Author Topic: Julio Lugo must be stopped.  (Read 9120 times)

Julio Lugo must be stopped.
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
Julio Lugo (0-2, BS) has 10 of 20 errors on the season. His stats are boosted by blowout and pointless hits, and he's personally cost the Sox, as I alluded to earlier, 2 wins. I would not wish him on any team other than maybe the Yankees, and yet Francona seems to think his 9 million dollar contract somehow earns him a spot in the lineup. It's become clear to me that he's not simply a bad player--he is a saboteur, and along with perhpas middle relief, constitutes the only thing that can keep the Sox from a successful title defense.

We have Lowrie. He's played well enough, especially defensively, to warrant the move. How can the Sox possibly rationalize their continued indulgence of Lugo's failure addiction?

Re: Julio Lugo must be stopped.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
That was a very lame error. 
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I could not agree more. He should be riding pine from now on.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

We have Lowrie. He's played well enough, especially defensively, to warrant the move. How can the Sox possibly rationalize their continued indulgence of Lugo's failure addiction?

Lowrie is not a ML SS.  He doesnt have the range of arm strength to play the position adequately.  Even if you state that he will make less errors, he will get to less balls, and more guys will beat out grounders against him.

I am not saying Lugo is the best option for this team, but claiming Lowrie is is simply wrong. 

Until this team can find someone to trade for Lugo, he will be the everyday ss on this team.  Since they dont have anyone who is significantly better then him (and Lowrie isnt) they arent going to sit his 9 million a year on the bench. 

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:28:01 AM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161

Lowrie is not a ML SS.  He doesnt have the range of arm strength to play the position adequately.  Even if you state that he will make less errors, he will get to less balls, and more guys will beat out grounders against him.

People keep saying this, and yet in the few stints he's had at SS, he's been 100% passable. The only reason people call Lugo one is because he's been allowed to play a shortstop. Balls do get by him plenty, and even when they don't you have to deal with inaccurate throws that take a long time to get to the baseman because of his obsession with double-pumping like he's some sort of QB, and overly flashy plays. In the short time Lowrie's had to prove himself, he's done nothing to hurt his stock. In the long time Julio Lugo has had to prove himself, he's done nothing but.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:47 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

People keep saying this, and yet in the few stints he's had at SS, he's been 100% passable. The only reason people call Lugo one is because he's been allowed to play a shortstop. Balls do get by him plenty, and even when they don't you have to deal with inaccurate throws that take a long time to get to the baseman because of his obsession with double-pumping like he's some sort of QB, and overly flashy plays. In the short time Lowrie's had to prove himself, he's done nothing to hurt his stock. In the long time Julio Lugo has had to prove himself, he's done nothing but.

Except passable isnt good.  having someone that makes an occasional error and gets to more balls is better then passable.  Lowrie has yet to dispel any notion that he lacks range. 

In fact, just tonight playing 2b (where you need less range) his lack of range came into play on more then one occasion.

Again, it comes down to this, if on 10 ground balls, lugo gets to 8 of them and makes an error on 1, is that batter then lowrie getting to 6 of the same balls with no errors.  Obviously those numbers are a random shot in the dark, but they illustrate the point.  Lugo making errors but getting to more balls is still better then someone who cant get to the balls. 

Lowrie doesnt have range.  it was the knock on him coming out of stanford (which is why he wasnt thought of as a particularly good prospect despite being able to hit), it was the knock on him as he has progressed through their farm system (which is why he is projected to play 2b, which will help cover for his inadequacies).

Lets also remember that we are a month into the season and numbers can be decieving right now.  case in point is cash who is hitting well over 300 despite having a career mlb batting avg below 200.  going strictly by the numbers it seems he should be playing over varitek, although no one is going to attempt to make that argument.

Lugo isnt the best ss, not by a long shot, and it would certianly help if he could hit the ball like he used to with tb, but Lowrie is not an upgrade...

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:01:19 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Amazing how Papelbon's first blown save of the year came ... check swing weak-ass roller, error, bunt, ground out, broken bat bloop single.  Not a single well hit ball yet he allows 2 runs and loses the game.  Crazy how baseball works some times.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:36:21 AM »

Offline PP34RG4

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Thats me over Ray's right shoulder
Everything will be OK once Hanley Ramirez makes his way back to Boston.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:34 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
He's dead weight.
He's sucked for the whole time he's been here.
I don't have the stats but he seems to hit even worse, if that's possible, in the clutch.
Guess the secret to being Red Sox shortstop for more than one year is to be really bad.
But, since they managed to win it all with Lugo, maybe he's not as  bad as he looks to me. Francona isn't stupid, so Lugo must be doing something right.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i did not see the 9th, i was asleep, but i have heard what happened.

i essentially agree that lugo is brutal, but remember lowrie did not drape himself in glory last night either. he did not get to a ball in the hole, and it kicked off his glove. he fell down after a check swing in the first, resulting in a terrible double play.

all in all, i agree lugo has to go, but feel it is easier said than done because of his ridiculous salary. theo has made a lot of good moves, but his obsession with lugo was not one of them.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Theo's Achilles has been the Shortstop position.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Everything will be OK once Hanley Ramirez makes his way back to Boston.

Hanley is a great hitter, but not much better in the field than Lugo.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

I still liked Alex Gonzalez
do it

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

exactly, but he let him go and went for the higher priced option.  He did the same thing with Cabera.  Neither time did he need to make a change, but he got too smart for his own good.  I count 5 short stops since 2004....too much tinkering.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Gonzalez couldnt hit for his life.  He also got paid WAY more then he was worth.  He also made 16 errors last year in 110 games.  He also has only played 110 games since he left do to numerous injuries including a broken knee cap.  Letting Gonzalez go was the right move.

why no chants for Pokey Reese if we are going down the line of all defense no offense ss?