Author Topic: Mike Brown thinks LeBron was fouled on final drive  (Read 9466 times)

Mike Brown thinks LeBron was fouled on final drive
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
"Again, I'm not a referee because I thought he was fouled on the drive that wasn't called at the end of the game, when Kendrick bumped him," Brown said. "Again, they just have to make the calls out on the floor and we just have to live with them."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/08/rough_time_dealing_with_flagrant_call/?page=2

Are you kidding me?  Perk basically ran away from him and gave him an open layup so he didn't foul.

Re: Mike Brown thinks LeBron was fouled on final drive
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Mike Brown isn't stupid.  He knows the only way he keeps his job is to stay in LeBron's good graces.  If LeBron complains about the no-call, he looks like a cry baby.  So Brown does it for him.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, even if he was fouled, KG was fouled on his final drive, too.  The officials were letting them play, which is how I prefer it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, even if he was fouled, KG was fouled on his final drive, too.  The officials were letting them play, which is how I prefer it.

Ditto.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:07:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ditto and TP.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Has anyone noticed that LeBron has transformed himself into the Ginobli of the Eastern Conference?  I am almost sure that Flagrant 1 on Sam would never have been called if LeBron wasn't doing an audition for his next commercial.  Every time he drives he throws his arms up in the air and/or bows his head and attends to his face as if someone just slashed him with a knife.  Give him credit, he knows by and large NBA refs guess, the game is far too fast for them to actually see things, so they only have his reactions to go by.  Thankfully, on the 2nd to last drive he had, with no heavy pressure, he basically threw the ball up at the backboard while falling down and flailing his arms, but even the reactionary refs weren't buying it on that one.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Who cares what Brown thinks?  KG was fouled on his last shot and Pierce was fouled going to the basket and neither of them got calls either.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Perk did not affect that blown lay-up he did everything he could to get out of the way. Lebron missed a point blank finger roll. If they called the grab on Posey it would have hurt the Cavs because it would have been a side out with only 8.5 seconds left so by the refs not blowing the whistle, King James got a lay-up and missed it. Oh well, Brown is looking out for game 2 and Lebron will probably get a ton of calls tonight.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm a Cavs fan and even I think this lobbying is getting ridiculous.  I know Brown is trying to work the refs but this is getting ridiculous.  

Unlike some people in this forum, I am actually against 'letting them play.'  A foul is a foul, regardless of what time of the game it is.  Being able to hit someone on their way to the hoop because of the time left in the game is not good defense (Joe Smith, James Posey, Perkins) and is not how the game was intended to be played.  

Even though I don't like the 'letting them play' mentality, I have no beef with the officiating at the end of the game.  It was consistent, and that is all you can really ask for.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5

Of course, and this is the BIG "X' factor, how closely are the refs are going to call a game. I remember seeing an over the back against us not called, and that's fine so long as it's consistant. I know for a fact LeBron gets away with extra steps regularly as well as carrying the ball, he regularly gets away with refs putting on the blinders.

Now of course, the aggressive defensive play of our "Cs" throughout the regular season is just how we play, and that's what was taken away on the Atlanta home court, IMO. And that takes the heart out of a team which has been allowed season long to play that way.

In any event, brown is looking to publicly bring notice to their player not getting touch fouls and in the last minute triditionally the reffs are known to swallow their whistle unless it is extreamly obvious.

Brown is just setting the table for hopes for a tightly refereed game, Ie. Advantage:Cleveland , so long as 'Bron gets away with his travels and usual carrys... ::)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Perk did not affect that blown lay-up he did everything he could to get out of the way. Lebron missed a point blank finger roll. If they called the grab on Posey it would have hurt the Cavs because it would have been a side out with only 8.5 seconds left so by the refs not blowing the whistle, King James got a lay-up and missed it. Oh well, Brown is looking out for game 2 and Lebron will probably get a ton of calls tonight.

Actually, I am pretty sure the Cavs wanted that foul call on Posey.  If you watch how the Cavs play the end of road playoff games, they like to penetrate and dish for a 3 attempt to win the game.  I think Lebron was actually a little caugh off guard that a whistle didn't blow (knowing the Celtics had a foul to give).  Either way he needs to make that layup and there are no excuses for that loss.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Brown is just setting the table for hopes for a tightly refereed game, Ie. Advantage:Cleveland , so long as 'Bron gets away with his travels and usual carrys... ::)

Your boy Pierce tends to travel as well.  There are always 2 sides to the coin my friend.  The refs actually whistled some travels Tuesday night which was very surprising. 

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105

Actually, I am pretty sure the Cavs wanted that foul call on Posey.  If you watch how the Cavs play the end of road playoff games, they like to penetrate and dish for a 3 attempt to win the game.  I think Lebron was actually a little caugh off guard that a whistle didn't blow (knowing the Celtics had a foul to give).  Either way he needs to make that layup and there are no excuses for that loss.

I was actually relieved he took it to the hole at that point because they could have had the alst shot and I had visions of Lebron scoring at the buzzer or even worse a buzzer beating three. I was just hoping their would be enough time left for us to get a good shot to try and win it but lucikly he missed.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 03:45:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Your boy Pierce tends to travel as well.  There are always 2 sides to the coin my friend.  The refs actually whistled some travels Tuesday night which was very surprising. 

no more than any other slasher in the league, including bron bron.

For god's sake, Dwayne wade wouldn't have a career if anyone called a carry, that crossover he does is so illegal it's hillarious.

Traveling calls went out the window with sport centers top 10.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion