Author Topic: The new G.I. Joe movie = super lame  (Read 8702 times)

The new G.I. Joe movie = super lame
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My second favorite childhood cartoon was G.I. Joe; I absolutely loved it.  I even went so far as to buy all of the episodes of the show on dvd before they went out of production.  I was a little curious, then, to see what the new G.I. Joe movie that's currently in production was going to look like.

The results?  Terrible.  Horrific.  Pretty much the lamest looking characters I could imagine.

Here's some of the more prominent characters:

Destro (no mask?!):

Duke:

Heavy Duty:

Hawk:

Scarlett:

Snake Eyes:

And by far the lamest character design, Stormshadow:

And this guy (from Third Rock from the Sun) is playing Cobra Commander:

I don't know, maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but did they have to outfit all of G.I. Joe in black?  And did they have to give Storm Shadow coattails?  Or make Cobra Commander and Destro impossibly lame?  It's pretty stupid looking.

Or, there's this description from wikipedia:

Ten years in the future, the G.I. Joe team battles the evil Cobra Organization, run by a Scottish arms dealer. ... In terms of characterization, the focus will be on Scarlett and the Baroness's romantic lives

Oh, yeah.  And G.I. Joe is no longer American.  Instead, it's "A European-based military unit known as Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity (G.I.J.O.E.), a hi-tech, international force of special operatives."

I know, this is a nerdy post, and I take this stuff way too seriously, but I know a lot of you guys grew up with this too, so at least somebody has to be on the same page.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: The new G.I. Joe movie = super lame
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Real American Hero, European? 

Kills my want to see the movie.

I will just have to watch this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ueHzMwxt0

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I know, this is a nerdy post

dont be modest Roy.. ::)

And yes Cobra is lame. ;D
Snake eyes looks cool tough
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Sienna Rose Miller as the Baroness
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, I don't have too much of an issue with Snake Eyes.  The rest of them suck, though.  And yes, I'm stuck in the 80s.

G.I. Joe is American, and doesn't wear black (except for Snake Eyes).  And Destro is supposed to kick ass.  That's just how it is. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
I'm a fan too but don't think you could ever make a good GI JOE movie if it was true to the Comic/Cartoon. But I do think that Snake Eyes looks like he's suppose to.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Yeah, I don't have too much of an issue with Snake Eyes.  The rest of them suck, though.  And yes, I'm stuck in the 80s.

G.I. Joe is American, and doesn't wear black (except for Snake Eyes).  And Destro is supposed to kick ass.  That's just how it is. 

Arent we all?

destro should look like..

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Roy, I'm totally on the same page as you.  I LOVED GI Joe growing up, and just like you I've bought all the DVD's that came out, as well and bought all the comics a few years ago too (the comics actually tell a pretty good story for the most part, there are some lame stretches, but the comics gave me a combination of nostalgia and decent reading that kept me interested even as an adult, if you were a fan as a kid I would say the comics would still be a fun read as an adult).

A few weeks ago I was actually reading about the GI Joe Movie too, and was thinking about starting a thread here, but decided against it as my threads tend to die quickly.

Another thing (besides the corniness of some of the characters), was how can you have Heavy Duty but not Roadblock?  I always felt Roadblock was one of the main GI Joe characters.  (Per wikipedia "Common was offered the role of Heavy Duty's cousin Roadblock, although Bonaventura previously indicated Heavy Duty was being used in that character's stead.")

And how can you cast Marlon Wayans as Ripcord?  Ripcord was white!  I like Marlon Wayans as an actor, but GI Joe had such a diverse spread of ethnicities I feel this is completely unnecessary.  You can find another role for Marlon (although I don't think he would make a good Stalker, Roadblock, or Iceberg).  Is there going to be a white Quick Kick, or Asain Shipwreck too?

There is just so much potential for a GI Joe live action movie to be great, but so far I think the outlook is bleak.  I hope I'm eating my words though August 2009 when it's scheduled for release.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, I will say that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Cobra Commander, 3rd Rock) has actually become a pretty good actor...go rent "Brick" and check him out in that.  Not sure how he'll do in that role though.  As for Destro - well, I'm hoping its one of those "accident/incident midway through movie transforms him from regular looking evil guy to chrome-faced madman".

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
He could still have a mask in the movie. But you can't make a mask that looks just like the cartoon. That is unless you can find a metal that moves with his face and show emotions.

Cobra Commander should have a hood rather than the motor cycle helmet.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
You guys can't complain too much about how people look. Some of them look correct for the most part. Look what they did to my beloved Transformers,  it can be worse.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Oh, and in hopes of cheering you up, Roy, I remember when the character designs for the first X-Men movie came out everyone was up in arms and it looked ridiculous - but that movie turned out pretty good in my opinion.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
The only way they can make this worse is if Michael Bay directs it...

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Snake Eyes:

do not sleep on this guy. he is played by ray park who was darth maul in star wars and toad in xmen.