at Cleveland in game 6.

3. The Piston series will be over very soon and even if the Cs go on to win this series in 6 or 7 games have yet another series go 6 or 7 will catch up to the Cs in the next series.  The Celtics have to finish off the Cavs with-in 5 game in order to not give the Piston any advantage.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is not a must win game for this series.

If they lose, game 5 is a must win game for this series.

But it is getting real close to a must win for the playoffs future.  Celtics need to show they can win on the road.  They need a good showing on the road.  They are feeding their opponents and they are feeding their own doubts. 

I don't like the Celtics chances if every series goes 7 games.  They are going to get picked off at home sooner or later. 

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The Cs need to win their home games to win a championship.  Those are the must games.   Any road wins at this point will be an unexpected bonus.