Author Topic: Where is the defense on the road? Where is the leadership on the road?  (Read 17898 times)

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
All playoffs, both important aspects have gone missing. 

It makes no sense. 

Someone has to step up and lead this team on the road. 

The defense needs to get their arms and energy up on the road. 

Until this team does, they are not a title contender.  There are to many teams good enough to beat the Celtics in Boston.

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I thought Garnett was the leader.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
The person that is supposed to step up and lead this team is the coach.  If the players are have systematic trouble executing in a particular fashion or in a particular part of the game, it generally means one of two things.  First, the players need to be changed.  Second, for whatever reason, whether his fault or not, the coach is having trouble correctly instructing and motivating the players.

It is now four in a row on the road.  You can blame the players all you want, but these are the same players that are great at home.  Now you could argue in response that by the same logic Doc is also a great coach at home.  However, presuming that you are not willing to say these players are not hard workers, etc., etc., it is fundamentally the job of the COACH to motivate the players in difficult situations. 

Doc seems to be a great front-running coach, but he just seems terrible in difficult situations.  But that is just my perception. 

p.s. Is there any data on the Celtics record in close games in the Doc era (yes, I realize Game 3 was not close) compared with other coaches in the same time period?

Offline KeepDWest

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 24
where is the intensity?  we looked like we did not care about this game in the 1st quarter, it was disgusting . . we need to come out angry on monday
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:57:14 PM by wdleehi »
"and when I let them carry me to the cemetary i wanna be buried with a pocketful of clarity" - slug

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought Garnett was the leader.
When times are good. When times are bad ..... sometimes so mostly no. The quality of his play is still there when times are bad but I don't think the leadership is consistently there.

Pierce needs to be the leader. It's been that way all season, when times are tough they look to him. He needs to step it up and get better shots for everyone.

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Garnett is the leader and always plays hard.  But in adverse situations, it is the job of the COACH to help the team get through it.  That is, quite literally, what the coach makes the big bucks for.

where is the intensity?  we looked like we did not care about this game in the 1st quarter, it was disgusting . . we need to come out angry on monday

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's easy for me to say this now, but I'd be plenty happy with a split in Cleveland.  We got out-everythinged tonight by a desperate team.  I'm disconnected from the Atlanta series, so I'll reserve judgment on this road performance until after Game 4.

Still, none to pleased with the answers to the thread title after this one.
Yup

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The person that is supposed to step up and lead this team is the coach. 

Leaders have to be on the court. Coaches can only do so much. That's the reason why Dallas lost big games in the playoffs, because Avery Johnson was their only true leader.

The players have to step up and answer the call.

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The person that is supposed to step up and lead this team is the coach.  If the players are have systematic trouble executing in a particular fashion or in a particular part of the game, it generally means one of two things.  First, the players need to be changed.  Second, for whatever reason, whether his fault or not, the coach is having trouble correctly instructing and motivating the players.

It is now four in a row on the road.  You can blame the players all you want, but these are the same players that are great at home.  Now you could argue in response that by the same logic Doc is also a great coach at home.  However, presuming that you are not willing to say these players are not hard workers, etc., etc., it is fundamentally the job of the COACH to motivate the players in difficult situations. 

Doc seems to be a great front-running coach, but he just seems terrible in difficult situations.  But that is just my perception. 

p.s. Is there any data on the Celtics record in close games in the Doc era (yes, I realize Game 3 was not close) compared with other coaches in the same time period?

KG has been the leader all year on this team. They don't need Doc to motivate them. They win with defense and that intensity comes from KG. For some reason he can't seem to get them going on the road so far. That being said, this was the game you knew they were going to lose. No big deal. I will be much more upset if they come out like this on Monday.

I'm sure the players were sitting there tonight thinking " I sure wish that Doc gave me a reason to be into this game tonight. I know there must be some reason we're out here, but unless he tells us what it is I guess we'll just fool around." Give me a break!

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
But no player has come forward.  Now what?   

It seems to me that Doc has to do something--i don't know what but he has to do something.  The complete lack of focus and intensity of this team on the road has happened  too many times.

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

It seems to me that Doc has to do something--i don't know what but he has to do something.  The complete lack of focus and intensity of this team on the road has happened  too many times.

If the players won't step up then it is over. There is NOTHING that Doc can do if they won't do it themselves. What are you going to do if you are him. Rip them to the media?! Bench the starters?! Neither one of those results in a win. Doc can only do what he is doing. Back his guys and stress the importance of coming out with a certain attitude. If they don't then it is on them. He might get the blame, but it wouldn't be his fault. If you can't get up for the playoffs and the chance to keep moving on, then nothing Doc can say will instill that.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I just don't get how people say this was a game you know they were going to lose?  Why?  They are now 0-4 in the playoffs on the road.  Why isn't it possible for them to play with intensity on the road?  And this was no ordinary loss to night -- it was their WORST performance of the season.  How anyone can have any confidence after this game in terms of the Celtics winning on the road is beyond me.

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
we are a diffrent team on the road....scared and timid...we are said to be the best defensive team in the nba...if we do then we should be winning on the road..

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33

If the players won't step up then it is over. There is NOTHING that Doc can do if they won't do it themselves. What are you going to do if you are him. Rip them to the media?! Bench the starters?! Neither one of those results in a win. Doc can only do what he is doing. Back his guys and stress the importance of coming out with a certain attitude. If they don't then it is on them. He might get the blame, but it wouldn't be his fault. If you can't get up for the playoffs and the chance to keep moving on, then nothing Doc can say will instill that.
The playoff losses on the road have been team collapses, not just one or two key players sucking but a majority.  Everyone is accountable. I can only see and judge the results.   For all I know, Doc may doing the best a coach can do to prepare and motivate his players.  But I cannot assume that when the team (a veteran one at that with three superstars) is collapsing this badly on the road time and time again.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
we are a diffrent team on the road....scared and timid...we are said to be the best defensive team in the nba...if we do then we should be winning on the road..

You nailed it, Bass ... timid ... period (TP). These guys have got to forget the press, forget the hostile fans, forget all the "can't win on the road" crap, and just come out and PLAY! Play THEIR game, with their intensity and defense! Stop thinking too much and worrying about who does what ... just play, like they have all year ... go for it, and let everything else fade away. Focus on the GAME ... and enjoy it! Just dig down deep and rely on what has gotten them here: defense! The rest will take care of itself.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *