Author Topic: Help me pick 12 xbox games  (Read 9194 times)

Re: Help me pick 12 xbox games
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
worth noting is that GTA4 for the 360 is going to have exclusive content, at least on a time release system, micro soft ponyed up for first crack at any down loadable stuff.

also, dead rising is pure win.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
oblivion is awesome if you like rpg type games, burnout paradise, orange box, bully, kane and lynch is pretty fun,condemned 2 lots of others.lol

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
hobbs,

i am curious as to how you can pick any 12 games you want for $180? thats an unbelievable deal!

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
hobbs,

i am curious as to how you can pick any 12 games you want for $180? thats an unbelievable deal!

yea no kidding Dark, share the knowledge roy  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »

Offline Kdu12

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 10
I got Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect and barely played any other game due to time constrictions.  Both games are awesome.  CoD4 is one of the most fun online games I have ever played and Mass Effect is great too.  I can't wait until they come out with Mass Effect 2 and see how what I did in Mass Effect 1 changes the galaxy. (I guess that means I better finish it)

Unfortunately my xbox 360 time is going to be cut back drastically on May 20th when Age of Conan comes out.  Anyone else going to be playing that?

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 10:35:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
not unless i hear its gotten 100x's better than the open beta write ups.

People in the beta say its a train wreck, which would be less disturbing if the release wasn't a month away.

I'll never judge a game by it's beta, but i'm going to need to see some positive news before i drop 50 on it.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

The big problem you're gonna face Roy, is that each of these games takes many hours to complete.  Buying so many at once is going to inundate you with options.  There will be too much temptation to play one for 5 minutes, reach a tough obstacle, and flip to the next game.  Personally I'd recommend not even opening more than 2 at once.  Just concentrate on those 2, and leave the rest in their package.  Otherwise you'll miss the meat and potatoes of what these high caliber games are all about - engaging story lines with phenomenal gameplay.

Now if you're the type of guy who doesn't care if you complete a game, and you just want to own them so they look cool on a shelf in your man-cave, then have at all of them. 

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem with too many unfinished games and juggling time between family, the C's, gaming, and everyday life here in Vegas. Luckily for me I'm a stay at home dad with a 2 year old daughter so I have more free time now.(Thank God for my beautiful & hard working wife!!!)

Anyway, out of the 22 games that I own definitely would recommend the following:

1. Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 - Really liked part 1. Currently playing 2, more of the same with minor improvements.
2. Ghost Recon 1&2
3. Splinter Cell Double Agent
4. NBA 2K8
5. Saints Row
6. Lost Planet
7. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
8. Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV

Thumbs up for the four that you already mentioned.

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 11:51:35 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Oblivion: EXCELLENT game!
Forza: Great racing game
Ace Combat 6: dumb movies but the game is entertaining.
Call of Duty 4: One of the best console FPS ever. On-line is great.
HALO 3: is  just ok.
BIOSHOCK: is popular but I didn't see what the big deal was myself.

Resident Evil 5 will be a great game. But it won't be out for a long time.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »

Offline Barry Lird

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
Games I can't get enough of

1.NBA 2K8 (Streets ahead of live 08 BTW)
2. Burnout Paradise City
3. Ghost Recon (I liked 1 better than 2)
4. Forza 2
5. Star Wars Lego
6. Boston Celtics Dynasty (play as any Celtics team from the 1946 season. Recreate the dynasty.......no I'm only dreaming now) ;-)
7. World Championship Snooker
8. Pacman C.E.

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 03:17:32 AM »

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Pretty much anyone who complains about Halo 3 being "just OK" is dealing with sour grapes for not being as good at it as they are at one of the previous two iterations. (If that is the case, they patched the melee system to be more fair a month or two ago, if that was your issue.)

I'm no ace at any of them, but I'm decent, and I can say it's the only one that really gripped me. The online skill ranking system, crazy stats on bungie.net, different armors, etc., provide good motivation to play through the game, unlock things, and try to get better so you can play against better competition online. The plot is a tad wonky, but the story mode on the whole is awesome to play through on legendary.

That said, I'll go with your top-four and ignore the ones you say you have on PS3 or aren't interested in, but after that I'll only list games I can personally vouch for:

1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Mass Effect
4. Bioshock

5. Oblivion
6. GTA IV
8. NBA 2K8
9. Prey
10. Phantasy Star Universe
11. Capcom vs. SNK 2*
12. Sneak King**

* Regular Xbox, but still awesome online through 360. DOA4 and VF5 aren't bad, either, but 2D fighters are still the best.
** Sneak around and surprise people with Whoppers as the Burger King.

Xbox Live has a ton of good downloadable games like Ikaruga, Castlevania, Undertow, Aegis Wing, Contra, N+ (a ninja game), Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and basic stuff like Poker, Chess, Hearts, etc., that are also worth looking into.

I recommend going to http://xbox360.ign.com/index/reviews.html and then putting "9" and/or "8" into the drop-down window for "Show Score." That should cover all the good'uns. (GTA IV got a 10 despite its minor flaws.)

You're definitely going to have to let us know how you're going to get 12 games for $180, though.

Also, please keep your gamertag "Roy Hobbs" ... I don't know how you could go any other way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:24:31 AM by FierceLikePaulPierce »

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 05:54:23 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Forza and GTA are just a must!

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Luckily for me I'm a stay at home dad with a 2 year old daughter so I have more free time now.(Thank God for my beautiful & hard working wife!!!)

first i am envious u get to be a stay at home dad!  i have a two year old i would love to stay home with everyday!

and marvel ultimate alliance is an awesome game!

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Since you said games that are XBOX360 only, I'll leave obvious killers like Oblivion off.

As other's said, Call of Duty 4 is a lock.

Kameo is a very fun, short little gem.  It's good for the adult gamer who doesn't have 80 hours to dedicate to a game.

The Tomb Raider: Anniversary edition is pretty fun for nostalgia's sake.  If you didn't play the original, you probably will not be interested.

Condemned 1 and Condemned 2 are good if you like scary games.

Orange Box is a great deal if you don't already own those games.

I personally enjoyed Perfect Dark, but others aren't fans.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is just a pure beat-em-up, not for me.

If you like Final Fantasy type games, Lost Odyssey is supposed to be great.  I trust my friends who vouched for it.

Overlord is fun, though I only played the demo.  You can find it for cheap in most places.

The newest FIFA is GREAT fun too, even if you do not at all like soccer.  I would stress getting that if you have some friends to play with.

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
12. Sneak King**

Second!  Sneak King is hilarious.

I play a lot of RPGs so Mass Effect is great, and I really look forward to playing Lost Odyssey.  Also there is Blue Dragon which got knocked for being too simple, but it is what it is: a classic RPG.  I wouldn't get into it if you want the huge all-encompassing storyline that a Final Fantasy is going to get you, but there it is.  Like they said Orange Box is really good for Half Life 2, but Team Fortress is a lot of fun as well.  It's a silly and simple take on games like Battlefield 1942 and COD4, but most of all, it's fun as crap.  There is also another puzzle game on there called Portal which is fun and challenging.  I'll also second the Lego Star Wars* games because they rock crap (plus Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman are in the pipe), but those are multiplatform so I guess they're not applicable.  The Fable series got good reviews, so Fable 2 is there, but I never enjoyed the first one very much, personally.

Generally I play a lot of BioWare games, and since EA bought them, I don't know how much longer they'll be releasing games exclusive to XBox.  Does anyone know about this?

So I'd make my list:

Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Orange Box
Gears of War
Halo
Jade Empire**
Star Wars KOTOR**
Star Wars KOTOR2**
Conker**

*This is where I'll add that when I was in grade school as a member of the Lego Fan Club, I wrote to them asking them if they would consider making Legos from movies, and I made this point expressly:  because I would love to play with a Lego Slave One or a Lego Darth Vader.  Lego Corporate (not the Lego Fan Club) sent me back a letter handsigned and specifically written (NOT a form letter) saying that they weren't considering it at that time, but it sounded "like an awesome idea" (their words--God bless the Danish).  A few years later Star Wars Legos came out.  I'll now accept everyone's thanks for getting that done.

**Original XBox
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:32:20 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
nhl 08 if your a hockey guy like myself, best sports game ive ever played..
nba 2k8 is wayy better than live, fifa is unbelievably fun .. madden is madden.

pretty much 2/3 of my games are sports titles .. other than those i have
halo3- decent
gta4- very good
COD4- amazing
forza - fun but racing isnt my thing
enchanted arms - underrated and fun
FIGHT NIGHT - amazing amazing amazing ..