Author Topic: Who you play most like  (Read 17517 times)

Who you play most like
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Out of all the players in the NBA, who do you feel your game is most similar too, and why?

I think I was most similar to Rajon Rondo, until I joined a new league that is at a much higher level where I don't get to play the point.

In this new league I see myself as Bruce Bowen. I'm actually a slightly below average player in the league. I'm always guarding the best player on the other team, and contstantly try to frustrate them and make it hard for them. My team trusts me to guard the guy that averages 45PPG on one of the teams (he scored 28 on me, but who cares since we won).On offense, I'm pretty limited. I'm a very good passer, decent handles, not a good shooter but can hit an occasional shot if left open. But the main part of my game is my Defense.I'm pretty sure that's similar to Bowen, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I'd like to hear who some of you guys play like too, and what makes you like them.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: Who you play most like
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
current players, i'd probably go with gilbert arenas. i can play the point, but not to the point where i'm considered a playmaker. i always look for the pass but can create my own shot or drive to the basket and thrive in those end-game situations.

i put a lot of effort in on the defensive end though, which can't really be said for gilbert. i stay in front of my man and just pressure the ball handler at all times. a bit like rondo on the defensive end in that sense.

so, rajon arenas :D

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline dksidey

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
At this point I'm like Scal, but without the height, size, or ability to get a streak of shots to fall ;D...too much time behind a desk in these last couple of years.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Back in the day I'd say I tried to play like a very poor man's Charles Barkley.  I didn'thave fast break skills he had, but I could definitely use my size for rebounding and interior offense.  I could also get hot from the outside,  But really I loved being the "garbage man".  I loved the feeling of getting it in my head that "that rebound is mine and no one is going to get it".  With that mind set you can do wonders. I'd say of current players skill wise I'd definitely match up nicely with Big Baby.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »

Offline buddboy

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
  • KG. Beast. Warrior. Champion.
Hakeem Olajuwon. I'm tall, skinny (yeah, Hakeem wasn't skinny), and can get up there pretty darn good. I have just about all Hakeem's moves down. I've got the turnaround, the little shoulder-shimmy-turn-and-shoot, the jump hook, and then the skyhook. And I'm still growing, so I could be about 6'7, 6'8, maybe 6'9 when I'm done. I'm about 6'4, maybe 6'5.

I'm also like Redz said. Though I have a significant amount of offense, my real power is simply rebounding. That's the one thing I focus on all the time, that and defense. I just love rebounding, and the fact that it leads to points.

Looking forward to finally be healthy enough/able(I've had some obstacles not related to health) to try out for my highschool team next year.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I shoot 3's, have no midrange game, can get to the hoop, pretty good interior passing, can't jump, like to play d on guys bigger than me....Rodney Rogers? Dare I say, Antoine?  I also have a Sherman Douglas floater that I like to use (oh and I'm 5'9!)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am totally a tweener

so

Ryan GomesI like to post up i simply dont have the size to do it
I have excellent court vision
I can hit a 15 footer

enve tough

I am a little like Gerald without the athleticism... I can use a LOT of fundamentals out there
My natural sport talent  ;) ;D always save me and makes me elegible for teams but when real thing happends I teng to struggle because lack of fundamentals
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I shoot 3's, have no midrange game, can get to the hoop, pretty good interior passing, can't jump, like to play d on guys bigger than me....Rodney Rogers? Dare I say, Antoine?  I also have a Sherman Douglas floater that I like to use (oh and I'm 5'9!)

a giant earl boykins?  ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With people who have played with me a lot, and for a long time, they say my game most resembles, and has for years, a Kurt Rambis who could dribble and hit the occasional(and I'm being kind to myself) 20 footer. Of course this only applies if Kurt was six feet taller.

If some of the old timers can think of a modern player who's game resembles Rambis', please chime in. It's basically a game of a hard working brute that does the little things to help the team. Maybe a Leon Powe without the offense? Except I have a body that was much more suitable for football, my main playing sport, than basketball.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
With people who have played with me a lot, and for a long time, they say my game most resembles, and has for years, a Kurt Rambis who could dribble and hit the occasional(and I'm being kind to myself) 20 footer. Of course this only applies if Kurt was six feet taller.

If some of the old timers can think of a modern player who's game resembles Rambis', please chime in. It's basically a game of a hard working brute that does the little things to help the team. Maybe a Leon Powe without the offense? Except I have a body that was much more suitable for football, my main playing sport, than basketball.

I'm trying to think of a Rambis-like player, but it's hard to separate his looks from his play and compare just at that level.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
At this point I'm like Scal, but without the height, size, or ability to get a streak of shots to fall ;D...too much time behind a desk in these last couple of years.

That's what I was going to say: Scal without the outside shot.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

That's what I was going to say: Scal without the outside shot.

Roy Hobbs = Air Intangibles

It's a fit
Yup

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Everyone on my team tells me I'm like Tayshaun Prince. I look a bit frail out on the court, like anyone could push me around, but in reality I'm one of the most intense guys in the league, and I don't back down from anyone. My skinny 6'2 frame is probably my league's equivalent of Prince's 6'9 body. My wingspan probably beats my height by 4 inches, which is something Prince is known for as well. This makes me a pesky defender, and it also gives me the ability to make opponents wonder how exaclty I blocked that last shot. I can play a few different positions, including bringing the ball up occasionally if the team needs me too, but my handle is just okay. I take pride in guarding the best player on the other team, while typically adding 10 to 15 points of my own on most days. I get a lot of my points off of midrange floaters and tweener shots, but a have three-point range in my arsenal, too.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I play most like Delonte West. I am about 6'2 and played the point most of my life. I'm a lefty just like him and can shoot the 3 the little bit. He plays solid D but is not really that quick laterally on defense. He's a real hustle player as alot of us know and gets some blocks and steals during the course of a game.  I would say I just dont really have his driving ability and finishing ability but to me when I watch Delonte West i can really relate with the way he plays.  

The thing about Deltonte that is pretty cool too is that no one in the league really plays like him, he is a unique player.  I really loved his game the years he played with the Celts and would have loved to see him progress but Ray Allen is one of my all time favorites too being that I was a big UCONN fan growing up.

However in most of the leagues that I play in now I dont really get to play the point as much as I would like. I am usually playing a 3 or 4 position because of my size, about 6'2 200.  I dont mind banging down low unless that guys i am playing against really outsize me but the leagues I play in now dont really have too many guys over 6'5 so its not too much of a problem.  But my team definitely runs better when I am starting the offense and running the break.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
BBD....

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner